Internet disconnection annoying

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by redfiat, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. redfiat

    redfiat Guest

    could be a 1001 different things.
    Is this dial up, or adsl?
    Have you had Telecom do a line test on the line? That would
    be my first step. ring 125 faults and ask for a line test.

    Joy, Jul 23, 2003

  3. redfiat

    Jay Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > On one pc out of three, the internet (clear) disconnects frequently.
    > Basically, all three have the same programs loaded except the one with the
    > problem has 'games.' They all share the same account (not networked),
    > they are in different locations and run win98.
    > I've tried just everything I can think of to find out what the problem is
    > and the game player is at me every day to fix it.
    > The youngster who hates his games being interrupted has shared the
    > intelligence that another gamester from school has the same problem and
    > the only common fact is that they use clear net (they dont' play the same
    > games).
    >
    > Would some kind person suggest a fix?
    > Joy

    You are on dialup, right?
    Get ADSL instead. It tends to be much more stable.

    Jay, Jul 23, 2003
  4. redfiat

    Bill Guest Guest

    I was advised to switch from a software modem (that requires the computer's
    RAM and CPU resources to operate) to an external hardware modem (that has
    its own chip and memory buffer). That solved the problem instantly, and
    disconnects dropped from 3 per evening to about 1 per 4 months.

    Hardware modems cost more, but are better for your temper!

    I was using Windows 98 2nd ed at that time. Have subsequently upgraded to XP
    Professional, which I find to be rock solid stable once the hassle of
    installation is defeated.

    Bill Guest, Jul 23, 2003
  5. On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:24:40 +1200, Joy wrote:

    > I've tried just everything I can think of to find out what the problem is
    > and the game player is at me every day to fix it.

    Try unplugging all the phones on the modem line.

    _ALL_ of them.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 23, 2003
  6. redfiat

    path Guest

    Bill Guest wrote:

    > I was advised to switch from a software modem (that requires the computer's
    > RAM and CPU resources to operate) to an external hardware modem (that has
    > its own chip and memory buffer). That solved the problem instantly, and
    > disconnects dropped from 3 per evening to about 1 per 4 months.

    There's nothing wrong with software modems as such. The main reason why such a
    bad stigma has been attached to them was because they first came out when
    computers were too slow to handle modem processing in software, and the quality
    of their software drivers was very poor. A good quality software modem with
    decent drivers should be indiscernable in performance compared with a hardware
    modem.

    For anyone using a software modem and thinking they're no good, update to the
    latest drivers and you may find your problems go away.

    For the person with the computer disconnecting, it may be because of the
    following:
    * the computer's modem is faulty
    * the computer's modem has got a much poorer tolerance of line noise than the
    other two. You could swap them around
    * it needs newer drivers
    * the phone line has got too many things connected to it and isn't supplying
    enough electricity to maintain a stable connection
    * the part of the phone line that that computer is connected to is damaged in
    some way. This can happen, sometimes the wires are touching eachother

    path, Jul 23, 2003
  7. redfiat

    Joy Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On one pc out of three, the internet (clear) disconnects frequently.
    > Basically, all three have the same programs loaded except the one with the

    snip
    Thanks for all your replys, I'm working through them.
    Joy

    Joy, Jul 25, 2003
  8. redfiat

    Lennier Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:47:29 +1200, path wrote:

    > A good quality
    > software modem with decent drivers should be indiscernable in
    > performance compared with a hardware modem.

    Yes - "...should be..."

    Lennier

    --
    I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
    of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital

    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003
  9. redfiat

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    >>A good quality
    >>software modem with decent drivers should be indiscernable in
    >>performance compared with a hardware modem.

    > Yes - "...should be..."

    *is* in my machine...

    T.N.O., Nov 21, 2003