    Any suggestions???
    Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
    'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

    J.K.J.M, Apr 14, 2004

  2. J.K.J.M

    trout Guest

    J.K.J.M wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for
    > about 10 mins at a time, then it disconnects me.
    >
    > Any suggestions???
    > Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
    > 'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

    Maybe your mail program? Tools; Options; Connections; 'Hang up after
    sending and receiving'?
    --
    "Just a guess."
    trout, Apr 14, 2004

  3. J.K.J.M wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for about 10
    > mins at a time, then it disconnects me.
    >
    > Any suggestions???
    > Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
    > 'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

    Firstly, I have the square root of not much experience of infection by
    trojans, viruses, et al - so please be kind if I am writing a load of
    horseradish. But, I did see WatchDog on TV and it did say a large
    number of computers had had their dial up hijacked without the users
    noticing and it was dialing premium rate numbers instead. One thing
    that was mentioned was that users did find that their connection was
    being dropped every few minutes.

    So I am daring to write about something I know little about to suggest
    that possibility. Better to waste your time than leave you potentially
    wasting your money, if you happen to be connected to a premium rate
    line at the moment.

    The "expert" on TV said pull the phone plug immediately, if you even
    suspect that this may be a problem and then look through your dial up
    network settings and see if there is one that you don't recognise.

    Hope it isn't this but thought that I would stick my neck above the
    parapet and suggest it as a possibility!
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004
  4. J.K.J.M

    Roy Veevers Guest

    "Palindrâ~»me" <> wrote in message
    > J.K.J.M wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for about

    10
    > > mins at a time, then it disconnects me.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions???
    > > Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
    > > 'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

    > Firstly, I have the square root of not much experience of infection by
    > trojans, viruses, et al - so please be kind if I am writing a load of
    > horseradish. But, I did see WatchDog on TV and it did say a large
    > number of computers had had their dial up hijacked without the users
    > noticing and it was dialing premium rate numbers instead. One thing
    > that was mentioned was that users did find that their connection was
    > being dropped every few minutes.
    >
    > So I am daring to write about something I know little about to suggest
    > that possibility. Better to waste your time than leave you potentially
    > wasting your money, if you happen to be connected to a premium rate
    > line at the moment.
    >
    > The "expert" on TV said pull the phone plug immediately, if you even
    > suspect that this may be a problem and then look through your dial up
    > network settings and see if there is one that you don't recognise.
    >
    > Hope it isn't this but thought that I would stick my neck above the
    > parapet and suggest it as a possibility!

    Saw that Tosh myself! That so-called expert was a bit of a plonker to say
    the least.

    How these people run up these bills to be honest, beggars belief. All you
    need to do IS check what IPS number you are in fact dialling. No great
    problem.
    --
    RV
    Roy Veevers, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Roy Veevers wrote:
    > "Palindrâ~»me" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>J.K.J.M wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for about

    > 10
    >
    >>>mins at a time, then it disconnects me.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions???
    >>>Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
    >>>'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

    >>Firstly, I have the square root of not much experience of infection by
    >>trojans, viruses, et al - so please be kind if I am writing a load of
    >>horseradish. But, I did see WatchDog on TV and it did say a large
    >>number of computers had had their dial up hijacked without the users
    >>noticing and it was dialing premium rate numbers instead. One thing
    >>that was mentioned was that users did find that their connection was
    >>being dropped every few minutes.
    >>
    >>So I am daring to write about something I know little about to suggest
    >>that possibility. Better to waste your time than leave you potentially
    >>wasting your money, if you happen to be connected to a premium rate
    >>line at the moment.
    >>
    >>The "expert" on TV said pull the phone plug immediately, if you even
    >>suspect that this may be a problem and then look through your dial up
    >>network settings and see if there is one that you don't recognise.
    >>
    >>Hope it isn't this but thought that I would stick my neck above the
    >>parapet and suggest it as a possibility!

    > Saw that Tosh myself! That so-called expert was a bit of a plonker to say
    > the least.
    >
    > How these people run up these bills to be honest, beggars belief. All you
    > need to do IS check what IPS number you are in fact dialling. No great
    > problem.

    Do you think that this could be a possibility in this case?
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004
  6. J.K.J.M

    Trent SC Guest

    about
    > > 10
    > >>
    > >>Firstly, I have the square root of not much experience of infection by
    > >>trojans, viruses, et al - so please be kind if I am writing a load of
    > >>horseradish. But, I did see WatchDog on TV and it did say a large
    > >>number of computers had had their dial up hijacked without the users
    > >>noticing and it was dialing premium rate numbers instead. One thing
    > >>that was mentioned was that users did find that their connection was
    > >>being dropped every few minutes.
    > >>
    > >>So I am daring to write about something I know little about to suggest
    > >>that possibility. Better to waste your time than leave you potentially
    > >>wasting your money, if you happen to be connected to a premium rate
    > >>line at the moment.
    > >>
    > >>The "expert" on TV said pull the phone plug immediately, if you even
    > >>suspect that this may be a problem and then look through your dial up
    > >>network settings and see if there is one that you don't recognise.
    > >>
    > >>Hope it isn't this but thought that I would stick my neck above the
    > >>parapet and suggest it as a possibility!

    > > Saw that Tosh myself! That so-called expert was a bit of a plonker to

    say
    > > the least.
    > > How these people run up these bills to be honest, beggars belief. All

    you
    > > need to do IS check what IPS number you are in fact dialling. No great
    > > problem.

    > Do you think that this could be a possibility in this case?

    Very unlikely, I would imagine. The OP's problem was that the computer
    keeps disconnecting. A malware dialler would do exactly the opposite.
    Trent SC, Apr 14, 2004
  7. J.K.J.M

    Millimeter Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:46:31 +1000, "J.K.J.M"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for about 10
    >mins at a time, then it disconnects me.
    >
    >Any suggestions???
    >Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
    >'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

    I know nothing about your Aussie phone system, but do you have call
    waiting on your line?

    http://www.global.net.uk/home/support/docs/glo034.shtm

    has a reasonable checklist of things that may cause disconnects.
    hth,
    Millimeter
    Millimeter, Apr 14, 2004