    connect to the same telephone line. I bought system mechanic, installed
    it, checked for viruses, etc. No improvement. Please help!!

    , Apr 14, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I have a problem, I have dial up and its very slow. I have to deal with
    > this due to my location.I have Win xp home.For several months, my
    > connect speed is slower. The problem is my connection is stable @ the
    > slowest speed. When the speed is higher, I get disconnected, or pages
    > won't load at all. I have a laptop and have no problems with this.I
    > connect to the same telephone line. I bought system mechanic, installed
    > it, checked for viruses, etc. No improvement. Please help!!

    Uninstall System Mechanic, buy a decent modem. You can try updating the
    drivers for your present modem first, but probably getting a new modem
    will be the answer. A hardware controlled external modem is usually
    considered best, but I've had good luck with less expensive units. Go to
    www.newegg.com and look through their modems (listed under "networking")
    and read the reviews on different models. Get one that has a five star
    rating and has quite a few reviewers.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 14, 2006

  3. MadMike42 Guest

    Bet you are using a internal modem?

    If you are - bin it!
    Get a good external modem US Robotics is good
    I remember before I got ADSL, I used to play TFC, and I
    got as good pings using a good quality external modem
    as the guys in America where getting with Cable.
    Mike.

    MadMike42, Apr 14, 2006
  4. JANA Guest

    I have had this type of fault with lower cost or defective modems. I would
    try a new modem, but a good one. External modems are usually more stable
    than the internal ones.

    If you want to properly test your phone line and modem combination,
    disconnect all other equipment from your telephone line. It is best to have
    as short as possible an extension between your modem and the telephone line.

    An interesting question would be, have you thought about DSL service? This
    would certainly be much better than a dialup, and also a lot more stable.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 14, 2006