    CEO David DeWalt, said that cyber-crime has become a US$105 billion
    business that now surpasses the value of the illegal drug trade
    worldwide.

    whoisthis, Sep 22, 2007

  2. whoisthis

    Murray Symon Guest

    whoisthis wrote:

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10441704
    > NZ home to hackers
    > 6:00AM Friday May 25, 2007
    > New Zealand has more computer hackers per head of population than
    > anywhere else apart from Britain, a new report on "cybervandalism"
    > across 10 countries has found.
    > New Zealand rated one hack for every 638 users, network security group
    > TippingPoint said.

    [remainder snipped]

    I must have missed the "Are you a computer hacker" question on the latest
    census form. ;-)
    It doesn't help that there are conflicting definitions for"computer hacker".
    The story doesn't state how many "users" or "hackers" they counted in NZ.
    This is just another case of the press sensationalising junk statistics
    without researching the underlying reality.

    It's a bit like the story that concluded that most of the Internet
    terrorists live in New Plymouth based on faulty assumptions from
    correlating ISP registration data and DNS geo-location data.

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Sep 23, 2007

  3. whoisthis

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-22, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10441704
    > NZ home to hackers
    > 6:00AM Friday May 25, 2007
    > New Zealand has more computer hackers per head of population than
    > anywhere else apart from Britain,

    May we first of all define hacker, before we continue to continue this
    thread. Thought so. Bugger

    Gordon, Sep 23, 2007