    another and another (within my website), does that make 3 TCP IN connections
    I should have or more connections are established for other purposes?

    Thanks

    Molecule, Nov 15, 2009

  2. Molecule wrote:

    > I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro)

    Busty metallic woman with arms outstretched... not much else there - at
    least there is no menu visible.

    How experienced are you at securing web servers?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 15, 2009

  3. Molecule

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:07:40 -0000, Molecule wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro), my comodo firewall shows

    I seem to know that already :)

    >about 7 new connections every time I click on a link on my website and after

    You don't describe what the connections are to/from/app.

    >about 200 inbound connections the site shows errors and does not load pages

    This seems to be another case of describing at least a few of the
    connections.

    Ditto errors, the site or the server ot the browser displays some
    unknown error.

    >anymore (even with HTTP keep-alives disabled).

    HTTP keep alives are a server optimisation, unlikely you need these as a
    single user.

    >I have changed some settings in iis and aslo disabled the firewall, now it

    No info on the settings that were changed.

    >works ok but I would like to know how connections are established with the

    Put the FW back on.

    >server when there is a request. Say I request my home page, then go to

    That's a big question and I am sure my answer is still in the Google
    archive about sockets and connections.

    The HTTP RFC is mentioned below, see this section
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec8.html#sec8
    8 Connections

    ----------------
    From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: Testing Open Ports
    Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:49:24 GMT

    Reading lots :)

    Port States
    http://userpages.umbc.edu/~jeehye/cmsc491b/lectures/tcpstate/sld001.htm
    If you really want the low down, writing, how it works and nitty gritty
    of the whole setup,

    The set of 3,
    http://www.amazon.com/TCP-IP-Illustrated-1-Protocols/dp/0201633469

    and the UNIX set
    http://www.amazon.com/Unix-Network-Programming-Sockets-Networking/dp/...

    The RFCs of course
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc793.html
    Establishing a connection
    Closing a Connection

    There is plenty of code about for TCP/IP server/client apps, you could
    alter one to listen on lots of ports. As well as client / server apps.

    ----------------
    From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: Connecting to the internet
    Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 19:30:41 GMT

    On 8 Jul 2009 20:51:56 -0700, Jack Bean wrote:

    >Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the internet
    >with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what exactly causes your
    >signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access servers?

    Wow what a big question.....

    Getting that out of the way you go high level to client/server services.
    http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_TCPIPServicesandClientServerOperation.htm
    Then TCP/IP itself sends out a request, waits for an answer, establishes
    a connection, transfers data.

    TCP/IP and HTTP sequence diagrams,
    http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/Networking/

    the *classic Stevens* diagram from the book.
    http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/perfnet/cs456/tcp-state-diag.pdf

    His text books, this is the really low leval guts of TCP,IP,HTTP,Telnet
    and so on. The 3 - TCP/IP Illustrated volumes.

    http://www.kohala.com/start/
    You will notice the other titles, tey cover just about everything else
    that's now relied on mail,dns, ipc, ftp, sockets, signals.

    HTTP
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html
    this is where you get the 404 Page not found from (and status OK code
    200 you don't see but you get the page loading). It's 1 of the various
    messages about the HTTP conversation.

    http://devmentor.org/articles/network/Socket Programming.pdf
    Client / Server Programming with TCP/IP Sockets
    That's a good article, pictures :)

    It's the Stevens books mentioned earlier.

    Here is a class project to write a client/server
    http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cs586/f02/project1/project1.htm

    http://gsk.sourceforge.net/gsk-reference/tutorial-httpclient.html
    Tutorial: Writing a HTTP client — How to write a web client
    -------------------------------

    >another and another (within my website), does that make 3 TCP IN connections

    >I should have or more connections are established for other purposes?

    You count all items that make a page (images,media), any subdirectories
    i.e. different URLs,

    >Thanks

    Me

    why?, Nov 15, 2009
  4. Molecule

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:07:40 -0000, Molecule wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro), my comodo firewall shows
    > about 7 new connections every time I click on a link on my website and after
    > about 200 inbound connections the site shows errors and does not load pages
    > anymore (even with HTTP keep-alives disabled).
    > I have changed some settings in iis and aslo disabled the firewall, now it
    > works ok but I would like to know how connections are established with the
    > server when there is a request. Say I request my home page, then go to
    > another and another (within my website), does that make 3 TCP IN connections
    > I should have or more connections are established for other purposes?
    >
    > Thanks

    Is your site overloaded with google ads cookies javascript and other
    garbage?
    I have one of my minimal pages online now. Comodo shows 0 inbound/7
    outbound.

    When I establish igoogle.com, outbound connections increase to 20
    something.

    You do know you can click on the number shown and comodo will display what
    is connecting rigt?

    richard, Nov 15, 2009
  5. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    It is just a personal home page, not a business one. There is a lot more
    there,not just the lady, you just have to know what to do.
    I am not experienced at securing server, it is the first time I put one up
    to learn, now that is is all running I am looking at all the aspect of
    running a site and most important secure it.

    Molecule, Nov 15, 2009
  6. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    > Is your site overloaded with google ads cookies javascript and other
    > garbage?
    > I have one of my minimal pages online now. Comodo shows 0 inbound/7
    > outbound.
    >
    > When I establish igoogle.com, outbound connections increase to 20
    > something.
    >
    > You do know you can click on the number shown and comodo will display what
    > is connecting rigt?

    Some script, yes but not much, kept it very simple.
    Ah, see you you mean....With google I get the same number of
    connections.......

    Molecule, Nov 15, 2009
  7. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    Thanks Why, I have put the firewall back on, I had left windows FW on.

    The connections I get:
    TCP IN 82.44.xxx.xx:4284
    TCP IN 82.44.xxx.xx:4297 and so on to around 200 before I get missing
    pictures (box with the red X instead), missing pages or too many connections
    page (get the errors on my other computer).

    that is just my ip address I guess, the destination is always correct: my
    server. I have never seen other addresses so far. The hard drive is new and
    I secured xp the best as I could.

    I just played with connection timeout and Keep-alives, I have it now from
    900sec to 300 and HTTP Keep-alives enabled.

    I am not sure why but when stopping comodo it runs a lot better.

    Will read the articles below

    thanks

    Molecule, Nov 15, 2009
  8. Molecule wrote:

    > The connections I get:
    > TCP IN 82.44.xxx.xx:4284
    > TCP IN 82.44.xxx.xx:4297 ...
    >
    > that is just my ip address I guess,

    There is no need to mung your IP address; it is plainly visible in the
    headers of all your posts. That's how I found the picture of the busty
    metallic woman.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 15, 2009
  9. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    Duh......ok..I am using OE to post, did not realize that my address is
    everywhere.

    Molecule, Nov 15, 2009
  10. Molecule

    Mike Easter Guest

    Molecule wrote:
    > Duh......ok..I am using OE to post, did not realize that my address is
    > everywhere.

    Don't top post; your 'reply' lacks any context.

    That/Your IP in the headers is a 'feature' of the highwinds newsserver
    that virginmedia outsources to.

    Some newsservers stamp a NPH nntp-posting-host header with your IP and
    some don't. There are privacy disadvantages to such a stamp, but there
    are some small advantages in newsgroups which are populated by trolls
    who forge or spoof other participants.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 15, 2009
  11. Molecule

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:10:57 -0000, Molecule wrote:

    >Thanks Why, I have put the firewall back on, I had left windows FW on.
    >
    >The connections I get:

    Basic Windows netstat then? Have a look at the -a -b -v options. The
    combined -ab , 'b' is handy to show the executable.

    >TCP IN 82.44.xxx.xx:4284

    See your posting headers - the public IP address is in there.

    >TCP IN 82.44.xxx.xx:4297 and so on to around 200 before I get missing

    For the correct URL of your PC, I assume the PC is directly connected to
    the cable modem so this may not be the best method to address a local
    web server.

    You may want to try your browser using http://127.0.0.1/ instead so you
    are using the local loopback.

    >pictures (box with the red X instead), missing pages or too many connections

    So is the rest of the page okay?

    It at least looks like a page you edited?

    >page (get the errors on my other computer).

    Another option for XP is the,
    How to install the Microsoft Loopback adapter in Windows XP
    Describes how to install the Loopback adapter for testing in a virtual
    network environment where access to a network is not possible because of
    issues such ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839013

    This way you can assign a local IP address such as those from RFC1918
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1918.html
    172.16.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 in Network Connections as
    usual.

    You then go back to the IIS server properties and change the IP from Any
    Assigned (I think that's the wording) and pick 172.16.1.1

    This has the added benefit, if your ISPs public IP changes the IP of the
    local web server doesn't. Give it a try.

    >that is just my ip address I guess, the destination is always correct: my
    >server. I have never seen other addresses so far. The hard drive is new and
    >I secured xp the best as I could.
    >
    >I just played with connection timeout and Keep-alives, I have it now from
    >900sec to 300 and HTTP Keep-alives enabled.
    >
    >I am not sure why but when stopping comodo it runs a lot better.

    You would have to allow HTTP to/from the IP address.

    >Will read the articles below

    It's a lot of reading but sockets and TCP/IP conversations aren't
    simple.

    >thanks

    YW.

    >> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:07:40 -0000, Molecule wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro), my comodo firewall
    >>>shows

    >> I seem to know that already :)
    >>
    >>>about 7 new connections every time I click on a link on my website and
    >>>after

    >> You don't describe what the connections are to/from/app.
    >>
    >>>about 200 inbound connections the site shows errors and does not load
    >>>pages

    >> This seems to be another case of describing at least a few of the
    >> connections.
    >>
    >> Ditto errors, the site or the server ot the browser displays some
    >> unknown error.
    >>
    >>>anymore (even with HTTP keep-alives disabled).

    >> HTTP keep alives are a server optimisation, unlikely you need these as a
    >> single user.
    >>
    >>>I have changed some settings in iis and aslo disabled the firewall, now it

    >> No info on the settings that were changed.
    >>
    >>>works ok but I would like to know how connections are established with the

    >> Put the FW back on.
    >>
    >>>server when there is a request. Say I request my home page, then go to

    >> That's a big question and I am sure my answer is still in the Google
    >> archive about sockets and connections.
    >>
    >> The HTTP RFC is mentioned below, see this section
    >> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec8.html#sec8
    >> 8 Connections
    >>
    >> ----------------

    <big snip>

    Me

    why?, Nov 15, 2009
  12. Molecule

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:07:40 -0000, Molecule wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro), my comodo firewall shows

    Well there is a lot of work to do,

    frames to css
    frames
    ENTER
    Scroll frames
    Scroll bars, nothing to scroll
    Oh FW blocking Java Applets, likely to be well used or not :)
    Can't tell the difference in top images with/out links to click on.

    http://82.44.211.37/countries/newzealand/index.htm
    no scrolling so ZEALAND is only partly visible.

    Too many thumbs in the left frame of
    http://82.44.211.37/countries/japan/tokyo/index.htm

    'e' so what's the meaningful filename?
    http://82.44.211.37/countries/japan/tokyo/images/e.jpg

    >about 7 new connections every time I click on a link on my website and after

    Browsing around your site after a few minutes
    TCP xppro32:1877
    82-44-211-37.cable.ubr09.haye.blueyonder.co.uk:http ESTABLISHED
    TCP xppro32:1878
    82-44-211-37.cable.ubr09.haye.blueyonder.co.uk:http ESTABLISHED
    TCP xppro32:1890
    82-44-211-37.cable.ubr09.haye.blueyonder.co.uk:http ESTABLISHED
    TCP xppro32:1891
    82-44-211-37.cable.ubr09.haye.blueyonder.co.uk:http ESTABLISHED
    TCP xppro32:1892
    82-44-211-37.cable.ubr09.haye.blueyonder.co.uk:http ESTABLISHED
    TCP xppro32:1893
    82-44-211-37.cable.ubr09.haye.blueyonder.co.uk:http ESTABLISHED

    Only 6 connections

    Did I mention issues with FRAMES earlier, if not, then FRAMES.

    It's also worth learning about validation
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0
    or shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/ycdfqzn

    >about 200 inbound connections the site shows errors and does not load pages
    >anymore (even with HTTP keep-alives disabled).

    <snip>

    >Thanks

    Me

    why?, Nov 15, 2009
  13. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    Yes I know, bit of a mess there, was ok years back but I mangled it big
    time. Building a new one.
    Well, I have spent the whole evening reading about connections, so far now I
    get no errors and the FwW is on. Good.
    Thanks for checking out the connections.

    Molecule, Nov 16, 2009