internet connection trouble

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by 4bz girl, Jul 7, 2006.

  1. 4bz girl

    4bz girl Guest

    i have a new computer hooked up in an office space. the old computer
    at that space worked fine with the wireless router and had internet
    function. with the new computer i cannot get the router to work.
    other computers in our location are working fine on their routers. any
    ideas?

    perhaps my trouble is with configuring internet connections as i have
    another internet connection related problem.

    i have another computer (that was also working fine with the
    internet---this one through a ethernet cable). this computer had a
    malfunction with the operating system---i repaired the operating system
    but in the mean time i lost my previously installed programs, the
    documents that had been on the computer were lost and the internet
    connection no longer works. 1---is it possible to recover the
    documents---i tried to do a recovery but could not. i also searched
    for * .doc files and found none of the older ones.
    2-- how can i re-configure the internet with this computer.

    it seems i have a hard time navigating the internet connection and
    control areas of the computer. we have dsl internet options here with
    about 20 computers on a peer to peer network. most access internet
    through the ethernet cables, a few are on wireless routers
    4bz girl, Jul 7, 2006

  2. 4bz girl

    Rick Merrill Guest

    4bz girl wrote:
    > i have a new computer hooked up in an office space. the old computer
    > at that space worked fine with the wireless router and had internet
    > function. with the new computer i cannot get the router to work.
    > other computers in our location are working fine on their routers.

    With multiple routers you must know the topology (are they all
    a 192.168.1.xxx ?) and make sure only 1 router supplies DHCP (does any
    computer complain of an IP conflict?) .
    Rick Merrill, Jul 7, 2006

  3. 4bz girl

    Dan Evans Guest

    "4bz girl" <> wrote in message
    >i have a new computer hooked up in an office space. the old computer
    > at that space worked fine with the wireless router and had internet
    > function. with the new computer i cannot get the router to work.
    > other computers in our location are working fine on their routers. any
    > ideas?

    The router doesn't work, or your connection to the router doesn't work?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 7, 2006
  4. 4bz girl

    4bz girl Guest

    my connection to the router doesnt work---or perhaps i am typing the
    wrong type things in my internet connection computer options

    4bz girl, Jul 7, 2006
  5. 4bz girl

    Dan Evans Guest

    "4bz girl" <> wrote in message
    > my connection to the router doesnt work---or perhaps i am typing the
    > wrong type things in my internet connection computer options

    Wireless card enabled and all drivers loaded?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 7, 2006
  6. 4bz girl wrote:

    > i have a new computer hooked up in an office space. the old computer
    > at that space worked fine with the wireless router and had internet
    > function. with the new computer i cannot get the router to work.
    > other computers in our location are working fine on their routers. any
    > ideas?

    Probably you have some sort of security setup on your router, like MAC
    address filtering, WEP or even WPA.
    You will need to access your routers configuration page and have a look, or
    invite a trustworthy knowledgeable person to do it for you.

    > perhaps my trouble is with configuring internet connections as i have
    > another internet connection related problem.
    >
    > i have another computer (that was also working fine with the
    > internet---this one through a ethernet cable). this computer had a
    > malfunction with the operating system---i repaired the operating system
    > but in the mean time i lost my previously installed programs, the
    > documents that had been on the computer were lost and the internet
    > connection no longer works. 1---is it possible to recover the
    > documents---i tried to do a recovery but could not. i also searched
    > for * .doc files and found none of the older ones.

    Did you or the installer reformat the partition? If no, you might still have
    the old profile (under "Documents and settings" folder) but cannot access
    it even as admin, without "taking ownership" first.

    > 2-- how can i re-configure the internet with this computer.

    "Crystal ball broken". Your setup probably includes a dhcp server that gives
    no ip addresses for "unknown" clients, or a address range that cannot
    connect to the internet through your core router/proxy.
    You will need a skilled network admin and/or lots of documentation regarding
    your setup.

    > it seems i have a hard time navigating the internet connection and
    > control areas of the computer. we have dsl internet options here with
    > about 20 computers on a peer to peer network. most access internet
    > through the ethernet cables, a few are on wireless routers

    You should hire a network admin, or at least a knowledgeable IT student who
    at least has some ccna or similar qualification.
    Walter Mautner, Jul 8, 2006