    how do i fix that?
    I am not a technical person. so pls explain simply.
    Thanks

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    computer is running xp pro
    with cable modem

    <> wrote in message
    news:CylAb.4588$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I can check my emails with outlook express even posting on newsgroup

    here..
    > but just can't connect to any website..wherever i go it says..page cannot

    be

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Guest

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    Check your hosts file, if you have one.

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:18:10 GMT, in
    <CylAb.4588$>
    <> scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello Mike

    Thanks for your reply
    but what's a hosts file? where to check?
    how?

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Guest

    °Mike° Guest

    If you don't know about, you may not have one, unless some
    malware has created one on your system. It is a file called
    hosts (no extension) that is kept in the Windows folder. Search
    your drive, and if you don't have one, don't worry about it.
    http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 16:58:58 GMT, in
    <mVnAb.5517$>
    <> scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    yea..my problem here is i cant connect to any of the website
    so i can't go to the link you posted here

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Mike

    Every web page that i try to go shows

    The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
    might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
    browser settings.

    Please try the following:

    a.. Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    b.. If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that
    it is spelled correctly.

    c.. To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and
    then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The
    settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN)
    administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    d.. If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows
    can examine your network and automatically discover network connection
    settings.
    If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
    click Detect Network Settings
    e.. Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help
    menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength
    security you have installed.
    f.. If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your
    Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click
    Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and
    check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    g.. Click the Back button to try another link.

    Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  8. Guest

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, sorry. Forget about the hosts file for now. First of all,
    close ALL applications, including Internet Explorer. Open
    the Control Panel and from 'Internet Options', empty your
    temporary internet files, including offline content. Reboot
    and immediately (before you open anything else), empty
    your TEMP folder/s. Empty your recycle bin, including the
    Norton Protected recycle bin, if you have it.

    Try to connect to the web again.

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:13:46 GMT, in
    <e7oAb.81164$>
    <> scrawled:

    >yea..my problem here is i cant connect to any of the website
    >so i can't go to the link you posted here

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    just restarted...same thing
    can't go to any website..shows only this page cannot be display
    the heading of the internet explorer shows cannot find server

    weird eh..

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  11. Guest

    Boomer Guest

    <> wrote in

    > Cannot find server or DNS Error
    > Internet Explorer

    Maybe some help here.

    http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm

    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  12. Guest

    °Mike° Guest

    Copy and paste the following into Notepad and Save
    as..." (All file types) "fixdns.reg", including quotes.
    Double click on the .reg file to merge it into your registry.
    Note: Everything between [ and ] MUST be one line only,
    and there must be a blank line at the end.

    ***** <-- omit this line
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
    "NegativeCacheTime"=dword:00000000
    "NetFailureCacheTime"=dword:00000000
    "NegativeSOACacheTime"=dword:00000000

    ***** <-- omit this line

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:34:52 GMT, in
    <0roAb.81182$>
    <> scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 6, 2003
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    know what i dont' get it..
    cuz im not a technical person at all

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    i have copied those things you typed...and saved to notepad at all type and
    the file name you gave me.

    but i don't understand what is double click on .reg file to merge it into
    the registry.
    first of all where is .reg file? so i can go double click it..

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  15. Guest

    °Mike° Guest

    There's nothing technical there. Follow the instructions.
    You do know what Notepad is, don't you?

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:57:47 GMT, in
    <vMoAb.82420$>
    <> scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 6, 2003
  16. Guest

    °Mike° Guest

    You don't understand what double-click is?

    Pack up your computer, in it's box, and sell it.

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:01:43 GMT, in
    <bQoAb.82422$>
    <> scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 6, 2003
  17. Guest

    Guest Guest

    i don't know where the .reg file is

    i don't know where it is.. so i don't know where to double click it

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  18. Guest

    Boomer Guest

    <> wrote in

    > i have copied those things you typed...and saved to notepad at all
    > type and the file name you gave me.
    >
    > but i don't understand what is double click on .reg file to merge
    > it into the registry.
    > first of all where is .reg file?

    Where did you place the file (fixdns.reg) that you just created and
    saved?
    Find it (on your C drive) and double click on it.

    > so i can go double click it..
    > <> wrote in message
    >> know what i dont' get it..
    >> cuz im not a technical person at all
    >>
    >> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> > Copy and paste the following into Notepad and Save
    >> > as..." (All file types) "fixdns.reg", including quotes.
    >> > Double click on the .reg file to merge it into your registry.
    >> > Note: Everything between [ and ] MUST be one line only,
    >> > and there must be a blank line at the end.
    >> >
    >> > ***** <-- omit this line
    >> > REGEDIT4
    >> >

    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Para
    > meters]
    >> > "NegativeCacheTime"=dword:00000000
    >> > "NetFailureCacheTime"=dword:00000000
    >> > "NegativeSOACacheTime"=dword:00000000
    >> >
    >> > ***** <-- omit this line
    >> >

    >> > On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:34:52 GMT, in
    >> > <0roAb.81182$>
    >> > <> scrawled:

    >> > --
    >> > Basic computer maintenance
    >> > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    --
    I need to go lie down in a darkened room.
    -anOLDun

    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  19. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ok double clicked and merged
    rebooted puter...
    still can't visit any web
    only email is working

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  20. Guest

    Boomer Guest

    <> wrote in

    > ok double clicked and merged
    > rebooted puter...
    > still can't visit any web
    > only email is working

    Did you check out the link I posted to you earlier?

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > i have copied those things you typed...and saved to notepad at
    >> > all type and the file name you gave me.
    >> >
    >> > but i don't understand what is double click on .reg file to
    >> > merge it into the registry.
    >> > first of all where is .reg file?

    >> Where did you place the file (fixdns.reg) that you just created
    >> and saved?
    >> Find it (on your C drive) and double click on it.

    [big snip]

    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003