Internet connects for a few seconds then disconnects for a few sec

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Cody, Jun 28, 2009.

  1. Cody

    Cody Guest

    Hello, I'm using a Windows Vista wireless connection and as stated in the
    title, my connection goes out for a few seconds then reconnects for a few
    seconds (etc.). My modem is updated and everything is wired properly. I know
    this because my interenet has worked perfectly for the past 6 months until
    recently it started to do this thing, and it is proving to be very
    frustrating(my interenet has already gone out and come back in 2 times as I'm
    writing this). I have already unchecked the "allow the computer to turn off
    this device to save power" button and my computer still is experiencing
    problems. Will somebody please tell me how to fix this because the diagnosis
    does not work because whenever you hit "diagnose" the internet comes back on
    and it says everythings fine :(.

    When the computer reconnects it first goes to Signal Strength: Unstable -
    then - Signal Strength: Excellent
    The other wirless computers in my house work perfectly

    And for some reason the connection becomes very stable, and works around
    midnightish 0.o

    And don't know if this is anything but I'm trying to give as much detail as
    possible, under general system properties it says:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3
    Cody, Jun 28, 2009

  2. Cody

    Dave Guest

    i would try a different wireless router/access point, move the one you have
    closer, or look for nearby interference. sounds like something is wrong on
    the wireless part of the system to me.

    Dave, Jun 28, 2009

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q29keQ==?= <> wrote in

    > Hello, I'm using a Windows Vista wireless connection and as stated
    > in the title, my connection goes out for a few seconds then
    > reconnects for a few seconds (etc.). My modem is updated and
    > everything is wired properly. I know this because my interenet has
    > worked perfectly for the past 6 months until recently it started
    > to do this thing, and it is proving to be very frustrating(my
    > interenet has already gone out and come back in 2 times as I'm
    > writing this). I have already unchecked the "allow the computer to
    > turn off this device to save power" button and my computer still
    > is experiencing problems. Will somebody please tell me how to fix
    > this because the diagnosis does not work because whenever you hit
    > "diagnose" the internet comes back on and it says everythings fine
    > :(.
    >
    > When the computer reconnects it first goes to Signal Strength:
    > Unstable - then - Signal Strength: Excellent
    > The other wirless computers in my house work perfectly
    >
    > And for some reason the connection becomes very stable, and works
    > around midnightish 0.o

    It sounds like interference to me. You say you don't have a problem
    with your other wireless devices, so it sounds like something
    localized near this computer. If you are using Wireless-B or G, you
    might try changing the channel used by your router/access point. The
    best channels for G are 1, 6, and 11. Perhaps a neighbor on the side
    of your house by this machine is using the same channel for his
    internet and gives up around midnightish? Also, 2-GHz wireless
    phones use the same radio band so keep these devices at a distance.
    If you have a desktop, check the antenna connection. Laptops often
    have their antenna in the lid, so try repositioning the lid a bit.

    Good Luck,
    John
    John Wunderlich, Jun 28, 2009