    who will look into the appualing quality of the line, and maybe make steps
    to improving it?
    Thanks in advance.

    Tom Witnall, Nov 1, 2009

  2. Tom Witnall

    Tom Witnall Guest

    There is only 1 system connected to the router, and we have determined it
    using BT speed checker, speedtest.net etc, BT now says that the max line
    speed is now 0.2mbps, and we are receiving 0.2mbps from speed testers.
    To the second question, I will need my partner to route around as the online
    services have been down for around 3 weeks, everytime we try to acces it, we
    recieve an error message.
    The customer services, have been unhelpful in the past, and I am not sure
    that our previous complaints has been logged, I just wanted to know if there
    was someone that maybe able to help on the BT wholesale side to determine
    the reason for this drop in line speed, and hopefully rectifying it, as at
    the moment, when we have spoken to them, they have said the only way we can
    alter our BB speed is to move(!).

    Any help you can provide will be graciously received.

    Tom Witnall, Nov 1, 2009

  3. Tom Witnall

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Evan Platt Post:
    > On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 21:15:45 -0000, "Tom Witnall"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> It is the second time in 3 months in which my max line speed has dropped. In
    >> my house it is now only possible to get 0.2mbps maximum speed, this is down
    >>from 1.5-2.0mbps average sped found at the point of sale when I was
    >> upgrading my bropadband package. In October we found that the line had
    >> degraded, and the new maximum line speed wa now 0.5, which was shocking as
    >> the whole point of upgrading became moot, and we decided to make a formal
    >> complaint then and there. Now today we find ourselves in a dire situation
    >> where we can only recieve dial-up speeds and the max line speed being
    >> 0.2mbps.

    > And how are you determing this speed? Have you disconnected every
    > computer but one, and connected that one computer directly to the
    > broadband router?
    >
    >> I have a few questions, is virgin allowed to reduce their BB speeds
    >> by this much and not inform their questions,

    > I'm assuming you mean customers... What does the contract you agreed
    > to with them state?
    >
    >> and secondly can we find anyone who will look into the appualing quality of the line, and maybe make steps
    >> to improving it?

    > Call their customer service? What did they say?

    I'm assuming he may work for the US Govt. with worrying about line
    speed after seeing his style of posting.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Nov 1, 2009
  4. Tom Witnall

    Tom Witnall Guest

    Thanks for this information, will harass them, as the level of service is
    unacceptable. Will take it to supervisors, their mediators, and then OFCOM
    if needed, because their customer service is atrocious, and we are not
    recieving the service we pay them for.

    Tom Witnall, Nov 1, 2009
  5. Tom Witnall

    chuckcar Guest

    "Tom Witnall" <> wrote in

    > It is the second time in 3 months in which my max line speed has
    > dropped. In my house it is now only possible to get 0.2mbps maximum
    > speed, this is down from 1.5-2.0mbps average sped found at the point of
    > sale when I was upgrading my bropadband package. In October we found
    > that the line had degraded, and the new maximum line speed wa now 0.5,
    > which was shocking as the whole point of upgrading became moot, and we
    > decided to make a formal complaint then and there. Now today we find
    > ourselves in a dire situation where we can only recieve dial-up speeds
    > and the max line speed being 0.2mbps. I have a few questions, is virgin
    > allowed to reduce their BB speeds by this much and not inform their
    > questions, and secondly can we find anyone who will look into the
    > appualing quality of the line, and maybe make steps to improving it?
    > Thanks in advance.

    1. Make sure all filters are working fine. This is best done by unpluginng
    all but one phone (with the filter between it and the jack) and resetting
    the modem. If the speed doesn't go up, you've found a bad filter.
    Alternatively if it drops if it's not the first you try.

    2. Remove all splitter and extenders from all phone lines. You want every
    phone cord to be less than 10'.
    3. Take all phones off the hook for 1/2 hour. The phone companies do this
    to remove static. It works. 4. Reset your modem. This clears it's
    remembered connect speed and allows it to test the line for what speed it
    *can* use.

    5. Phone your ISP and *demand* someone in tech support find and fix the
    problem. This is what they're paid to do. If they don't, don't swear but
    immediately ask to talk to a supervisor.

    Do the first 4 in order. Only rely on the web page you get from your modem
    for connect speed. This is the maximum rate you can use that the line will
    allow.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 1, 2009
  6. Tom Witnall

    squirltok Guest

    philo wrote:
    > Tom Witnall wrote:
    > > Thanks for this information, will harass them, as the level of service is
    > > unacceptable. Will take it to supervisors, their mediators, and then OFCOM
    > > if needed, because their customer service is atrocious, and we are not
    > > recieving the service we pay them for.

    > Yep...you need to insist on getting to a supervisor...
    > but just make sure all on your end is OK
    >
    > When I first got DSL I had to deal with SBC and when I talked to tech
    > support I got some clown who said he had no idea how to help me and that
    > I should try calling back and hopefully get someone smarter...then he
    > started to laugh.
    >
    > I hung up and realized that no matter who I got next...
    > it would at least be someone smarter... sheesh!

    Yea I usually do that.

    squirltok, Nov 2, 2009
  7. Tom Witnall

    PeeCee Guest

    "Tom Witnall" <> wrote in message
    > It is the second time in 3 months in which my max line speed has dropped.
    > In my house it is now only possible to get 0.2mbps maximum speed, this is
    > down from 1.5-2.0mbps average sped found at the point of sale when I was
    > upgrading my bropadband package. In October we found that the line had
    > degraded, and the new maximum line speed wa now 0.5, which was shocking as
    > the whole point of upgrading became moot, and we decided to make a formal
    > complaint then and there. Now today we find ourselves in a dire situation
    > where we can only recieve dial-up speeds and the max line speed being
    > 0.2mbps. I have a few questions, is virgin allowed to reduce their BB
    > speeds by this much and not inform their questions, and secondly can we
    > find anyone who will look into the appualing quality of the line, and
    > maybe make steps to improving it?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Tom

    To maximise your chances of getting your problem sorted do the following:

    1 Check the line is clean
    2 Check your modem is working fine
    3 Eliminate any speed restrictions caused by your terms of service

    1 Check you line is clean
    Disconnect 'all' devices from 'all' sockets on your broadband line.
    This includes filters, extension cords, phones, faxes and monitored alarms.
    Attach 'one' known good 'ordinary' phone to your broadband line and press
    one number in order to kill the dial tone.
    Then listen for any noise, static or hum.
    If you do have noticeable noise and or hum then you have a POTS (plain old
    telephone system) fault and you should log a 'phone' fault.
    Most telco's respond much quicker to a 'phone' fault because they can hear
    it for themseleves.
    (Obviously if there is noise when you reconnect all your phones etc then it
    should be a simple task to isolate the culprit by disconnecting each one in
    turn)

    2 Check your DSL Modem.
    First find the page in your modems settings that shows your 'connect' speed.
    The page location varies by brand & model, refer to your documentation.
    This connect speed is the negotiated maximum speed your modem and the
    exchange modem can work at and is a more reliable indicator for hardware
    faults than web based speed test's.
    For a 1.5-2 mbps speed test download I would expect to see a down 'connect'
    speed in the 2-4000 kbps.
    Up connect speed is normally around 1/10 th the down speed (128 - 512 kbps)

    If the connect speed is obviously slow then:
    a) Remove any filters and phones still connected for the noisy line tests,
    ie connect 'just' the modem to the phone line.
    b) do a hard reset on your DSL modem (usually a switch in a hole around the
    back) & retest.
    c) borrow a known good DSL modem and see if that reaches a decent connect
    speed.

    Obviously if the reset or a new modem fixes the problem then you have your
    'fix'

    3 Eliminate terms of service restrictions.
    As by now you have eliminated your end of the hardware the only other
    'customer' cause would be if you have a data limit that throttles your speed
    when your exceed the data limit's.
    This could be a straight data cap (eg1GB per month) that cuts your speed
    back to dialup speed (56kbps) for the rest of the month.
    Or it may be shaping applied when you overuse a particular service (eg p2p
    torrents)

    Look up your terms of service and your ISP's data usage page and reconcile.

    At all times write down the results of your test(s) so that when you ring
    your ISP's help desk you can show them you have covered all possible local
    causes.
    When you ring your ISP, be 'pleasant'. Anger, swearing, being pushy will
    guarantee you won't get your problem fixed.
    Having said that do not let your self be fobed of with any lame excuses and
    insist you speak to a supervisor if the CSO can 'not' solve your problem.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 2, 2009
  8. Tom Witnall

    VanguardLH Guest

    Tom Witnall wrote:

    > It is the second time in 3 months in which my max line speed has dropped. In
    > my house it is now only possible to get 0.2mbps maximum speed, this is down
    > from 1.5-2.0mbps average sped found at the point of sale when I was
    > upgrading my bropadband package. In October we found that the line had
    > degraded, and the new maximum line speed wa now 0.5, which was shocking as
    > the whole point of upgrading became moot, and we decided to make a formal
    > complaint then and there. Now today we find ourselves in a dire situation
    > where we can only recieve dial-up speeds and the max line speed being
    > 0.2mbps. I have a few questions, is virgin allowed to reduce their BB speeds
    > by this much and not inform their questions, and secondly can we find anyone
    > who will look into the appualing quality of the line, and maybe make steps
    > to improving it?

    It's possible your ISP provisioned your cable modem using the wrong
    configuration file. First try powering down the cable modem, the router
    connected to it (if you have one between your host(s) and the cable
    modem), and your computer(s). Then power up the cable modem and wait
    until it settles through it initialization sequence. Then power up your
    router and let it settle (usually pretty short). Then power up your
    computer(s) to see what speed you now have (use speedtest.net to check).

    Otherwise, call your ISP, tell them that your speed (bandwidth) is way
    too low, and ask them to reprovision your modem. They should ask you
    the brand and model of your modem to ensure they send it the correct
    configuration file. Also have then check (and make damn sure they
    check) that your account stipulates you have the higher bandwidth tier
    since the config file will reflect what your accounts dictates. You'll
    probably have to go through the above power cycling after the reconfig.

    VanguardLH, Nov 2, 2009
  9. Tom Witnall

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 21:15:45 -0000, Tom Witnall wrote:

    A small missive that missed his ISPs tech support.
    virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/national/broadband/troubleshooting/

    >by this much and not inform their questions, and secondly can we find anyone
    >who will look into the appualing quality of the line, and maybe make steps
    >to improving it?
    >Thanks in advance.

    Me

    why?, Nov 2, 2009