    the dialler function. correctly.

    What is the problem and how is it rectified .

    hanks de miken
    Mike Newman, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Mike Newman

    XPD Guest

    "Mike Newman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Running W2k here.
    >
    > Network and Dialup Connections does not correctly store my
    > password.for connecting to my ISP.
    >
    > The password appears as a row of xxxxxx...... , which is twice as
    > long as the correct password string, and no connection results.
    >
    > I have to delete the extended string and re enter the password to get
    > the dialler function. correctly.
    >
    > What is the problem and how is it rectified .
    >
    > hanks de miken

    1) I know WinXP makes your password look longer, but your password is
    correct, but cant remember if 2k does the same....
    2) What error do you get if you dont re-enter the password ? 691 ?
    XPD, Feb 28, 2006

  3. Mike Newman

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mike Newman <> wrote in

    > What is the problem and how is it rectified .

    Don't worry about the length of stars, that is to confuse you.

    Make a new connection with a different name, like "ISP connection 2", and
    than setup all the user and password again. This makes new correct
    registry keys and should fix it. Remove old connection when this one
    works.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Feb 28, 2006
  4. Just making a new connection does not necessarily solve your
    problem. Try the following.

    1] Follow Dave Taylor's suggestion of making a new connection.

    2] When you first attempt to log on you are presented with a new
    logon connection dialog.

    3] Click the Properties button at the foot of the dialog

    4] Select the Options tab

    5] In the Dialing Options panel, UNCHECK all boxes except the
    Display progress box. The OK

    6] When returned to the new connection dialog, enter your password
    and make sure the Save the user name and password button is checked:
    make you selection of one of the two access options -- Me only or
    Anyone.

    7] Dial

    8] Your preferences should now be recorded in the Registry
    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Feb 28, 2006
  5. Mike Newman

    Mike Newman Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:14:24 +1300, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > Just making a new connection does not necessarily solve your
    >problem. Try the following.........

    Thanks all for replying

    I was getting error 691 messages, but after some tinkering that no
    longer happens, and the dialer is working ok, even with the extra long
    password string

    I did make a new connection a while back to try to reset the password
    string, but it didn't work at that time, I'll try that again, in line
    with the steps you have outlined.

    Cheers MikeN
    Mike Newman, Feb 28, 2006
  6. Mike Newman

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:20:38 +1300, Mike Newman wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:14:24 +1300, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >
    >> Just making a new connection does not necessarily solve your
    >>problem. Try the following.........

    > Thanks all for replying
    >
    > I was getting error 691 messages, but after some tinkering that no
    > longer happens, and the dialer is working ok, even with the extra long
    > password string
    >
    > I did make a new connection a while back to try to reset the password
    > string, but it didn't work at that time, I'll try that again, in line
    > with the steps you have outlined.
    >
    > Cheers MikeN

    Remember, the OS deliberatly pads out your password so that people cannot
    guess your password by counting how many letters are in it. It's a security
    feature. It knows what it really is.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #409 +(4383)- [X]

    <DaZE> at my school.. the cop from DARE passed around 3 joints to show
    everyone... and he said "if i dont get all three of these back this schools
    getting locked down and everyones getting searched till i find it.." and
    like 30 minutes later when everyone got to see 'em and they got passed back
    the cop had 4

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/03/2006 10:42:47 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Mar 1, 2006