internet connection linkys router

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by K M, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. K M

    K M Guest

    Folks,
    Just about to pull my hair out! I have 5 pc's connected to a wireless
    router. 4 are wireless and one is hard wired to the nic. All 4 wireless
    connections are crisp and working fine. The "wired" pc however, is not
    receiving a signal. I thought that the problem was with the onboard nic that
    is actually part of the motherboard. I bought and installed a new 3com nic,
    installed the drivers and put a new cable between the nic and the
    router...still no connection.

    I open the command prompt box and type ipconfig...and see that DHCP is
    configured "yes". I also see an IP address that was assigned to the pc. I
    have the TCIP properties configured to all automatic assignment. But still
    no internet connection.

    I am stumped!

    Any thoughts??????

    Thanks!

    Kyle

    K M, Nov 21, 2004

  2. K M

    K M Guest

    xp home. Yes I did remove a $hit load of spyware 2 days ago...same day the
    connection went away! Hmmm...

    I have the cd's that came with the pc...the os is on the manufacture's cd
    (not a solo Microsoft cd)..How would you suggest that I make the tcp/ip
    repair?

    BTW...thanks for your generous comments and taking the time to help.

    Thanks!

    K M, Nov 21, 2004

  3. K M

    Thor Guest

    Thor, Nov 21, 2004
  4. K M

    Thor Guest

    open a command prompt window and type:

    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

    then press enter. You may not see much in the way of something happening,
    and it happens very fast. Close the command prompt window and reboot, then
    try your internet connection.

    Thor, Nov 21, 2004
  5. K M

    K M Guest

    Still not connecting. I can see a small amount of packets that are being
    sent..but none received.

    any other suggestions?

    Thanks!

    K M, Nov 21, 2004
  6. K M

    Duane Arnold Guest

    K M wrote:

    > Still not connecting. I can see a small amount of packets that are being
    > sent..but none received.
    >
    > any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!

    ..

    What IP is the computer getting from the router. If the computer is getting
    a 169. IP, then it's not getting an IP from the router period that's going
    to allow it to access the Internet. This may be due to some kind of
    mis-configurration, something may be defective or something on the machine
    like malware is preventing the machine from getting an IP from the router.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 21, 2004
  7. K M

    K M Guest

    yep it is a 169 #...any suggestions???

    Run spyware program?

    Kyle

    K M, Nov 21, 2004
  8. K M

    colin Guest

    Re-check the type of cable that you`ve got connected to your router...I
    believe it should be a cross-over type cable.

    colin, Nov 21, 2004
  9. K M

    Duane Arnold Guest

    K M wrote:

    > yep it is a 169 #...any suggestions???
    >
    > Run spyware program?

    Well, I would take the wire NIC out of the machine and swap it with one of
    the wireless machine to eliminate the router and the wire NIC as not having
    problems.

    Secondly, I would install a packet sniffer like Ethereal (free) in the
    machine that's having the problem and check the packest leaving the
    machine. It may help you spot something.

    As for the possible malware issue, I would use Process Explorer and look at
    what's running on the machine (programs) and what processes are using a
    running process to see if I could spot a malware program. PE can look
    inside a running process and help you locate it.

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    You may have to reset the TCP/IP Stack on the machine again so that the
    machine will release the 169. IP. BTW, the 169. IP will allow the machine
    to access other machines on the LAN, but the IP will not allow the machine
    to access the Internet, because the machine cannot get a IP form the DHCP
    server on the network -- the router. It should get the same kind of IP
    number range from the router that the other machines that can access the
    Internet are getting.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 21, 2004
  10. K M

    Thor Guest

    "colin" <> wrote in message
    > Re-check the type of cable that you`ve got connected to your router...I
    > believe it should be a cross-over type cable.

    Not typically from the PC to the router. It should typically be a
    straight-through cable just as you would use for a PC connection to a hub or
    switch, unless the crossover switch is enabled. Some have the switch, some
    have auto-sensing.

    Thor, Nov 21, 2004
  11. K M

    Trent© Guest

    ?

    > I thought that the problem was with the onboard nic that
    >is actually part of the motherboard. I bought and installed a new 3com nic,
    >installed the drivers and put a new cable between the nic and the
    >router...still no connection.

    Did you disable your on-board NIC? Did you go into ipconfig and
    release and renew? Did you turn off the router and reset it?

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 22, 2004