Internet Connection Sharing using Bluetooth.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2hpc2hpciBTcml2YXN0YXZh?=, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. Hi,
    First I hope this is the pertinent community for bluetooth related queries
    on Windows XP. Apologies if not. Coming to my bedlam..yes that's what I call
    it , because of soo many confusions I have created while trying to share the
    internet connection using it.

    The scenario : I have two bluetooth USB dongles, One PC, One laptop and a
    DSL broadband internet connection connected to PC. I wish to create a
    wireless connection between my laptop and PC using Bluetooth in order to
    access internet wirelessly on my laptop.

    The IVT Bluesoleil bluetooth dongles which I have, came along with a
    software to connect bluetooth devices with each other using various profiles,
    such as PAN, LAP (LAN Access Profile) etc.

    Where I stand as of now : I am able to connect the two BT devices attached
    on to my PC and laptop respectively using both PAN and LAP connections.

    The bedlam: When I am connected only through PAN, the IP adresses assigned
    are of the type 192.168.50.X. I get the connection icons in the taskbar on
    both of my machines. However I cannot ping any of machines from the other
    one. I cannot even open the shared folders on the other machine. And also for
    both the connections keep on sending packets but not a single packet is
    recieved on either machine.

    When I connect the machines usind Bluetooth LAN Access Profile or LAP, I get
    a strange connection, which is not of the type LAN or Hi-Speed Internet.
    Again the IP address assigned is of the type 192.168.0.141. With this
    connection in place, I can only ping from my PC to laptop, but not
    vice-versa. I can open my shared folder on laptop from my PC, but the
    vice-versa is again not possible.

    The setup I did : I have run the Network setup wizard for Home and small
    business networking on both the machines and configured everythign in the
    manner described in the Windows XP help and support.

    My queries : How do I share the internet connection from my PC to laptop. Do
    I need to bridge any networks? Bridging itself has some problems, i.e. I
    cannot bridge networks which have ICS(Ineternet Connection sharing) enabled.
    Also I cannot bridge my broadband internet connection and the bluetooth LAP
    connection because they are of different types.

    On which connection do I enable ICS, as in on my LAP or my broadband
    connections. What are the correct IP addresses which my machines should have
    in order to comply with the home networking rules.?

    Please can someone help me out and details me as to how to go about doing
    the same. Thanks for reading all through the question.

    Awating a reply.
    TIA and regards,
    Shishir

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hpc2hpciBTcml2YXN0YXZh?=, Oct 13, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpc2hpciBTcml2YXN0YXZh?=

    Gordon Guest

    "Shishir Srivastava" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Hi,
    > First I hope this is the pertinent community for bluetooth related queries
    > on Windows XP. Apologies if not. Coming to my bedlam..yes that's what I
    > call
    > it , because of soo many confusions I have created while trying to share
    > the
    > internet connection using it.
    >
    > The scenario : I have two bluetooth USB dongles, One PC, One laptop and a
    > DSL broadband internet connection connected to PC. I wish to create a
    > wireless connection between my laptop and PC using Bluetooth in order to
    > access internet wirelessly on my laptop.

    is the laptop wireless-enableed? if so do yourself a favour - ditch
    bluetooth and buy a wireless ADSL modem/router instead. Much simpler.

    Gordon, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Hi

    As mentioned above Bluetooth is a “bad” solution for Networking.

    However if your Bluetooth connection works, it need to be set to an IP in
    the range of 192.168.0.x in order to work with ICS.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 13, 2006
  4. "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > As mentioned above Bluetooth is a “bad†solution for Networking.
    >
    > However if your Bluetooth connection works, it need to be set to an IP in
    > the range of 192.168.0.x in order to work with ICS.
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > > "Shishir Srivastava" <> wrote
    > > in message news:...
    > >> Hi,
    > >> First I hope this is the pertinent community for bluetooth related
    > >> queries
    > >> on Windows XP. Apologies if not. Coming to my bedlam..yes that's what I
    > >> call
    > >> it , because of soo many confusions I have created while trying to share
    > >> the
    > >> internet connection using it.
    > >>
    > >> The scenario : I have two bluetooth USB dongles, One PC, One laptop and a
    > >> DSL broadband internet connection connected to PC. I wish to create a
    > >> wireless connection between my laptop and PC using Bluetooth in order to
    > >> access internet wirelessly on my laptop.

    > > is the laptop wireless-enableed? if so do yourself a favour - ditch
    > > bluetooth and buy a wireless ADSL modem/router instead. Much simpler.

    Thanks Jack, I know Bluetooth(BT) is a bad solution to this ICS problem, but
    I just wanted to try it out. I am however facing a new problem. My ADSL
    router has a DHCP server and automatically assigns the IP address to the PC.
    Although I have somehow managed to obtain the IP address 192.168.0.1 for my
    PC in order to enable ICS on this connection am getting a strange error this
    time. Which is when I click OK after checking the box for ICS in the
    properties sheet of my internet connection it says something like this:

    A LAN connection is already using an address which is required for automatic
    IP addressing. Please remove any static IP addresses from your connections.

    I checked that none of my other connections is using the static IP addresses
    in the range 192.168.0.x. Do you have any idea what this could mean. My ADSL
    routers IP adress which actually is the default gateway is - 192.168.0.2.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hpc2hpciBTcml2YXN0YXZh?=, Oct 14, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpc2hpciBTcml2YXN0YXZh?=

    ecnsltng

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    The DSl modem may have the IP address 192.168.0.1 - Mine does

    ecnsltng, Dec 28, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpc2hpciBTcml2YXN0YXZh?=

    ecnsltng

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Also note that the bluesoleil software does not require the use of ICS - at least version 2.3.0.0 - I am able to connect from a second PC to my internet connected one without problem - except for the 5M demo limit, just using the standard install, enabling the Lan access feature on internet PC and linking through the Lan Access profile that appears on the second PC.

    If you want to use the ICS - it is enabled on the Internet connected PC as opposed to the Laptop or secondary PC. This may be a Problem if your DSL modem uses the XP default and only setting I can see for ICS. Maybe the Modem IP can be changed?

    ecnsltng, Dec 28, 2007