    computer man please?

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 20, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <knd4pf$jv6$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > I recently got a new computer. I wanted to find out which version of
    > Internet Explorer I have got.
    > I clicked Help and About Internet Explorer.
    >
    > What came up was a square notice about Internet Explorer 8
    > Does this mean I have got 8 installed?

    Yes.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, May 20, 2013

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <knd4pf$jv6$>, , geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> I recently got a new computer. I wanted to find out which version of
    >> Internet Explorer I have got.
    >> I clicked Help and About Internet Explorer.
    >>
    >> What came up was a square notice about Internet Explorer 8
    >> Does this mean I have got 8 installed?

    > Yes.

    Thank you. Is there anything I need to do?

    geopelia, May 20, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <knd4pf$jv6$>, , geopelia
    >>> says...

    >>> Yes.
    >>>

    >> Thank you. Is there anything I need to do?

    > Just the regular Windows Updates. You may like to try other browsers as
    > well.
    >
    > geoff

    Thank you. I don't know enough about computers to try anything else.

    geopelia, May 20, 2013
  5. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kndces$dd$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <knd4pf$jv6$>, , geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> I recently got a new computer. I wanted to find out which version of
    > >> Internet Explorer I have got.
    > >> I clicked Help and About Internet Explorer.
    > >>
    > >> What came up was a square notice about Internet Explorer 8
    > >> Does this mean I have got 8 installed?

    > > Yes.
    > >

    > Thank you. Is there anything I need to do?

    As Geoff mentions, you should periodically check (manually) for Windows
    Update(s).

    (If you have a new computer, you'd surely be running Windows 7 - however
    your header information in your post indicates you've posted using
    Outlook Express which was discontinued w' Windows 7 - so you obviously
    have a "computer upgrade" - but kept your old Windows XP operating
    system)...

    so however, you can manually check for Windows Updates in Start, All
    Programs, Windows Update.

    It is important you maintain abreast the Critical Updates.

    Another great wee third party utility you might like to look at is
    PatchMyPC. Patch My PC requires no installation, so the best place for
    someone like you to save it to (when you download it) is the Desktop
    (not the "Downloads" folder). Then you can simply double-click its icon
    on the Desktop and see what it finds.

    Patch My PC check for Windows Updates as well, however importantly, it
    checks for updates for many third party programs. (Windows Update only
    check for Microsoft / oeprating system, updates). So programs such as
    Adobe Reader, Flash Player and Java etc. (It does an awesome job of
    updating Java, removing the old versions! - the standard Java updates do
    not remove the old versions and they get unecessarily left behind).

    Patch My PC also does the updates totally seamlessly (in the background)
    - downloading the updates required and background installing them. It's
    a 'one button' job.

    The only caveat w' Patch My PC is that you should probably run it after
    you've rebooted your PC, to ensure you are not running any programs that
    will stop the third party programs from updating (because they're
    already in use). I just say that, basically, for you - because I'm not
    sure you'd know how to be sure that programs have been closed properly.

    http://patchmypc.net/

    BTW, Microsoft have been issuing their updates for some time now on a
    regular and standard monthly basis - the 2nd Tuesday of every month.
    (Note: this is not always the 2nd Wednesday of the month for us, here in
    NZ - being about a day ahead of the USA. Check your calendar for when
    the monthly Tuesday/Wednesday break is - or.. use the 2nd Tuesday of
    every month and *then* add a day on.

    So on the 2nd (American) Tuesday of the month, it's not a bad time to
    manually check for Windows Update, and probably a good time to re-run
    PatchMyPC (which as said, you should download and save directly onto
    your Desktop (Save As...)).

    But you know what - I think you should get in touch with a guy that
    posts here quite regularly - ~misfit" - as I think he might be able to
    help you out with small problems that could be fixed remotely, for free.
    (I don't know the guy from a bar of soap :) ) - but yer never know, he
    seems like a helpful and knowledable guy. There is simply no need, in
    my opinion, for your 'computer man' to come out to your place, when many
    of the problems or queries you have, can be solved by a phone call in
    conjuntion with remote control on your PC. TeamViewer is an excellent
    remote control program... you could be talking (on the phone) to
    someone, say ~misfit~, in Auckland, and let him make a remote connection
    to your PC, and then you could maybe show him what you are trying to do
    or achieve, and then he could show you how it's done. Both parties are
    talking on the phone, and both parties can see what's going on, on your
    PC.

    So consider that. At the least, your 'computer man' should be doing the
    same.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, May 21, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <kndces$dd$>, , geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <knd4pf$jv6$>, , geopelia
    >> > says...

    >> > Yes.
    >> >

    >> Thank you. Is there anything I need to do?

    > As Geoff mentions, you should periodically check (manually) for Windows
    > Update(s).

    Updates come in automatically. I get the message that updates are ready for
    the computer, and install them.

    > (If you have a new computer, you'd surely be running Windows 7 - however
    > your header information in your post indicates you've posted using
    > Outlook Express which was discontinued w' Windows 7 - so you obviously
    > have a "computer upgrade" - but kept your old Windows XP operating
    > system)...

    I wanted everything transferred to the new computer just as it was. It was
    only the machine that was getting a bit old, around 12 years.
    Apart from Favourites containing a lot of technical and other stuff that I
    never put in there, it seems just the same. It is still XP.
    It was hard enough learning that, after Windows ME.

    > so however, you can manually check for Windows Updates in Start, All
    > Programs, Windows Update.

    Yes, I do that.

    > It is important you maintain abreast the Critical Updates.
    >
    > Another great wee third party utility you might like to look at is
    > PatchMyPC. Patch My PC requires no installation, so the best place for
    > someone like you to save it to (when you download it) is the Desktop
    > (not the "Downloads" folder). Then you can simply double-click its icon
    > on the Desktop and see what it finds.
    >
    > Patch My PC check for Windows Updates as well, however importantly, it
    > checks for updates for many third party programs. (Windows Update only
    > check for Microsoft / oeprating system, updates). So programs such as
    > Adobe Reader, Flash Player and Java etc. (It does an awesome job of
    > updating Java, removing the old versions! - the standard Java updates do
    > not remove the old versions and they get unecessarily left behind).
    >
    > Patch My PC also does the updates totally seamlessly (in the background)
    > - downloading the updates required and background installing them. It's
    > a 'one button' job.
    >
    > The only caveat w' Patch My PC is that you should probably run it after
    > you've rebooted your PC, to ensure you are not running any programs that
    > will stop the third party programs from updating (because they're
    > already in use). I just say that, basically, for you - because I'm not
    > sure you'd know how to be sure that programs have been closed properly.
    >
    > http://patchmypc.net/

    Adobe lets me know when it needs updating. I think Adobe has a Flash Player.
    I don't know if I have got Java, I never see anything about that.

    I'll have a look at Patch My PC.

    > BTW, Microsoft have been issuing their updates for some time now on a
    > regular and standard monthly basis - the 2nd Tuesday of every month.
    > (Note: this is not always the 2nd Wednesday of the month for us, here in
    > NZ - being about a day ahead of the USA. Check your calendar for when
    > the monthly Tuesday/Wednesday break is - or.. use the 2nd Tuesday of
    > every month and *then* add a day on.
    >
    > So on the 2nd (American) Tuesday of the month, it's not a bad time to
    > manually check for Windows Update, and probably a good time to re-run
    > PatchMyPC (which as said, you should download and save directly onto
    > your Desktop (Save As...)).
    >

    > But you know what - I think you should get in touch with a guy that
    > posts here quite regularly - ~misfit" - as I think he might be able to
    > help you out with small problems that could be fixed remotely, for free.
    > (I don't know the guy from a bar of soap :) ) - but yer never know, he
    > seems like a helpful and knowledable guy. There is simply no need, in
    > my opinion, for your 'computer man' to come out to your place, when many
    > of the problems or queries you have, can be solved by a phone call in
    > conjuntion with remote control on your PC. TeamViewer is an excellent
    > remote control program... you could be talking (on the phone) to
    > someone, say ~misfit~, in Auckland, and let him make a remote connection
    > to your PC, and then you could maybe show him what you are trying to do
    > or achieve, and then he could show you how it's done. Both parties are
    > talking on the phone, and both parties can see what's going on, on your
    > PC.
    >
    > So consider that. At the least, your 'computer man' should be doing the
    > same.

    I ask what seem to be simple questions here, and people kindly tell me what
    to do.

    The computer man can now get into my computer when I click something. It
    will save him coming out here.
    He fixed that up when we got the new computer going.
    Now I've got Broadband, I can use the phone and the computer at the same
    time. That was a problem on dail up.

    I googled "Geopelia". Over 60 pages of sites mainly about the Geopelia
    doves, with pictures.
    But I was astonished to find some of my newsgroup posts going back to 2004.
    They say the computer knows everything!

    I've answered throughout your message, hope that is OK.

    Thanks for your help. I'll print your post out to refer to.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 22, 2013