    WHen visiting certain sites notably .org sites internet explorer likes
    to bounce back to the homepage no matter what it is set on any
    suggestions?
    tgrynovich, Aug 25, 2006

  2. tgrynovich wrote:

    > WHen visiting certain sites notably .org sites internet explorer
    > likes to bounce back to the homepage no matter what it is set on any
    > suggestions?

    This "bouncing back" and ".org" sites have nothing to do with each
    other. If there is one *particular* .org site, then you need to list the
    URL to it.

    Recommendation: try another browser and see if the problem persists. It
    could be that your Internet Explorer is stuffed up, which is rather
    common.
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 25, 2006

  3. tgrynovich

    tgrynovich Guest

    Tried Mozilla and event tried entering it through MY Computer no Luck
    although that has worked in the past. Even added the site as a trusted
    site on the firewall as well as the PC. Other PCs in the domain have
    no problem. It seems local to a few machines Some windows 2k others xp
    with all the recent updates. SHRM.org is one of the sites that is an
    issue

    tgrynovich, Aug 25, 2006
  4. tgrynovich wrote:

    Please don't top-post.

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> tgrynovich wrote:
    >>
    >>> WHen visiting certain sites notably .org sites internet explorer
    >>> likes to bounce back to the homepage

    Let's clarify what you meant there by "homepage". Your browser's
    homepage (the page that displays when you start up the browser), or the
    main page of the site you are visiting?

    >>> no matter what it is set on any suggestions?

    >> This "bouncing back" and ".org" sites have nothing to do with each
    >> other. If there is one *particular* .org site, then you need to list
    >> the URL to it.
    >>
    >> Recommendation: try another browser and see if the problem
    >> persists. It could be that your Internet Explorer is stuffed up,
    >> which is rather common. http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    > Tried Mozilla and event tried entering it through MY Computer no Luck
    > although that has worked in the past. Even added the site as a
    > trusted site on the firewall as well as the PC. Other PCs in the
    > domain have no problem.

    Other PCs? Does "in the domain" mean in your office or such?

    > It seems local to a few machines Some windows 2k others xp with all
    > the recent updates.

    So your computer is not the only one? You could have mentioned this up
    front. Time to ask your IT department what is going on at the company's
    firewall.

    > SHRM.org is one of the sites that is an issue

    I've just visited http://shrm.org/ with no ill effects, with Firefox,
    Opera, and IE6. There is a lot of silly JavaScript on that page, like
    trying to stop me from right-clicking to copy images (which never works)
    and trying to sniff what browser I am using (old ones.)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 25, 2006
  5. tgrynovich

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-25, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    > tgrynovich wrote:
    >
    > Please don't top-post.
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Let's clarify what you meant there by "homepage". Your browser's
    > homepage (the page that displays when you start up the browser), or the
    > main page of the site you are visiting?

    snip

    > So your computer is not the only one? You could have mentioned this up
    > front. Time to ask your IT department what is going on at the company's
    > firewall.
    >
    >> SHRM.org is one of the sites that is an issue

    > I've just visited http://shrm.org/ with no ill effects, with Firefox,
    > Opera, and IE6. There is a lot of silly JavaScript on that page, like
    > trying to stop me from right-clicking to copy images (which never works)
    > and trying to sniff what browser I am using (old ones.)

    For me, Opera gets one of the two CPU threads on this 3GHz P4HT machine
    running at or close to 100% for a few seconds when I click on any of the
    links on the left below the 'search' box, and scrolling is horribly slow.
    Changing 'focus' back to Opera after bringing a different program to the
    'foreground' also makes Opera take a long time to re-draw the content.

    A less powerful PC than this one would probably struggle to do anything on
    that site. The pages don't 'validate' well.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 25, 2006
  6. Whiskers wrote:

    > A less powerful PC than this one would probably struggle to do anything on
    > that site.

    Mine's a 3.2 GHz on a 7Mbps cable connection, so there's not much lag.
    But you do have that right. The main page at shrm.org is just over a
    half-megabyte. <lol!> Most surfers would give up and go for lunch.

    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

    Global Statistics
    Total HTTP Requests: 69
    Total Size: 500740 bytes