    Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks
    , Apr 12, 2007

  2. Jan B Guest

    <> schreef in bericht
    news:...
    > Hello! I am looking for clues and hopefully a new direction to look
    > in
    > for this weird one..
    > Internet Explorer 6 no longer gives the option to "Remember my
    > password"
    > I have tried the following:
    > 1. Check Protected storage service; it is set to auto and is started
    > 2. Create the DisablePasswordCaching DWORD value in
    > (HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    > \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings):
    > The value is set to 0
    > 3. Made sure the the autocomplete is set to prompt to save
    > passwords.
    > Anyone ever had or heard of anything like this? I think I have just
    > about reached the end of the internet with all my searching for
    > clues
    > on this one....I see lots of people WANT this (feature??) to be
    > unavailable (and btw by using step 2 above you can remove the
    > option,
    > just change the dword value to 1 and to get the checkbox back change
    > it to 0) but not many are having problems with it missing.
    > I don't think it is a group policy setting, but wouldn't rule it
    > out..it would have to have been set accidentally though since none
    > of
    > us created a policy for that purpose.
    > Maybe a MS security update?
    > Any ideas appreciated.
    > Thanks

    See
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/customizing/autocomplete.mspx
    Jan B, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Apr 12, 2:30 pm, wrote:
    > Hello! I am looking for clues and hopefully a new direction to look in
    > for this weird one..
    > Internet Explorer 6 no longer gives the option to "Remember my
    > password"
    > I have tried the following:
    > 1. Check Protected storage service; it is set to auto and is started
    > 2. Create the DisablePasswordCaching DWORD value in (HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    > \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings):
    > The value is set to 0
    > 3. Made sure the the autocomplete is set to prompt to save passwords.
    > Anyone ever had or heard of anything like this? I think I have just
    > about reached the end of the internet with all my searching for clues
    > on this one....I see lots of people WANT this (feature??) to be
    > unavailable (and btw by using step 2 above you can remove the option,
    > just change the dword value to 1 and to get the checkbox back change
    > it to 0) but not many are having problems with it missing.
    > I don't think it is a group policy setting, but wouldn't rule it
    > out..it would have to have been set accidentally though since none of
    > us created a policy for that purpose.
    > Maybe a MS security update?
    > Any ideas appreciated.
    > Thanks

    **installing IE 7 is not an option either. thnx
    , Apr 12, 2007
  4. Jason Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 12, 2:30 pm, wrote:
    >> Hello! I am looking for clues and hopefully a new direction to look in
    >> for this weird one..
    >> Internet Explorer 6 no longer gives the option to "Remember my
    >> password"
    >> I have tried the following:
    >> 1. Check Protected storage service; it is set to auto and is started
    >> 2. Create the DisablePasswordCaching DWORD value in (HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    >> \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings):
    >> The value is set to 0
    >> 3. Made sure the the autocomplete is set to prompt to save passwords.
    >> Anyone ever had or heard of anything like this? I think I have just
    >> about reached the end of the internet with all my searching for clues
    >> on this one....I see lots of people WANT this (feature??) to be
    >> unavailable (and btw by using step 2 above you can remove the option,
    >> just change the dword value to 1 and to get the checkbox back change
    >> it to 0) but not many are having problems with it missing.
    >> I don't think it is a group policy setting, but wouldn't rule it
    >> out..it would have to have been set accidentally though since none of
    >> us created a policy for that purpose.
    >> Maybe a MS security update?
    >> Any ideas appreciated.
    >> Thanks

    > **installing IE 7 is not an option either. thnx

    Just out of curiousity...

    Did this begin occuring after installing or uninstalling Internet Explorer
    7.0?

    Are you talking it asking for the dialup username and password, or for
    websites?

    Have you tried clicking the 'Restore Defaults' under the Advanced tab of
    Internet Explorer?

    Jason
    Jason, Apr 12, 2007