    nothing has worked. I would appreciate any help. I am using Windows 98
    Second Edition, Internet Explorer 5, ( I was using Internet Explorer 6, but
    reverted back to old version in hope of solving problem. Thanks.

    Rodger Belger, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Rodger Belger

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Rodger Belger" <> wrote in
    news:I3Fqb.30236$:

    > I would greatly appreciate any suggestion that might help me solve the
    > problem I am having. I have both AT&T and People PC ISP providers. I
    > can sign on to both, use the Internet, mail etc. for approximately 30
    > minutes, then I receive a Page cannot be displayed message, (DNS
    > error). After this error occurs, I am still connected, but cannot
    > access any web page, or receive mail. It happens about every 30
    > minutes. If I disconnect, and try to connect again, I can connect
    > right away, but still get the Page cannot be displayed message. I
    > have to reboot the computer in order to sign on for another 30 minute
    > session. Signing on to both ISP providers result in the same error,
    > after about 30 minutes. I have another computer, which has almost
    > identical software and am able to sign on and stay on indefinitely.
    > I have reinstalled the modem, checked the memory, cleared the temp
    > files, nothing has worked. I would appreciate any help. I am using
    > Windows 98 Second Edition, Internet Explorer 5, ( I was using Internet
    > Explorer 6, but reverted back to old version in hope of solving
    > problem. Thanks.

    Sounds to me like the modem may be going out. See if you can get a temp
    modem to see if the problem continues.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 8, 2003

  3. I installed a new modem, and the problem remained. I have noticed that
    something seems to be keeping track of the time I am on the internet. For
    instance, I stay online for lets say 20 minutes, then disconnect. I go
    online later in the day, and after 10 minutes, I get the same error (Page
    cannot be displayed) as when I did when I stayed online for 30 minutes. If
    I stay online for 5 minutes, and then go back on later for 25 minutes the
    same thing happens. As I mentioned in my first post, if I reboot, I get to
    connect for 30 minutes. I would appreciate any suggestions.

    delayed reaction, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Rodger Belger

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "delayed reaction" <> wrote in

    > I installed a new modem, and the problem remained. I have noticed
    > that something seems to be keeping track of the time I am on the
    > internet. For instance, I stay online for lets say 20 minutes, then
    > disconnect. I go online later in the day, and after 10 minutes, I get
    > the same error (Page cannot be displayed) as when I did when I stayed
    > online for 30 minutes. If I stay online for 5 minutes, and then go
    > back on later for 25 minutes the same thing happens. As I mentioned
    > in my first post, if I reboot, I get to connect for 30 minutes. I
    > would appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> "Rodger Belger" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I would greatly appreciate any suggestion that might help me solve
    >> > the problem I am having. I have both AT&T and People PC ISP
    >> > providers. I can sign on to both, use the Internet, mail etc. for
    >> > approximately 30 minutes, then I receive a Page cannot be displayed
    >> > message, (DNS error). After this error occurs, I am still
    >> > connected, but cannot access any web page, or receive mail. It
    >> > happens about every 30 minutes. If I disconnect, and try to
    >> > connect again, I can connect right away, but still get the Page
    >> > cannot be displayed message. I have to reboot the computer in
    >> > order to sign on for another 30 minute session. Signing on to both
    >> > ISP providers result in the same error, after about 30 minutes. I
    >> > have another computer, which has almost identical software and am
    >> > able to sign on and stay on indefinitely. I have reinstalled the
    >> > modem, checked the memory, cleared the temp files, nothing has
    >> > worked. I would appreciate any help. I am using Windows 98 Second
    >> > Edition, Internet Explorer 5, ( I was using Internet Explorer 6,
    >> > but reverted back to old version in hope of solving problem.
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >

    >> Sounds to me like the modem may be going out. See if you can get a
    >> temp modem to see if the problem continues.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    I would make a note of the IP that has been assigned by the ISP when you
    first logon, by using IPCONFIG at the Command line.

    And then when the problem happens, use IPCONFIG to see if you still have
    a vaild IP. It's a shot.

    It could be that you have some kind of malware running on the machine too
    that could be doing something.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 9, 2003