    Is there a way to keep it enabled?

    Thanks
    Chris

    Chris, May 4, 2005

  2. Chris wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I am using Win XP pro with SP2 as my connection to an ADSL modem and
    > share the connection to my network.
    >
    > It does not happen all the time but on most occasions the "Allow other
    > users to connect to the internet through this computers internet
    > connection" is unticked after I boot up.
    >
    > Is there a way to keep it enabled?

    Same advice as applies to most similar situations, get a router. Cheap,
    dependable.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 5, 2005

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Forgive my ignorance but does the Modem go directly into the the
    router?
    if not where does the router sit in relation to the network?

    Chris, May 5, 2005
  4. Chris

    FML Guest

    Chris spewed forth...

    > Hi all
    >
    > I am using Win XP pro with SP2 as my connection to an ADSL modem and
    > share the connection to my network.
    >
    > It does not happen all the time but on most occasions the "Allow other
    > users to connect to the internet through this computers internet
    > connection" is unticked after I boot up.
    >
    > Is there a way to keep it enabled?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chris

    I hate to sound like a broken record, but why not buy an inexpensive
    router and be done with all that ICS crap?

    Hmmm, did I just give away my age by using the "broken record" term?
    Broken CD just doesn't seem to do the trick :)

    FML, May 5, 2005
  5. Chris

    FML Guest

    Chris spewed forth...

    > Forgive my ignorance but does the Modem go directly into the the
    > router?
    > if not where does the router sit in relation to the network?

    modem --> router --> network

    FML, May 5, 2005
  6. Chris

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, May 5, 2005
  7. Chris

    George Guest

    "FML" <> wrote in message
    > Chris spewed forth...
    >
    >> Forgive my ignorance but does the Modem go directly into the the
    >> router?
    >> if not where does the router sit in relation to the network?

    > modem --> router --> network

    Although what FML wrote above is totally correct, it may be worth noting
    that this implies that you are using an ethernet ADSL modem. Most of
    the ADSL modems people use are USB. There are a vast number of routers
    with modems combined. All the main companies make them, and they are
    also inexpensive. You can also spend a bit more a do things wirelessly.
    So to clairify, here is how things will sit:-

    PC----|
    Router/Modem---->Internet
    PC----|

    Most routers have 4 ports, but you can add a simple switch or hub if you
    want to use more computers

    George

    George, May 5, 2005
  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks all I like the Router/modem combo idea so will look into it

    Chris, May 6, 2005