    phone calls? She doesn't want to sign up to a long term contract if
    possible.

    Thanks, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Oct 10, 2003

  2. Rob Nicholson

    Fishb8 Guest

    Just sign up with a regular isp - I don't think any of them have long-term
    binding contracts.
    Roy Price
    "Rob Nicholson" <rob.nicholson@NOSPAM_informed-direct.com> wrote in message
    > A friend is visiting NZ for four months and taking her laptop with her.
    > She'll be staying with friends and I wondered if there was any similar
    > services as in the UK when you can sign up with an ISP and just pay for

    the

    Fishb8, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Rob Nicholson

    BTMO Guest

    "Rob Nicholson" <> wrote

    > A friend is visiting NZ for four months and taking her laptop with her.
    > She'll be staying with friends and I wondered if there was any similar
    > services as in the UK when you can sign up with an ISP and just pay for

    the
    > phone calls? She doesn't want to sign up to a long term contract if
    > possible.

    At least some of the ISPs offer pre-pay plans. Has your friend considered
    this?

    From memory (and I could easily be wrong) they typically sell contracts to
    the owner of the phoneline only (and these can be as little as $5 / month,
    though they almost all have connection / set up fees), but will sell a
    prepay to nearly anyone.

    Check out the websites of a couple of ISPs - you should find what you need.

    Cheers,

    Brenton

    BTMO, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Rob Nicholson

    Robert Guest

    Check out the listing of ISP's on
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/ispsearch.asp?Category=Internet providers

    Robert, Oct 10, 2003
  5. Rob Nicholson wrote:

    > I wondered if there was any similar
    > services as in the UK when you can sign up with an ISP and just pay for the
    > phone calls?

    NZ'ers don't pay for local phone calls, unlike in the UK.

    And for most NZ'ers, their ISP's dial-up number is a free call.
    There's no money from the phone calls alone to pay the ISP costs.

    This is different to the UK, where ISP's can cover their costs from
    a percentage of the amount you pay for the phone call.

    > She doesn't want to sign up to a long term contract if
    > possible.

    She won't have to sign up with an ISP for 6 months or a year in NZ.

    Drake Stefferson, Oct 11, 2003
  6. Rob Nicholson

    Murray Guest

    Have your friend check with her existing ISP. In my experience, ISP's offer
    a 'Roaming Option' that allows access via a free call number in other
    countries.

    Murray, Oct 11, 2003
  7. Rob Nicholson

    pbs Guest

    Rob Nicholson wrote:
    > A friend is visiting NZ for four months and taking her laptop with her.
    > She'll be staying with friends and I wondered if there was any similar
    > services as in the UK when you can sign up with an ISP and just pay for the
    > phone calls? She doesn't want to sign up to a long term contract if
    > possible.
    >
    > Thanks, Rob.

    http://herbison.com/iap_meta_list/iap_meta_list_nz.html
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/ispsearch.asp?Category=Internet providers
    http://www.newzealandsites.com/business/computers/internet/internet-service-providers/
    http://usenet.net.nz/noc/

    I use VISP's www.e3.net.nz (17.95$ by credit-card monthly, one months notice,
    no sign up fee, unlimited access, no 2 hour cut-off/re-login as is
    typical in the UK. They also have a Variable plan 99c an hour.

    There is also a free internet provider in NZ -- but read the small print
    http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_internetnz.htm

    pbs, Oct 12, 2003