internet connection problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thaielvis, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. thaielvis

    thaielvis Guest

    hello please help

    I am running windows xp and my internet browser (both IE and firefox)
    doesn't connect to the internet when I use my dsl line on my laptop.
    However,
    I am able to connect to the internet via my wireless through the same
    hub as the dsl.

    Additonal Things I've noticed:
    On another of my computer the internet does connect via the dsl line
    using xp and firefox.
    On the same laptop (dual booted) when I use Linux's Fedora I am able to
    connect via the dsl line (and wireless).

    I have no idea what the problem is, I've run both anitvirus (Avast) and
    antispyware (Lavasoft) and found nothing.


    Another relating question,
    can one computer (i.e. the main computer with dsl line 1 in the hub) be
    able to block off other computer? I am suspecious that someone on the
    network maybe blocking off my computer as well.

    thank you
    thaielvis, Nov 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. thaielvis

    Gordon Guest

    thaielvis wrote:
    > hello please help
    >
    > I am running windows xp and my internet browser (both IE and firefox)
    > doesn't connect to the internet when I use my dsl line on my laptop.
    > However,
    > I am able to connect to the internet via my wireless through the same
    > hub as the dsl.
    >
    > Additonal Things I've noticed:
    > On another of my computer the internet does connect via the dsl line
    > using xp and firefox.
    > On the same laptop (dual booted) when I use Linux's Fedora I am able to
    > connect via the dsl line (and wireless).
    >
    > I have no idea what the problem is, I've run both anitvirus (Avast) and
    > antispyware (Lavasoft) and found nothing.
    >
    >
    > Another relating question,
    > can one computer (i.e. the main computer with dsl line 1 in the hub) be
    > able to block off other computer? I am suspecious that someone on the
    > network maybe blocking off my computer as well.
    >
    > thank you
    >


    You may find that the wireless connection is using a different IP range
    to the cable connection - and that your firewall is not configured to
    let the cable connection IP range through.
    Gordon, Nov 28, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. thaielvis

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-28, thaielvis <> wrote:
    > hello please help


    snip

    > Another relating question,
    > can one computer (i.e. the main computer with dsl line 1 in the hub) be
    > able to block off other computer? I am suspecious that someone on the
    > network maybe blocking off my computer as well.
    >
    > thank you


    Who has access to the settings of the "hub"?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
    Whiskers, Nov 28, 2006
    #3
  4. thaielvis

    thaielvis Guest

    -Gordon,
    How do you, what steps do you need to do, to configigure the cable IP
    connection?

    -Whiskers
    A new roomate has his computer plugged into the the hub connection 1
    I'm connected to the same hub but on 2, I don't know if theres anything
    he can do to the hub or his computer such that my computer will be
    rejected via cable connection to that hub.


    hey thanks alot people! :)


    Gordon wrote:
    > thaielvis wrote:
    > > hello please help
    > >
    > > I am running windows xp and my internet browser (both IE and firefox)
    > > doesn't connect to the internet when I use my dsl line on my laptop.
    > > However,
    > > I am able to connect to the internet via my wireless through the same
    > > hub as the dsl.
    > >
    > > Additonal Things I've noticed:
    > > On another of my computer the internet does connect via the dsl line
    > > using xp and firefox.
    > > On the same laptop (dual booted) when I use Linux's Fedora I am able to
    > > connect via the dsl line (and wireless).
    > >
    > > I have no idea what the problem is, I've run both anitvirus (Avast) and
    > > antispyware (Lavasoft) and found nothing.
    > >
    > >
    > > Another relating question,
    > > can one computer (i.e. the main computer with dsl line 1 in the hub) be
    > > able to block off other computer? I am suspecious that someone on the
    > > network maybe blocking off my computer as well.
    > >
    > > thank you
    > >

    >
    > You may find that the wireless connection is using a different IP range
    > to the cable connection - and that your firewall is not configured to
    > let the cable connection IP range through.
    thaielvis, Nov 29, 2006
    #4
  5. thaielvis

    Gordon Guest

    thaielvis wrote:
    > -Gordon,
    > How do you, what steps do you need to do, to configigure the cable IP
    > connection?


    You need to look in the manual for your router to see what IP range(s)
    are used for both Wireless and cabled connection.

    You then need to make sure that your firewall on the cabled connection
    is set to allow those ranges.
    Gordon, Nov 29, 2006
    #5
  6. thaielvis

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-29, thaielvis <> wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> thaielvis wrote:


    snip

    > -Gordon,
    > How do you, what steps do you need to do, to configigure the cable IP
    > connection?
    >
    > -Whiskers
    > A new roomate has his computer plugged into the the hub connection 1
    > I'm connected to the same hub but on 2, I don't know if theres anything
    > he can do to the hub or his computer such that my computer will be
    > rejected via cable connection to that hub.
    >
    >
    > hey thanks alot people! :)


    It makes it more likely that people will notice your replies to them, if
    you reply to them rather than to someone else - I only noticed this
    article by accident as I hit the space-bar to go to 'next un-read
    article', whereas if you'd replied directly to my article, my newsreader
    would have highlighted your post and moved it to the top of the list.

    I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "hub", but it sounds like what is
    usually called a "router". Such devices usually have some kind of
    administrator control, normally using a 'web page' which you can log into
    using your 'web browser' and (at least for changing the settings) using
    the appropriate password. If your room-mate knows what the password is for
    getting to the settings of the router, then he could indeed arrange things
    to block your computer - either accidentally, or on purpose. So could
    you, of course.

    If the "hub" is just a "dumb switch", then there probably won't be any
    settings to control who can do what - but if one user is taking up all the
    available bandwidth, then other users will have difficulty getting anything
    through.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
    Whiskers, Nov 29, 2006
    #6
  7. thaielvis

    thaielvis Guest

    Netgear wireless router (MR814V12)

    thats what i'm using, so I suppose there can be a webpage for admin
    control as you suggested yes?
    if so, the next question will be, call the internet provider and get
    into that page yes?
    would it be so easy to disable/able access to the internet from the
    admin web page?

    just to make sure though, theres no way for another computer to block
    access but only the web page from the internet provider (which the
    person with the password has access) correct?

    again, sorry about not replying directly, I'm quite new to this
    internet group thing. I really appreciate your help though. Situation
    is, I just moved in with this family and I have to deal with their only
    son, who at times can be a real donkey. I noticed since he came back
    the I have not been able to access through the dsl line connection to
    netgear, the only access I get is through its wireless which is really
    slow.

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-11-29, thaielvis <> wrote:
    > > Gordon wrote:
    > >> thaielvis wrote:

    >
    > snip
    >
    > > -Gordon,
    > > How do you, what steps do you need to do, to configigure the cable IP
    > > connection?
    > >
    > > -Whiskers
    > > A new roomate has his computer plugged into the the hub connection 1
    > > I'm connected to the same hub but on 2, I don't know if theres anything
    > > he can do to the hub or his computer such that my computer will be
    > > rejected via cable connection to that hub.
    > >
    > >
    > > hey thanks alot people! :)

    >
    > It makes it more likely that people will notice your replies to them, if
    > you reply to them rather than to someone else - I only noticed this
    > article by accident as I hit the space-bar to go to 'next un-read
    > article', whereas if you'd replied directly to my article, my newsreader
    > would have highlighted your post and moved it to the top of the list.
    >
    > I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "hub", but it sounds like what is
    > usually called a "router". Such devices usually have some kind of
    > administrator control, normally using a 'web page' which you can log into
    > using your 'web browser' and (at least for changing the settings) using
    > the appropriate password. If your room-mate knows what the password is for
    > getting to the settings of the router, then he could indeed arrange things
    > to block your computer - either accidentally, or on purpose. So could
    > you, of course.
    >
    > If the "hub" is just a "dumb switch", then there probably won't be any
    > settings to control who can do what - but if one user is taking up all the
    > available bandwidth, then other users will have difficulty getting anything
    > through.
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~
    thaielvis, Nov 30, 2006
    #7
  8. thaielvis

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-30, thaielvis <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2006-11-29, thaielvis <> wrote:
    >> > Gordon wrote:
    >> >> thaielvis wrote:


    snip

    >> I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "hub", but it sounds like what is
    >> usually called a "router". Such devices usually have some kind of
    >> administrator control, normally using a 'web page' which you can log into
    >> using your 'web browser' and (at least for changing the settings) using
    >> the appropriate password. If your room-mate knows what the password is for
    >> getting to the settings of the router, then he could indeed arrange things
    >> to block your computer - either accidentally, or on purpose. So could
    >> you, of course.


    snip

    > Netgear wireless router (MR814V12)
    >
    > thats what i'm using, so I suppose there can be a webpage for admin
    > control as you suggested yes?
    > if so, the next question will be, call the internet provider and get
    > into that page yes?
    > would it be so easy to disable/able access to the internet from the
    > admin web page?


    The administration 'web page' for the router, is on the router itself, and
    has nothing to do with the ISP. Whoever has the password for controlling
    the router, controls what everyone can and cannot do using that router.

    If you haven't got the instructions for the router (usually a PDF file on
    a CD packed with the device), you can probably download it from Netgear's
    own web site.

    > just to make sure though, theres no way for another computer to block
    > access but only the web page from the internet provider (which the
    > person with the password has access) correct?


    It has nothing to do with the ISP; whoever controls the router, controls
    the access of everyone using that router. (A router /is/ a computer).

    > again, sorry about not replying directly, I'm quite new to this
    > internet group thing.


    Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

    <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

    and here

    <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
    newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

    > I really appreciate your help though. Situation
    > is, I just moved in with this family and I have to deal with their only
    > son, who at times can be a real donkey.


    Who pays for the internet connection? Who has physical access to the
    router? If you are required to share the same internet connection then
    the first thing you have to do is negotiate with all the people sharing
    and agree some way of sharing it (and paying for it) fairly. That has
    nothing to do with the equipment; it's a people thing.

    > I noticed since he came back
    > the I have not been able to access through the dsl line connection to
    > netgear,


    I think you mean an 'ethernet' cable connecting your computer to the
    router.

    > the only access I get is through its wireless which is really
    > slow.


    Are you sure that the wireless connection you are getting is actually from
    the same router? It could be that you are using a neighbour's
    badly-configured wireless router.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
    Whiskers, Nov 30, 2006
    #8
  9. thaielvis

    thaielvis Guest

    as of late

    didn't have too much time to look into the problem today
    but i did noticed that after reseting the netgear router, and loging
    into the router via its webpage, my dsl ethernet connection still did
    not work via windows xp (mozilla or ie).

    i ping the router though via windows xp, and that seem to work fine,
    (didn't get a chance to ping the net, mainly bc i dont have an ip# to
    ping at hand).

    i noticed that the dsl ethernet icon doesn't show up in the network
    connections folder when i plug it in, i'm thinking now that the problem
    is my windows xp. i'm reading the TCP/IP stuff right now that netgear's
    manual actually have some good description about.

    question, since my linux (using GNOME's Fedora) connects the the net
    fine via dsl ethernet to router (on same computer) and since windows xp
    doesn't, this must mean that the problem lies in some configuration of
    xp yes?

    i'll continue to read up on the sites you've listed, they're of good
    help.
    thanks whiskers



    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-11-30, thaielvis <> wrote:
    > > Whiskers wrote:
    > >> On 2006-11-29, thaielvis <> wrote:
    > >> > Gordon wrote:
    > >> >> thaielvis wrote:

    >
    > snip
    >
    > >> I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "hub", but it sounds like what is
    > >> usually called a "router". Such devices usually have some kind of
    > >> administrator control, normally using a 'web page' which you can log into
    > >> using your 'web browser' and (at least for changing the settings) using
    > >> the appropriate password. If your room-mate knows what the password is for
    > >> getting to the settings of the router, then he could indeed arrange things
    > >> to block your computer - either accidentally, or on purpose. So could
    > >> you, of course.

    >
    > snip
    >
    > > Netgear wireless router (MR814V12)
    > >
    > > thats what i'm using, so I suppose there can be a webpage for admin
    > > control as you suggested yes?
    > > if so, the next question will be, call the internet provider and get
    > > into that page yes?
    > > would it be so easy to disable/able access to the internet from the
    > > admin web page?

    >
    > The administration 'web page' for the router, is on the router itself, and
    > has nothing to do with the ISP. Whoever has the password for controlling
    > the router, controls what everyone can and cannot do using that router.
    >
    > If you haven't got the instructions for the router (usually a PDF file on
    > a CD packed with the device), you can probably download it from Netgear's
    > own web site.
    >
    > > just to make sure though, theres no way for another computer to block
    > > access but only the web page from the internet provider (which the
    > > person with the password has access) correct?

    >
    > It has nothing to do with the ISP; whoever controls the router, controls
    > the access of everyone using that router. (A router /is/ a computer).
    >
    > > again, sorry about not replying directly, I'm quite new to this
    > > internet group thing.

    >
    > Newcomers to newsgroups should start here
    >
    > <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>
    >
    > and here
    >
    > <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
    > newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.
    >
    > > I really appreciate your help though. Situation
    > > is, I just moved in with this family and I have to deal with their only
    > > son, who at times can be a real donkey.

    >
    > Who pays for the internet connection? Who has physical access to the
    > router? If you are required to share the same internet connection then
    > the first thing you have to do is negotiate with all the people sharing
    > and agree some way of sharing it (and paying for it) fairly. That has
    > nothing to do with the equipment; it's a people thing.
    >
    > > I noticed since he came back
    > > the I have not been able to access through the dsl line connection to
    > > netgear,

    >
    > I think you mean an 'ethernet' cable connecting your computer to the
    > router.
    >
    > > the only access I get is through its wireless which is really
    > > slow.

    >
    > Are you sure that the wireless connection you are getting is actually from
    > the same router? It could be that you are using a neighbour's
    > badly-configured wireless router.
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~
    thaielvis, Dec 1, 2006
    #9
  10. thaielvis

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-01, thaielvis <> wrote:
    > as of late
    >
    > didn't have too much time to look into the problem today
    > but i did noticed that after reseting the netgear router, and loging
    > into the router via its webpage, my dsl ethernet connection still did
    > not work via windows xp (mozilla or ie).
    >
    > i ping the router though via windows xp, and that seem to work fine,
    > (didn't get a chance to ping the net, mainly bc i dont have an ip# to
    > ping at hand).


    Using the dig command in your Linux system, you can easily get the IP
    numbers for any domain name.

    I suspect that your Windows system has incorrect settings for the DNS
    servers (which translate domain names into IP numbers).

    > i noticed that the dsl ethernet icon doesn't show up in the network
    > connections folder when i plug it in, i'm thinking now that the problem
    > is my windows xp. i'm reading the TCP/IP stuff right now that netgear's
    > manual actually have some good description about.
    >
    > question, since my linux (using GNOME's Fedora) connects the the net
    > fine via dsl ethernet to router (on same computer) and since windows xp
    > doesn't, this must mean that the problem lies in some configuration of
    > xp yes?


    Yes. I can't help you with that; Windows is a mystery to me.

    > i'll continue to read up on the sites you've listed, they're of good
    > help.
    > thanks whiskers


    You're welcome :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
    Whiskers, Dec 1, 2006
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?am9uX2p3Yg==?=

    Internet connection but no workgroup connection

    =?Utf-8?B?am9uX2p3Yg==?=, Nov 27, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,336
    =?Utf-8?B?am9uX2p3Yg==?=
    Nov 28, 2005
  2. The Babaloughesian

    Which connection is my "internet connection"?

    The Babaloughesian, Apr 14, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    387
    The Babaloughesian
    Apr 14, 2005
  3. The Babaloughesian

    Which connection is my "internet connection"?

    The Babaloughesian, Apr 14, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    379
    pip22
    Apr 15, 2005
  4. The Babaloughesian

    Which connection is my "internet connection"?

    The Babaloughesian, Apr 14, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    378
    Mike Easter
    Apr 14, 2005
  5. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    977
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Jan 7, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page