    mins last night and still the same message. Just after seeing if any 1 had
    the same problem and found a solution. I would be gratefull of any feedback.

    Thanks.
    BARRY ANDERSON, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Thanks I do however have a connection to the Internet. As soon as I remove
    the IE 7 update and go back to IE 6 everything works fine.
    "Barry MPLS-MCDST" <Barry > wrote in
    message news:...

    BARRY ANDERSON, Jan 11, 2007

  3. did you even get a chance to do the "runonce" webpage?

    Keith Chilton, Jan 11, 2007
  4. It just freezes and there is a blank screen with the word connecting at the
    top, and that is the way it stays. As I say the longest I left it was about
    30 mins . Also when you try to close it, it doesn't respond. You then get
    the mandatory option of sending an error report.

    BARRY ANDERSON, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Click Start > Run and type in cmd

    When the command prompt box opens type in
    ping google.com

    Come back with your results. Your DNS Server could be at fault among many
    things. Do you have modem, DSL, Cable? How are you connecting? What is your
    pathway to the web? Is your router pingable?

    Keith Chilton, Jan 12, 2007
  6. Have you tried starting IE7 in no add-ons mode? To do so, right-click
    the IE7 icon on your desktop and then choose "Start Without Add-Ons."
    If you are able to connect, you'll want to use Tools --> Manage Add-Ons
    to selectively enable and disable add-ons until you locate the one that
    is causing the problem.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Jan 12, 2007
  7. thats good advice too about the add-ons to IE... disable all of them,
    reboot, try again

    --
    Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
    River Valley Financial Bank

    Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
    contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
    applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

    Keith Chilton, Jan 12, 2007
  8. I tried to disable all add on's and it still responds the same way.

    BARRY ANDERSON, Jan 12, 2007
  9. I thought about something else you may need to consider Barry. Make sure you
    don't have a Proxy connection setup. I know this will cause the
    Connecting... to appear in IE when it is like that and it shouldn't be
    there.. it is at

    Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings button > uncheck "use
    a proxy server for your LAN"

    Hopefully it is checked and you need to uncheck this...

    Keith Chilton, Jan 12, 2007
  10. I dont have a Proxy connection set up. My settinds are the same as on my
    other PC and the update works fine I dont have any problems.

    BARRY ANDERSON, Jan 12, 2007
  11. BARRY ANDERSON

    TurkReno Guest

    "BARRY ANDERSON" <> wrote in news:#$4iGinNHHA.1248
    @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

    > Subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7
    > From: "BARRY ANDERSON" <>
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcdst
    >
    > I dont have a Proxy connection set up. My settinds are the same as on

    my
    > other PC and the update works fine I dont have any problems.

    Even today the problem still exists? Because I was just going to let
    everyone here just hash it out for a while. If it was temporary, I
    would have assumed that the servers were acting up or overloaded for IE7
    downloads. Have you attempted a complete re-install of IE7, or
    redownloading the .MSI/EXE file? Sorry if I haven't read, I just
    haven't cared to respond until now.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP #50
    TurkReno, Jan 12, 2007
  12. you're sure you dont have a beta version or the release candidate 1
    installed right?

    Keith Chilton, Jan 12, 2007
  13. Did your problem ever go away Barry?

    Keith Chilton, Jan 14, 2007
  14. Sad to say Im still trying to figure out why it wont work.

    BARRY ANDERSON, Jan 15, 2007
  15. Try the following Barry. Also, you may want to go to Internet Options and
    make your homepage "about:blank" do debug this problem. Please tell me
    anything you see in the status bar as well while it is "Connecting..." Watch
    it very carefully as soon as you try a website. I want to help you solve
    your problem. You said that it works ok with IE6 is that correct? And you
    have made sure there are no proxy's set up also and do not have RC1 , Beta1
    or Beta2 versions installed correct? To make sure uninstall ver 7 and do a
    windowsupdate.com on the system, you will get the correct version of IE7
    when doing this. Also during this debugging I suggest you turn off all
    antivirus and everything you can in the notification area. And what the heck
    turn the firewall off too. We'll get it figured out promise... Try
    below..After getting it installed do not forget to restart the system.

    Internet Connection Settings--If you notice a problem connecting to
    websites, it might be because the upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 changed
    your Internet connection settings from what they were set at in Internet
    Explorer 6. To work around the problem, follow these steps:

    1.. Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, and then click
    Internet Options.
    2.. Click the Connections tab.
    3.. Click the first entry in the Dialup and Virtual Private Networks list,
    and then click Settings.
    4.. Select the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK.
    5.. Repeat the previous two steps for each entry in the Dialup and Virtual
    Private Networks list.
    6.. Click the Lan Settings button in the Connections tab, and repeat steps
    4-6. Click OK on the Connections tab.
    7.. Close Internet Explorer, and then restart it.
    Keith Chilton, Jan 15, 2007
  16. BARRY ANDERSON

    TurkReno Guest

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in

    > Try the following Barry. Also, you may want to go to Internet Options
    > and make your homepage "about:blank" do debug this problem. Please
    > tell me anything you see in the status bar as well while it is
    > "Connecting..." Watch it very carefully as soon as you try a website.
    > I want to help you solve your problem. You said that it works ok with
    > IE6 is that correct? And you have made sure there are no proxy's set
    > up also and do not have RC1 , Beta1 or Beta2 versions installed
    > correct? To make sure uninstall ver 7 and do a windowsupdate.com on
    > the system, you will get the correct version of IE7 when doing this.
    > Also during this debugging I suggest you turn off all antivirus and
    > everything you can in the notification area. And what the heck turn
    > the firewall off too. We'll get it figured out promise... Try
    > below..After getting it installed do not forget to restart the system.
    >
    > Internet Connection Settings--If you notice a problem connecting to
    > websites, it might be because the upgrade to Internet Explorer 7
    > changed your Internet connection settings from what they were set at
    > in Internet Explorer 6. To work around the problem, follow these
    > steps:
    >
    > 1.. Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, and then click
    > Internet Options.
    > 2.. Click the Connections tab.
    > 3.. Click the first entry in the Dialup and Virtual Private Networks
    > list,
    > and then click Settings.
    > 4.. Select the Automatically detect settings check box, and then
    > click OK. 5.. Repeat the previous two steps for each entry in the
    > Dialup and Virtual
    > Private Networks list.
    > 6.. Click the Lan Settings button in the Connections tab, and repeat
    > steps
    > 4-6. Click OK on the Connections tab.
    > 7.. Close Internet Explorer, and then restart it.

    I'd start looking at command line if I were you.
    TurkReno, Jan 16, 2007
  17. I did as you instructed. However after I install the correct version of IE7
    from windowsupdate.com I cant click Tools as the programm just freezes It
    wont respond period. When launched I just get the same connecting message
    and nothing else. I also remmembered something today I did have it installed
    then 1 day it froze. So I uninstalled it and I havnt been able to reinstall
    it as yet.

    BARRY ANDERSON, Jan 16, 2007
  18. BARRY ANDERSON

    TurkReno Guest

    "BARRY ANDERSON" <> wrote in

    > I did as you instructed. However after I install the correct version
    > of IE7 from windowsupdate.com I cant click Tools as the programm just
    > freezes It wont respond period. When launched I just get the same
    > connecting message and nothing else. I also remmembered something
    > today I did have it installed then 1 day it froze. So I uninstalled it
    > and I havnt been able to reinstall it as yet.

    Sounds like some driver issues to me...that or the registry.
    TurkReno, Jan 16, 2007
  19. Try accessing the Internet Options through the control panel...
    Network and Internet Connections > Internet Options

    Maybe you should look into going into the control panel's Add/Remove
    Programs and Add/Remove Windows Components and de-select Internet Explorer
    restart and then select it again and restart

    ARE YOU SURE you don't have a Hijacked browser on our hands?
    Spyware/Viruses/Adware?

    Do you have the "Hijack This Utility"? If not , here. Not sure if you'll be
    able to get it from your PC, but...It is zipped up btw because i couldnt
    upload the exe file.

    http://www.geocities.com/kchilton27/hijack.zip
    Keith Chilton, Jan 16, 2007
  20. Any luck yet Barry? I'm very curious as to what your problem is

    Keith Chilton, Jan 19, 2007