    so, what's your opinion.
    --
    Richard
    Richard, Apr 6, 2011

  2. Richard

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <ing70l$ftb$> someone claiming to be "Richard"
    <> typed:

    >I see that Internet Explorer 9 is now appearing in Windows Update. Have any
    >of you "gurus" been playing with it or any of the pre-release versions. If
    >so, what's your opinion.

    Honestly it's the first version of IE I've ever thought about actually
    using. It's fast. Not Chrome or Firefox 4 fast, but it's fast enough
    that it's not grindingly slow touching IE after using Chrome.

    The UI is clean, much less of a mess than IE7 was, but it's a bit
    jarring if you're a hardcore IE7/8 addict, give it a week to get used to
    it before you give up.

    As usual it's got it's own set of rendering "quirks", in that it's
    "standards mode" renders some things just a little differently than IE8
    did, so sites that were otherwise actually standards compliant but
    worked around IE8 bugs might have to tweak to work in IE9.

    Honestly I'd jump on it. The previews and beta/RC was out for so long
    that waiting a week or a month won't help, web developers have either
    updated or they're not going to.

    I'd still push Chrome to the masses or FireFox to the tweakers over IE
    of any flavour, but if you're going to use IE, IE9 is definitely the
    one.
    Dave Warren, Apr 6, 2011

  3. I'm holding off for the moment. Not because I don't like it (I do), but
    because it currently has problems with the TechNet Wiki. I know that's being
    worked on, and as soon as it's resolved, I'll be moving to IE9.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/Russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Apr 7, 2011
  4. Richard

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <inkqtg$liv$> someone claiming to be "Charlie
    Russel-MVP" <> typed:

    >I'm holding off for the moment. Not because I don't like it (I do), but
    >because it currently has problems with the TechNet Wiki. I know that's being
    >worked on, and as soon as it's resolved, I'll be moving to IE9.

    <rant>What is it with Microsoft coding their sites so horribly that they
    not only aren't standards compliant enough to work with any browser, but
    that they don't even work with Microsoft's own browsers?

    MAPS download site is another good example, it's filled with warnings
    about how "browsers" have problems downloading large files, and
    suggesting you install some download manager and other garbage just to
    download an ISO. Well no, only IE struggles with downloading multi-GB
    files, other browsers work nicely, but the browser detection code on
    MAPS site returns invalid code when it doesn't detect IE. Seriously?
    </rant>

    Thanks for letting me vent.
    Dave Warren, Apr 7, 2011
  5. No problem, venting is a good thing. But in this case, it isn't really MS
    that's the problem, but the underlying platform which isn't theirs. OTOH, I
    know they're working very hard with the vendor to get the problem resolved,
    since they are obviously no happier about it than you or I.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Apr 9, 2011
  6. Horsepucky. I have no desire to get into a browser religious war, but IE is
    very much up to par, and a viable argument could be made that it's the
    safest browser out there. (Not claiming it is, just saying you could easily
    make the argument and defend it.)

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jun 28, 2011