Internet Connection Sharing on wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Dennis Jelavic, Dec 27, 2004.

  1. I have a network of 3 computers - 2 x XP Pro machines and 1 x Windows 2K
    Pro operating in a Workgroup on a wireless network. One of the XP a machines
    is configured as a Internet Gateway connecting to the net through a Alcatel
    broadband modem/router using ICS.

    The local network seems to work fine - any machine can see any other machine
    and file and print sharing work fine. However my laptop ( one of the XP
    machines) fails to be able to connect to the web for any URL except
    Google.com. I can access the google site and do whatever searches I like,
    but if I try to access any other site from the laptop the IE browser just
    hangs. I don't get the "Page Cannot be Displayed" message - the browser
    simply hangs.

    The Internet Gateway machine (XP) can access the internet normally as can
    the Windows 2K machine ( through the shared internet connection). As far as
    I can see all the options on the XP laptop are defined the same as those on
    the Windows 2K machine. I've read through the responses given to other
    people with similar problems and have defined the connections with the
    Firewall disabled. However this appears to have made no difference.

    Does anyone have any clues?

    Thanks,

    Dennis Jelavic

    Dennis Jelavic, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Try tip #3 at www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Unfortunately resetting Winsock didn't work. Any other suggestions?

    Dennis

    Dennis Jelavic, Dec 27, 2004
  4. Try adjusting the MTU setting.

    Explained here:
    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Thanks for the tips. Before making registry changes I'd like to confirm at
    few things.

    I may have been premature in stating that resetting winsock had no effect.
    In fact my scenario has now changed. I'm not quite sure what effected this
    but now my XP laptop and the Win2k machine both behave identically when
    accessing the web. If I now turn off the XP firewall both machines access
    the internet properly. However the problem described previously still exists
    in a slightly different form.

    If I access a web site with the firewall turned off the access fails. If I
    then turn on the firewall and access the site again I normally get access
    (but not always). If I try and access the site without first accessing it
    with the firewall off, the access fails. Access to the web on the Internet
    gateway machine works normally either with or without the firewall.

    I've had a look at the article on adjusting the MTU. On carrying out the MTU
    Ping test I get the message "Packets need to be fragmented" for packet sizes
    over 1472. The Ping test times out for sizes between 1272 - 1472. Below 1272
    The Ping gets a normal reply. Does this mean that the maximum MTU size
    should be set at 1271.

    I am also confused as to whether I in fact am using PPPoE. My Broadband
    modem/router IP address table refers to Point to Point over ATM (PPPoA). Is
    the issue the same?

    I feel I'm getting closer but need to confirm the above before blasting away
    at the registry.

    Dennis Jelavic, Dec 28, 2004
  6. What firewall are you using?

    Carey Holzman, Dec 28, 2004
  7. I'm sorry but my last communication may not have been all that clear. My
    current situation is as follows:

    If I access a web site with the firewall turned on the access fails. If I
    then turn off the firewall and access the site again, access is OK. If I
    then turn off the firewall again and then access the site again I normally
    get access (but not always). That is, If I try and access the site without
    first accessing it with the firewall off, the access fails. Access to the
    web on the Internet gateway machine works normally either with or without
    the firewall.

    I am using the Windows XP firewall.

    Dennis J.

    Dennis Jelavic, Dec 29, 2004
  8. If you are using a router, there is no need for a software firewall. What
    are you trying to accomplish?

    Carey Holzman, Dec 29, 2004
  9. Unfortunately, I have a Speedtouch 530 modem/router supplied by Telstra in
    Australia - Telstra is our largest Telco. However they disable the firewall
    and don't support it. I've tried Alcatel, who make the modem, and they don't
    support it at all in Australia - they have subcontracted support to the
    ISP -- Telstra. I've downloaded the manual from the Alcatel web site in an
    attempt to configure the firewall myself, but unfortunately configuration is
    through a command line interface and the parameters are beyond my level of
    network understanding.

    I really just wanted to do something which I thought was going to be very
    simple. I have two desktop computers at home each with a D-Link DWL 520+
    wireless adapter operating in a Workgroup. I have just recently bought a new
    laptop which I added to the workgroup so that I could share files and
    printing across this little LAN. One of the two desktops has the Speedtouch
    530 attached to it and I was hoping that all my machines would have shared
    access to the internet through that gateway. I also want to use the laptop
    to connect to the internet through public access points. Alas it is proving
    to be not as easy as I had anticipated

    To complete the picture, before acquiring the new laptop, I had an old NT
    Server machine also in the workgroup. It connected to the wireless net
    through an D-Link DWL 900 AP+ access point. When I had this previous network
    all machines communicated thru the access point in Infrastructure Mode. At
    that time my gateway machine and the Win 2K machine accessed the web without
    any problems but the NT Server could only access the Google site but no
    other -- just like the laptop when I initally conected it to this LAN. At
    that point I assumed the problem was something to do with the access point,
    so I pensioned off the NT server machine removed the access point and
    reconfigured the network to operate in Ad hoc mode without an access point.
    That is when I ran into the problems I am now trying to resolve.

    If the problem is MTU size related then why does the Win 2K machine now have
    a problem whereas it previously didn't have a problem?
    This has got me beaten. Is it possible that chucking out the XP firewall
    and using another product would solve the problem?

    Dennis J.

    Dennis Jelavic, Dec 30, 2004
  10. Have you considered purchasing a wireless router? This would make your
    network much easier to maintain, more secure and much more reliable. They
    sell for under $30 now!

    Carey Holzman, Dec 30, 2004