Internet connection sharing hell !

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark Foster, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Mark Foster

    Mark Foster Guest

    Hi

    I've got one machine that ADSL comes into
    Four machines on the network share that connection ( in theory ! )

    All machines are running XP

    The itnernet/email works fine on the host
    On the client machines though, web pages rarely fully load, they are often
    missing images or they simply get a DNS error. Likewise with email on the
    client machines is very erratic. One minute it will work, the next not. The
    only program that consistantly works on the clients is messenger which seems
    to enjoy a good connection.

    Zone alarm is running on the server but that's not to blame as I've always
    used that with the same settings and this problem is only recent. I've
    disconnected the xp built in firewall but that doesn't seem to help

    Network traffic in terms of files and sql server access to the server works
    perfectly. It just seems to be DNS resolving that is failing somehow ( but
    not all the time )

    Any ideas ?

    Cheers

    Mark

    Mark Foster, Jun 22, 2003

  2. Mark Foster

    1337 H4x0r Guest

    Can you confirm specifically what hardware the internet traffic goes into
    once it leaves the host machine i.e. hub!?

    1337 H4x0r, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Mark Foster

    Fred Orton Guest

    A few more details would help. From your message, I am going to assume that
    you have enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" on the host machine.

    Your host machine should have an ip address either given you by your isp or
    given you by dhcp. You want to confirm that.

    Secondly, you want to make sure the other machines on the network are set to
    receive ip, gateway, and dns information via dhcp (that is what ics does -
    it uses dhcp to give your client machines their ip, gateway and dns
    addresses).

    This process will work best if you have room for 2 network cards on the
    primary (host) computer. Make sure the two network cards are TWO DIFFERENT
    brands. It makes this a LOT easier. You would then go from your adsl modem
    to network card 1. You would enable internet connection sharing on card #2
    and go from it to the switch/hub. The reason for two different brands is
    that you can determine which is the incoming connection and which is the
    outgoing connection a lot easier than trying to guess which (for example)
    dlink card is #1 and which is #2 in the properties.

    Hope this helps!

    Fred.

    Fred Orton, Jun 24, 2003