Internet connection problems-modem or cable company?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Dec 22, 2007.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > For the past two weeks our cable internet does not work. The lights
    > on the Motorola modem take turns flashing. There is no set time when
    > this happens. It will be fine for a couple of days then do it 3 times
    > in a day. I have a service visit set up but wanted to know if it is
    > my modem or THEIR lines so I will know what to expect/do.

    Fortunately in my experiences with Motorola cable modems over the years
    the modem has always been owned by the cableco. During those years I've
    had about 3 or 4 different modems, losing a modem every year or three in
    the early years. Presently my current modem has been working without
    fail for a number of years.

    You didn't name your modem. My SB4200 has logs so that you can look at
    'conditions' of the signal. My cable TV also has a service mode which
    allows me to troubleshoot the conditions of the signal for that cablebox
    as well.

    If you shutdown your modem and then power it up, the diagnostic lights
    on the front should go thru' a normal procedure from power to receive to
    send to online to activity described in the modem's manual. If you look
    at your modem's condition with your browser which on my modem is
    http://192.168.100.1 the default page is startup info and additional
    modem html displays are for signal which shows signal to noise and power
    level for both upstream and downstream signals. In addition there is a
    log page which shows what kinds of glitches have been going on recently
    and a help page to help you interpret some of that.

    The advantage of the cableco owning the modem is that when a modem dies
    the cableco just replaces the modem with a newer and better one and you
    just keep on truckin'. My cableco has never offered a lower priced
    monthly rate based on the customer owning hir own modem as some cablecos
    do.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Scott, Dec 22, 2007

  3. Mike Easter

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > For the past two weeks our cable internet does not work. The lights on the
    > Motorola modem take turns flashing. There is no set time when this
    > happens.
    > It will be fine for a couple of days then do it 3 times in a day. I have
    > service visit set up but wanted to know if it is my modem or THEIR lines
    > so
    > I will know what to expect/do.

    If the lights are flashing on the modem, it's on it's way out.

    Modems don't last forever. You should get a new one, whether you go buy one
    or get one from the cable company/ISP.
    Mr. Arnold, Dec 23, 2007
  4. Mike Easter

    Brett Kline Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > For the past two weeks our cable internet does not work. The lights on the
    > Motorola modem take turns flashing. There is no set time when this happens.
    > It will be fine for a couple of days then do it 3 times in a day. I have a
    > service visit set up but wanted to know if it is my modem or THEIR lines so
    > I will know what to expect/do.
    >
    > THANKS!

    During normal operation a Motorola has four solid LEDs: power, receive,
    send, and online. The PC activity light may flicker or appear solid.

    Follow the coax cable backward. If you find a splitter, unplug the modem
    from power, bypass the splitter, then apply power to the cable modem.

    If you now have four solid LEDs, great. If you have a standby light only
    press the standby button on the top of the modem. Any other combinations
    of LEDs indicates the cable modem is not fully communicating with your ISP.
    Brett Kline, Dec 23, 2007
  5. Scott wrote:

    > For the past two weeks our cable internet does not work. The lights on the
    > Motorola modem take turns flashing. There is no set time when this
    > happens.
    > It will be fine for a couple of days then do it 3 times in a day. I have
    > a service visit set up but wanted to know if it is my modem or THEIR lines
    > so I will know what to expect/do.
    >
    > THANKS!
    >
    > Kim

    Hook a tv to the cable. You see a picture? If so, the cable is good... now
    to call internet support and start dianoseing if it's a dead modem or their
    hardware...

    --

    Jerry McBride ()
    Jerry McBride, Dec 23, 2007
  6. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:15:45 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > dianoseing

    Huh?????????
    Aardvark, Dec 23, 2007
  7. On 2007-12-23, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Aardvark waxed eloquently:
    > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:15:45 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >
    >> dianoseing

    Sniffing something out? :)

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead
    The Old Sourdough, Dec 24, 2007