Internet connections lost/ not receiving packets

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jhegan@gmail.com, May 22, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm hoping someone can help me with *several* issues I've had in the
    last day with our internet connections. Both are Dell laptops, both
    running windows xp.

    I was trying to install a lexmark print server on our network
    yesterday. Long story short, it used to work and I had to reformat, so
    I was reinstalling.

    I was able to install and get it to work after running the network
    wizard. My laptop is docked and has a wired (and wireless) connection
    through a linksys router. I was still able to access the internet
    through the wired connection. Then the other laptop started having
    connection issues. After a router/modem reset, the 2nd laptop was able
    to connect to the network, with only a 1mbps speed (it should be 54).
    It began getting error messages saying there was an IP conflict on the
    network.

    I figured it was the print server; so I uninstalled the printer and
    disconnected the server. Still had the connection problem. I tried a
    DHCP release/renew. Both laptops were able to connect to the network
    but no packets were received. I tried changing the WEP encryption to
    WPA, no change. I removed everything from the network bridge, no
    change. The only way I could connect was through the wired connection
    if the wireless was disabled. After looking online, I tried a winsock
    fix, removed all encryption and suddenly neither wireless nor wired
    connections worked.

    I renabled WEP, reset the modem, reset the router and restarted. The
    wireless connection was able to connect, but no packets received. I
    tried repairing the network bridges again, this time, the wireless
    connection gave me an error message that it could not renew the IP
    address. I tried another DHCP release/renew, reset and restart. Now
    nothing works. No wired connections/no wireless connections -
    everything says it's connected, everything is marked "obtain IP
    automatically" and I've removed everything from the network bridge and
    removed the network entirely. All I get is the windows DNS error
    message in explorer when I try to access the internet. I've tried to
    ping the IP addresses and all of the packets are lost.

    I don't know what else to try but start over from scratch... I'd like
    to be able to install the print server again, so I'd like to be able to
    network both computers.

    Help? I hope I've provided enough detail. I could really use
    assistance on this. Thanks.
    , May 22, 2006

  2. Hi

    It is not clear how an installation of a printer server led to this
    "Armageddon".

    However at the moment I think you should start from scratch.

    Put only one computer on the Router, and make sure that it is working with a
    Wire connection so that you have a solid access to the Router.

    Next put the second computer when the second computer works correctly try
    again the Printer server.

    As far as the printer server goes configure it with a static IP that is out
    (but the same subnet) as the DHCP server of the Router.

    As an example, if the DHCP is set to 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.10 put the
    printer server on 192.168.1.20

    When every thing is working well deal with the Wireless.

    To check the Network settings of an individual computer.

    Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
    Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there
    is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost

    Step Two. Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
    every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.

    Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
    or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet

    If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
    instructions for Windows Network
    Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 22, 2006