    closing google maps).

    Suggestions of what's going on and how to remedy?

    bob
    bob, Oct 29, 2007

  2. bob

    Guest

    On Oct 29, 6:32 am, "bob" <> wrote:
    > I use Vista and have 2 computers online sharing a wireless router, via cable
    > modem (Comcast).
    >
    > It works fine except when I go to google maps, after a minute or two, I lose
    > the connection and must reboot to get the connection back. (it no longer
    > sees that connection -or any other, i.e. neighbors signals even after
    > closing google maps).
    >
    > Suggestions of what's going on and how to remedy?
    >
    > bob

    don't know,but have almost the same problem. Also with google earth or
    acessing google maps I lose my internet connection. When I close
    google maps ore earth after a few moments my connection is back ????
    For the rest my system is working fine...I keep searching and let's
    keep each other update

    Jim
    , Nov 6, 2007

  3. bob

    Guest

    Yeah, I get that exact same problem. extremely, Extremely frustrating.

    Ben
    , Nov 17, 2007
  4. bob

    Guest

    I have the same problem with a Linksys Wireless Gateway to a GTC Cable
    connection. I agree very frustrating!!

    Steve
    , Dec 16, 2007
  5. bob

    Algerino Guest

    same thing here with Belkin router.
    I've tried bypassing the router and it worked just fine.
    I called Router Tech support they said you need to get PORT number and
    Protocol used by Google Maps.
    I don't know how to get those info though!!
    Algerino, Jan 6, 2008
  6. bob

    Paul Guest

    Algerino wrote:
    > same thing here with Belkin router.
    > I've tried bypassing the router and it worked just fine.
    > I called Router Tech support they said you need to get PORT number and
    > Protocol used by Google Maps.
    > I don't know how to get those info though!!

    Use a copy of Wireshark. Wireshark allows the packets on a PC Ethernet
    port, to be recorded in real time. (Wireshark was formerly known as
    Ethereal packet sniffer.)

    http://www.wireshark.org/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark

    The outgoing ports being used during a Google Earth session, are
    80 and 443. 443 is used for HTTPS (secure HTTP). 80 is the normal
    port for HTTP traffic.

    My trace had hundreds of packets in it, so I'm not going to
    characterize the incoming port numbers.

    If the Belkin router has a log screen in the web interface, see if
    some security feature has been tripped. My router has "SYN FLOOD"
    protection, and if I aim a "stealth check" web site at the router,
    it doesn't give an honest assessment, because the router throws
    away the majority of the packets. Maybe something similar is
    happening with Google Earth, but I cannot imagine what that would
    be. The application developers at Google are well aware of firewalls
    and port numbers, and would not be using something non-standard
    just for the hell of it. Outgoing ports 80 and 443, might be used
    for a session with your favorite Internet retailer or your bank.

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 6, 2008
  7. bob

    Guest

    On Jan 6, 4:35 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > Algerino wrote:
    > > same thing here with Belkin router.
    > > I've tried bypassing the router and it worked just fine.
    > > I called Router Tech support they said you need to get PORT number and
    > > Protocol used by Google Maps.
    > > I don't know how to get those info though!!

    > Use a copy of Wireshark. Wireshark allows the packets on a PC Ethernet
    > port, to be recorded in real time. (Wireshark was formerly known as
    > Ethereal packet sniffer.)
    >
    > http://www.wireshark.org/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark
    >
    > The outgoing ports being used during a Google Earth session, are
    > 80 and 443. 443 is used for HTTPS (secure HTTP). 80 is the normal
    > port for HTTP traffic.
    >
    > My trace had hundreds of packets in it, so I'm not going to
    > characterize the incoming port numbers.
    >
    > If the Belkin router has a log screen in the web interface, see if
    > some security feature has been tripped. My router has "SYN FLOOD"
    > protection, and if I aim a "stealth check" web site at the router,
    > it doesn't give an honest assessment, because the router throws
    > away the majority of the packets. Maybe something similar is
    > happening with Google Earth, but I cannot imagine what that would
    > be. The application developers at Google are well aware of firewalls
    > and port numbers, and would not be using something non-standard
    > just for the hell of it. Outgoing ports 80 and 443, might be used
    > for a session with your favorite Internet retailer or your bank.
    >
    > Paul

    Opening port 80 solved the Google Maps disconnect problem for me. Is
    it safe to leave port 80 open all the time or should I only open it
    when I use Google Maps?
    , Feb 29, 2008
  8. bob

    Guest

    On Jan 6, 4:35 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > Algerino wrote:
    > > same thing here with Belkin router.
    > > I've tried bypassing the router and it worked just fine.
    > > I called Router Tech support they said you need to get PORT number and
    > > Protocol used by Google Maps.
    > > I don't know how to get those info though!!

    > Use a copy of Wireshark. Wireshark allows the packets on a PC Ethernet
    > port, to be recorded in real time. (Wireshark was formerly known as
    > Ethereal packet sniffer.)
    >
    > http://www.wireshark.org/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark
    >
    > The outgoing ports being used during a Google Earth session, are
    > 80 and 443. 443 is used for HTTPS (secure HTTP). 80 is the normal
    > port for HTTP traffic.
    >
    > My trace had hundreds of packets in it, so I'm not going to
    > characterize the incoming port numbers.
    >
    > If the Belkin router has a log screen in the web interface, see if
    > some security feature has been tripped. My router has "SYN FLOOD"
    > protection, and if I aim a "stealth check" web site at the router,
    > it doesn't give an honest assessment, because the router throws
    > away the majority of the packets. Maybe something similar is
    > happening with Google Earth, but I cannot imagine what that would
    > be. The application developers at Google are well aware of firewalls
    > and port numbers, and would not be using something non-standard
    > just for the hell of it. Outgoing ports 80 and 443, might be used
    > for a session with your favorite Internet retailer or your bank.
    >
    > Paul

    Opening port 80 solved the Google Maps disconnect problem for me. Is
    it safe to leave port 80 open all the time or should I only open it
    when I use Google Maps?
    , Feb 29, 2008
  9. bob

    Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jan 6, 4:35 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >> Algerino wrote:
    >>> same thing here with Belkin router.
    >>> I've tried bypassing the router and it worked just fine.
    >>> I called Router Tech support they said you need to get PORT number and
    >>> Protocol used by Google Maps.
    >>> I don't know how to get those info though!!

    >> Use a copy of Wireshark. Wireshark allows the packets on a PC Ethernet
    >> port, to be recorded in real time. (Wireshark was formerly known as
    >> Ethereal packet sniffer.)
    >>
    >> http://www.wireshark.org/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark
    >>
    >> The outgoing ports being used during a Google Earth session, are
    >> 80 and 443. 443 is used for HTTPS (secure HTTP). 80 is the normal
    >> port for HTTP traffic.
    >>
    >> My trace had hundreds of packets in it, so I'm not going to
    >> characterize the incoming port numbers.
    >>
    >> If the Belkin router has a log screen in the web interface, see if
    >> some security feature has been tripped. My router has "SYN FLOOD"
    >> protection, and if I aim a "stealth check" web site at the router,
    >> it doesn't give an honest assessment, because the router throws
    >> away the majority of the packets. Maybe something similar is
    >> happening with Google Earth, but I cannot imagine what that would
    >> be. The application developers at Google are well aware of firewalls
    >> and port numbers, and would not be using something non-standard
    >> just for the hell of it. Outgoing ports 80 and 443, might be used
    >> for a session with your favorite Internet retailer or your bank.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Opening port 80 solved the Google Maps disconnect problem for me. Is
    > it safe to leave port 80 open all the time or should I only open it
    > when I use Google Maps?

    Outgoing 80 is used by browsers, to reach web servers.

    Incoming 80, would be opened if you wanted to run a web
    server in your home. That would be less secure, in the
    sense that hackers could "tip over" your home web server.

    If you're not going to use outgoing 80, the computer
    won't be quite as useful to you, because then you
    couldn't web surf with IE or Firefox or whatever.

    I would guess Google used the ports they selected,
    as they'd be used for other things anyway. So you
    shouldn't really need to do anything, to get
    Google Earth to work.

    Some well known port numbers are listed here.

    On my networking setup, outgoing 80 is not filtered
    in any way (so my web browser works), and all incoming
    well known ports are closed (as I'm not running any
    home servers to the Internet). Ident (113) is port
    forwarded to a non-existent private LAN address. If
    you port scan me, I like to pretend I have a "stealth"
    status from the outside. It is hard to check that it
    actually works, because my router has "SYN flood"
    protection, and the scanner website I used, causes
    the SYN flood protection to get tripped, negating
    the test results. So I think I'm stealthy, but I
    cannot be sure. When I'm port scanned at a high
    rate, the router throws away the packets and the
    computer never sees them.

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 29, 2008