    And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?

    Thanks

    Dave

    Dave C., Jul 13, 2011

  2. "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
    > now) it will not be supported. Before I install Explorer 7 is there
    > anything I should know about before installing?
    >
    > And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    I moved straight from 6 to 8. 7 gets lots of bad press, and I see no point
    in using it.

    I resisted both 7 and 8 for a long time because I saw the only benefit was
    Tabbed Browsing, and I saw no benefit in that at all. I simply opened
    multiple instances of IE if I wanted to preserve whichever page I was on
    while visiting another.

    Now that I use IE8 and learned how to use tabs, I can't imagine how I made
    it through the day without tabs. Tabs are the most wonderful thing since the
    wheel.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 13, 2011

  3. Dave C.

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 13, 4:23 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "Dave C." <> wrote in message

    > >I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
    > > now) it will not be supported.  Before I install Explorer 7 is there
    > > anything I should know about before installing?

    > > And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?

    > > Thanks

    > > Dave

    > I moved straight from 6 to 8. 7 gets lots of bad press, and I see no point
    > in using it.
    >
    > I resisted both 7 and 8 for a long time because I saw the only benefit was
    > Tabbed Browsing, and I saw no benefit in that at all. I simply opened
    > multiple instances of IE if I wanted to preserve whichever page I was on
    > while visiting another.
    >
    > Now that I use IE8 and learned how to use tabs, I can't imagine how I made
    > it through the day without tabs. Tabs are the most wonderful thing since the
    > wheel.

    _______________________
    I've only one gripe with Internet Explorer 8 and forward: right click
    on a section of bookmarks under "Favorites" and tell me what happens.
    Hint(It doesn't happen with IE7 or earlier gens).

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 13, 2011
  4. Dave C. was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    > I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
    > now) it will not be supported. Before I install Explorer 7 is there
    > anything I should know about before installing?
    >
    > And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    If you're going to stick with Internet Explorer, then go directly to
    IE8. I've never heard anything good about IE7, and being on IE8 might
    be easier to upgrade to IE9.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov

    James D Andrews, Jul 14, 2011
  5. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > Dave C. was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    >> I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
    >> now) it will not be supported. Before I install Explorer 7 is there
    >> anything I should know about before installing?
    >>
    >> And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Dave

    > If you're going to stick with Internet Explorer, then go directly to IE8.
    > I've never heard anything good about IE7, and being on IE8 might be easier
    > to upgrade to IE9.

    Except that the OS that uses IE9 does not support IE6, and the OS that uses
    IE6 will not support IE9. So, given the OS that the OP has, IE8 is the end
    of the line for him. There is no upgrade beyond IE8, unless it is made by
    another vendor -- in which case it won't be IE9.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 14, 2011
  6. ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > On Jul 13, 4:23 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >> "Dave C." <> wrote in message

    >>> I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
    >>> now) it will not be supported.  Before I install Explorer 7 is there
    >>> anything I should know about before installing?
    >>> And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?
    >>> Thanks

    >>> Dave

    >> I moved straight from 6 to 8. 7 gets lots of bad press, and I see no point
    >> in using it.
    >>
    >> I resisted both 7 and 8 for a long time because I saw the only benefit was
    >> Tabbed Browsing, and I saw no benefit in that at all. I simply opened
    >> multiple instances of IE if I wanted to preserve whichever page I was on
    >> while visiting another.
    >>
    >> Now that I use IE8 and learned how to use tabs, I can't imagine how I made
    >> it through the day without tabs. Tabs are the most wonderful thing since the
    >> wheel.

    > _______________________
    > I've only one gripe with Internet Explorer 8 and forward: right click
    > on a section of bookmarks under "Favorites" and tell me what happens.
    > Hint(It doesn't happen with IE7 or earlier gens).
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    Um, on IE8, if you right click on one of the bookmarks themselves, you
    get the menu options:

    Open, Print, Scan Antivirus (if installed), Send To, Cut, Copy, Create
    Shortcut, Delete, Rename, Sort by Name, and Properties.

    If you right click on the Favorites item itself, you get the menu
    options for arrangement of the IE Menu/Taskbar and associated Toolbars.

    What here is different from IE6?

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

    James D Andrews, Jul 14, 2011
  7. Jeff Strickland was thinking very hard and all he could come up with
    was:
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> Dave C. was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    >>> I presently have Explorer 6 installed on my computer, but soon (if not
    >>> now) it will not be supported. Before I install Explorer 7 is there
    >>> anything I should know about before installing?
    >>>
    >>> And should I choose Explorer 8 over Explorer 7?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Dave

    >> If you're going to stick with Internet Explorer, then go directly to IE8.
    >> I've never heard anything good about IE7, and being on IE8 might be easier
    >> to upgrade to IE9.
    >>

    > Except that the OS that uses IE9 does not support IE6, and the OS that uses
    > IE6 will not support IE9. So, given the OS that the OP has, IE8 is the end of
    > the line for him. There is no upgrade beyond IE8, unless it is made by
    > another vendor -- in which case it won't be IE9.

    That's assuming he doesn't upgrade his OS anytime soon. :)

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
    and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
    swept off to.
    -Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

    James D Andrews, Jul 14, 2011
  8. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    >> "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>> Dave C. was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:

    >>> If you're going to stick with Internet Explorer, then go directly to
    >>> IE8. I've never heard anything good about IE7, and being on IE8 might be
    >>> easier to upgrade to IE9.
    >>>

    >> Except that the OS that uses IE9 does not support IE6, and the OS that
    >> uses IE6 will not support IE9. So, given the OS that the OP has, IE8 is
    >> the end of the line for him. There is no upgrade beyond IE8, unless it is
    >> made by another vendor -- in which case it won't be IE9.

    > That's assuming he doesn't upgrade his OS anytime soon. :)

    But if he upgrades his OS, then the migration to IE9 will not be dependent
    upon having IE8 first. You said that upgrading to IE9 might be easier if he
    has IE8 first. I'm saying that there is no relationship in that migration
    because his current OS does not support IE9, so he will never have it with
    the OS he is using. When he changes the OS, then the decision of IE8 or IE9
    will be made by the OS, not the then-current level of IE that is installed.

    I happen to agree with you that he skip IE7 and go straight to IE8, but
    having IE8 or not will play no role in the migration to IE9. That migration
    will be controlled by the upgrade of the OS, not the browser.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 14, 2011
  9. Jeff Strickland banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    >>> "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message

    >>> Except that the OS that uses IE9 does not support IE6, and the OS that
    >>> uses IE6 will not support IE9. So, given the OS that the OP has, IE8 is
    >>> the end of the line for him. There is no upgrade beyond IE8, unless it is
    >>> made by another vendor -- in which case it won't be IE9.

    >> That's assuming he doesn't upgrade his OS anytime soon. :)
    >>

    > But if he upgrades his OS, then the migration to IE9 will not be dependent
    > upon having IE8 first. You said that upgrading to IE9 might be easier if he
    > has IE8 first. I'm saying that there is no relationship in that migration
    > because his current OS does not support IE9, so he will never have it with
    > the OS he is using. When he changes the OS, then the decision of IE8 or IE9
    > will be made by the OS, not the then-current level of IE that is installed.
    >
    > I happen to agree with you that he skip IE7 and go straight to IE8, but
    > having IE8 or not will play no role in the migration to IE9. That migration
    > will be controlled by the upgrade of the OS, not the browser.

    You are absolutely right, sir, and I sit corrected.

    Obviously, I didn't think of it in that viewpoint as I wrote it,
    focused instead on the point of upgrading rather than OS comparison.

    Glad we agree on the IE8, though having seen the ways of the dark side,
    I recommend avoiding IE altogether. But given the two...

    Cheers.

    James D Andrews, Jul 14, 2011
  10. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    On Jul 14, 1:39 pm, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    > Jeff Strickland banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    >

    > > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > >> Jeff Strickland was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:

    > >> That's assuming he doesn't upgrade his OS anytime soon. :)

    > > But if he upgrades his OS, then the migration to IE9 will not be dependent
    > > upon having IE8 first. You said that upgrading to IE9 might be easier if he
    > > has IE8 first. I'm saying that there is no relationship in that migration
    > > because his current OS does not support IE9, so he will never have it with
    > > the OS he is using. When he changes the OS, then the decision of IE8 orIE9
    > > will be made by the OS, not the then-current level of IE that is installed.

    > > I happen to agree with you that he skip IE7 and go straight to IE8, but
    > > having IE8 or not will play no role in the migration to IE9. That migration
    > > will be controlled by the upgrade of the OS, not the browser.

    > You are absolutely right, sir, and I sit corrected.
    >
    > Obviously, I didn't think of it in that viewpoint as I wrote it,
    > focused instead on the point of upgrading rather than OS comparison.
    >
    > Glad we agree on the IE8, though having seen the ways of the dark side,
    > I recommend avoiding IE altogether.  But given the two...
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim
    >
    > "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    > troublesome."
    > - Isaac Asimov

    It is very clear that IE8 is the choice. The reason I didn't go to
    IE7 is because of some negatives about IE7. Thanks for all the other
    information....very interesting.

    Best regards,

    Dave

    Dave C., Jul 14, 2011
  11. Dave C.

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 14, 1:05 pm, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    >

    > > On Jul 13, 4:23 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > >> "Dave C." <> wrote in message

    > >> I moved straight from 6 to 8. 7 gets lots of bad press, and I see no point
    > >> in using it.

    > >> I resisted both 7 and 8 for a long time because I saw the only benefitwas
    > >> Tabbed Browsing, and I saw no benefit in that at all. I simply opened
    > >> multiple instances of IE if I wanted to preserve whichever page I was on
    > >> while visiting another.

    > >> Now that I use IE8 and learned how to use tabs, I can't imagine how I made
    > >> it through the day without tabs. Tabs are the most wonderful thing since the
    > >> wheel.

    > > _______________________
    > > I've only one gripe with Internet Explorer 8 and forward:  right click
    > > on a section of bookmarks under "Favorites" and tell me what happens.
    > > Hint(It doesn't happen with IE7 or earlier gens).

    > > -ChrisCoaster

    > Um, on IE8, if you right click on one of the bookmarks themselves, you
    > get the menu options:
    >
    > Open, Print, Scan Antivirus (if installed), Send To, Cut, Copy, Create
    > Shortcut, Delete, Rename, Sort by Name, and Properties.
    >
    > If you right click on the Favorites item itself, you get the menu
    > options for arrangement of the IE Menu/Taskbar and associated Toolbars.
    >
    > What here is different from IE6?
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim
    >
    > "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    > - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')- Hide quoted text -

    _______________________

    On IE7 and earlier, if you right click on a group of shortcuts and
    left click the menu item "Sort by name" they sort by name.

    On IE8 to current, if you right click on a group of shortcuts and
    select "Sort by name", they sort by name and the Faves list closes.
    PITA!

    It's a subtle difference, although I'm the type to notice such details
    as the hair on the elephant in the room but not notice the elephant
    itself. LOL.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 15, 2011
  12. ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > On Jul 14, 1:05 pm, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    >> ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :

    >>> _______________________
    >>> I've only one gripe with Internet Explorer 8 and forward:  right click
    >>> on a section of bookmarks under "Favorites" and tell me what happens.
    >>> Hint(It doesn't happen with IE7 or earlier gens).
    >>> -ChrisCoaster

    >> Um, on IE8, if you right click on one of the bookmarks themselves, you
    >> get the menu options:
    >>
    >> Open, Print, Scan Antivirus (if installed), Send To, Cut, Copy, Create
    >> Shortcut, Delete, Rename, Sort by Name, and Properties.
    >>
    >> If you right click on the Favorites item itself, you get the menu
    >> options for arrangement of the IE Menu/Taskbar and associated Toolbars.
    >>
    >> What here is different from IE6?
    >>
    >> --
    >> -There are some who call me...
    >> Jim
    >>
    >> "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    >> - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')- Hide quoted text -

    > _______________________
    >
    > On IE7 and earlier, if you right click on a group of shortcuts and
    > left click the menu item "Sort by name" they sort by name.
    >
    > On IE8 to current, if you right click on a group of shortcuts and
    > select "Sort by name", they sort by name and the Faves list closes.
    > PITA!
    >
    > It's a subtle difference, although I'm the type to notice such details
    > as the hair on the elephant in the room but not notice the elephant
    > itself. LOL.
    >
    > -CC

    Wow. Never noticed that. Then again, I don't think I've ever Sorted
    by Name. I keep my stuff in order of frequency or importance.
    Ya learn sumfin new every day :)

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

    James D Andrews, Jul 15, 2011
  13. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    >> On Jul 14, 1:05 pm, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    >>> ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :

    >>> Um, on IE8, if you right click on one of the bookmarks themselves, you
    >>> get the menu options:
    >>>
    >>> Open, Print, Scan Antivirus (if installed), Send To, Cut, Copy, Create
    >>> Shortcut, Delete, Rename, Sort by Name, and Properties.
    >>>
    >>> If you right click on the Favorites item itself, you get the menu
    >>> options for arrangement of the IE Menu/Taskbar and associated Toolbars.
    >>>
    >>> What here is different from IE6?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> -There are some who call me...
    >>> Jim
    >>>
    >>> "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    >>> - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')- Hide quoted text -

    >> _______________________
    >>
    >> On IE7 and earlier, if you right click on a group of shortcuts and
    >> left click the menu item "Sort by name" they sort by name.
    >>
    >> On IE8 to current, if you right click on a group of shortcuts and
    >> select "Sort by name", they sort by name and the Faves list closes.
    >> PITA!
    >>
    >> It's a subtle difference, although I'm the type to notice such details
    >> as the hair on the elephant in the room but not notice the elephant
    >> itself. LOL.
    >>
    >> -CC

    > Wow. Never noticed that. Then again, I don't think I've ever Sorted by
    > Name. I keep my stuff in order of frequency or importance.
    > Ya learn sumfin new every day :)
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim

    One can click and drag favorites to any sort order one wants. You can
    alphabetize your favorites, then drag the most favorite favorites to the top
    if they alphabetize to the bottom.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 16, 2011
  14. Dave C.

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 15, 8:18 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:

    > One can click and drag favorites to any sort order one wants. You can
    > alphabetize your favorites, then drag the most favorite favorites to the top
    > if they alphabetize to the bottom.- Hide quoted text -

    I find that easier to do in "Organize Favs" mode. But as part of MS's
    "dumbing down" effort alphabetizing a set of favorites closes
    favorites after performing that sort. I just think it shold stay open
    - a la IE7 or earlier - until one makes a selection or clicks off the
    favorites.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 16, 2011