    With IE8, what are the pros/cons about using the 64 bit version instead of
    the x86 version.

    Thanks
    Wasted, Mar 23, 2009

  2. Wasted

    S.SubZero Guest

    IE8 x64 is no different as far as pros and cons from IE7 x64. It
    still can't use 32-bit plugins (ie. Flash).

    S.SubZero, Mar 23, 2009

  3. Wasted

    Carlos Guest

    Same pros/cons as IE7x86 vs IE7x64.
    Good news is that you can have x64 Java (both IE7 and IE8) now.
    https://jdk6.dev.java.net/6uNea.html
    If you can live without Flash (who cant?), go for the x64 version.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 23, 2009
  4. Wasted

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Wasted.

    With Vista x64, when you download and install IE8, you will automatically
    get BOTH the x86 and x64 versions of IE8. The x64 version will install in
    C:\Program Files, and the x86 version will install in C:\Program Files
    (x86). You won't even be asked; it will just happen that way. Just like
    with IE7 in the original Vista x64.

    Unless you change it, the x86 version will always run, by default. As with
    IE7, you can explicitly select the x64 version of IE8.

    To run IE8 x64, just browse with Windows Explorer to C:\Program
    Files\Internet Explorer and click on iexplore.exe. As with any other
    application, you can make a shortcut, or pin it to your Start menu, or put
    it in Quick Launch...or any of the other ways to start a program. You can
    even make the x64 version the default. Once launched, the way to tell them
    apart is with Help | About Internet Explorer: The x64 version says "64-bit
    Edition" after the version number; the 32-bit version just has a blank space
    there. Why not create TWO icons on your desktop? But be sure to label them
    so that you can tell which is which.

    The way to find out which version is best - for you - is to try them both on
    your favorite web sites. You may decide to use them both - at different
    times - or even at the same time! - for different reasons. It's up to you
    and nobody but YOU can decide which is best for YOU.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000

    R. C. White, Mar 24, 2009
  5. Wasted

    Wasted Guest

    "Wasted" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings
    >
    > I have Vista 64 bit, but have been using the x86 version of IE 7.
    >
    > With IE8, what are the pros/cons about using the 64 bit version instead of
    > the x86 version.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks for the info guys
    Wasted, Mar 24, 2009
  6. I have Internet Explorer 8 on Vista 64-bit and Start->All Programs at the
    top has a shortcut to the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer. I checked
    and it is Internet Explorer 8 as well.

    Regards
    Chris Saunders

    Chris Saunders, Mar 25, 2009
  7. Wasted

    Wasted Guest

    "Chris Saunders" <> wrote in message
    > I have Internet Explorer 8 on Vista 64-bit and Start->All Programs at the
    > top has a shortcut to the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer. I checked
    > and it is Internet Explorer 8 as well.
    >
    > Regards
    > Chris Saunders
    >
    > "Wasted" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Wasted" <> wrote in message
    >>> Greetings
    >>>
    >>> I have Vista 64 bit, but have been using the x86 version of IE 7.
    >>>
    >>> With IE8, what are the pros/cons about using the 64 bit version instead
    >>> of the x86 version.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Thanks for the info guys

    Well I've installed IE8, and it's still slower than Firefox at starting up.
    Wasted, Mar 25, 2009
  8. Wasted

    BP Guest

    Hope I'm not too off topic, but what are your reactions to IE8?
    Recommendations?

    BP, Mar 25, 2009
  9. Wasted

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    The 125% zoom is a blessing for my eyes.
    Much better implemented than IE7.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 26, 2009
  10. Wasted

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "Wasted"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >Well I've installed IE8, and it's still slower than Firefox at starting up.

    Which says a lot, given what a pig Firefox has become.
    Dave Warren, Mar 26, 2009
  11. From Maximum PC which says "After being released on Thursday of last week,
    IE8's market share ramped up to 2.59 percent on Sunday. By Monday, that
    number dropped to 1.86 percent and today sits at 1.17 percent. " which
    means people aren't impressed with it and are going back to IE7. The whole
    article is on the Max website and is about 3 days old.
    =====================

    David B. Mathews, Mar 26, 2009
  12. Wasted

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "David
    B. Mathews" <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >From Maximum PC which says "After being released on Thursday of last week,
    >IE8's market share ramped up to 2.59 percent on Sunday. By Monday, that
    >number dropped to 1.86 percent and today sits at 1.17 percent. " which
    >means people aren't impressed with it and are going back to IE7. The whole
    >article is on the Max website and is about 3 days old.

    That says people aren't impressed with it, although I don't see any
    mention of IE7.

    The same thing happened with Chrome, people poked at it for a couple
    days then went back to whatever they're comfortable with.

    I don't see many people actually uninstalling IE8, it's interface is
    similar enough to IE7 that it's not a massive shift, rather I suspect
    the initial burst was borrowed from users of competing browsers taking a
    look at IE8 before eventually returning to their browser of preference.
    Dave Warren, Mar 27, 2009