internet connection problem?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bzburr@yahoo.com.au, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all

    stange pc network problem

    last night my XP box decided it didtn want to connect to the internet
    via the router

    it dual boots to Ubuntu, so i tried than and Ubuntu connects fine - so
    theres a problem with my XP setup

    I can "see" and configure the router via its interface from my XP box,
    so there is network things working locally and local filesharing works
    too.

    My GF's PC and iBook both connect to the internet trhough the router
    without issues.

    However (and this is the strange bit)
    I used to work at a firm which set me up with a VPN to their network,
    so i tried running that on my XP box ...and bugger me if it doesnt
    work!

    i.e. i cannot connect "normally' in XP,
    but if i run the VPN it works fine

    does anyone have any suggestions/ideas as to what might be broken and
    how to fix it?

    Buzz
    , Oct 4, 2006

  2. EMB Guest

    wrote:

    > does anyone have any suggestions/ideas as to what might be broken and
    > how to fix it?

    Given that it's Windows XP you're using then some piece of nastyware
    affecting things is quite likely.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 4, 2006

  3. Earl Grey Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > stange pc network problem
    >
    > last night my XP box decided it didtn want to connect to the internet
    > via the router
    >
    > it dual boots to Ubuntu, so i tried than and Ubuntu connects fine - so
    > theres a problem with my XP setup
    >

    > I can "see" and configure the router via its interface from my XP box,
    > so there is network things working locally and local filesharing works
    > too.
    >
    > My GF's PC and iBook both connect to the internet trhough the router
    > without issues.
    >
    > However (and this is the strange bit)
    > I used to work at a firm which set me up with a VPN to their network,
    > so i tried running that on my XP box ...and bugger me if it doesnt
    > work!
    >
    > i.e. i cannot connect "normally' in XP,
    > but if i run the VPN it works fine
    >

    > does anyone have any suggestions/ideas as to what might be broken and
    > how to fix it?
    >
    > Buzz

    Try logging into your router and deleting the dhcp table, I have had
    similar problems when dual booting and changing wifi cards around, and
    that turned out to be the fix.
    Earl Grey, Oct 4, 2006
  4. What are your DNS settings like on your XP box?

    Is XP lost with IP numbers or names?
    bob the builder, Oct 5, 2006
  5. Dave Taylor Guest

    "" <> wrote in

    > does anyone have any suggestions/ideas as to what might be broken and
    > how to fix it?

    Windows XP
    Start, run, cmd, enter, route print, enter
    note results.

    Boot linux issue the same kind of linux command
    note the difference if any.

    VPN software can make routing changes and maybe it changed your default
    gateway?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Oct 6, 2006