    I want anti-spam, anti-virus, firewall and privacy control. Just wonder what
    you would suggest.

    -tom
    Thomas Lees, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Thomas Lees

    Leythos Guest

    In article <crscik$bbv$>,
    says...
    > I am coming to the end of my subscription with Norton Security 2004. But
    > before I go buy the upgrade or otherwise, I want to know what I am using
    > really is the best?
    >
    > I went to http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe
    >
    > And noticed many ports were open, I am on a router btw.

    If you are on a NAT Router, like a Linksys or D-Link, and you have many
    ports open, the your router is not properly configured or the site you
    used is not legit. Routers (NAT appliances) do not have any open ports
    inbound to your computer by default.

    > I did the same scan on Mcafee Security and all was green for me. So what
    > would be best for me? Norton Security 2005 or Mcafee Security 2005. I even
    > noticed for a cheaper price ZoneAlarm do a full security package? What as
    > the general public, would you recommend?

    If you're router is properly configured and you're also running NAV (not
    the same as NIS) and using FireFox as your browser, then you could do
    away with NIS and just run NAV. NIS is a bloated mess that I don't like.
    You would be better served to run Norton Antivirus 2005 and ZoneAlarm.

    Fix your router, or check for open ports at grc.com
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    If your router passes with no open ports (do the COMMON PORTS option,
    they should all report STEALTH) then your router is setup properly - you
    did remember to change the default administrator password in the router,
    right?

    Once you have the router setup properly you can run Norton AV 2005 -
    which scans your email and your computer in real-time, and you can start
    using FireFox to allow better control of your browsing privacy while
    online.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Jan 9, 2005

  3. Thomas Lees

    Robsten Guest

    Thomas Lees skrev:
    > I am coming to the end of my subscription with Norton Security 2004. But
    > before I go buy the upgrade or otherwise, I want to know what I am using
    > really is the best?
    >
    > I went to http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe
    >
    > And noticed many ports were open, I am on a router btw.
    >
    > I did the same scan on Mcafee Security and all was green for me. So what
    > would be best for me? Norton Security 2005 or Mcafee Security 2005. I even
    > noticed for a cheaper price ZoneAlarm do a full security package? What as
    > the general public, would you recommend?
    >
    > I want anti-spam, anti-virus, firewall and privacy control. Just wonder what
    > you would suggest.
    >
    > -tom

    I think F-secure has a package, it,s far better than Norton, McAffe is
    better too. Norton sucks!

    --
    Robban Stenkvist
    http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/
    Robsten, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Thomas Lees

    sh4d03 Guest

    Robsten wrote:
    > Thomas Lees skrev:
    >
    >> I am coming to the end of my subscription with Norton Security 2004.
    >> But before I go buy the upgrade or otherwise, I want to know what I am
    >> using really is the best?
    >>
    >> I went to http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe
    >>
    >> And noticed many ports were open, I am on a router btw.
    >>
    >> I did the same scan on Mcafee Security and all was green for me. So
    >> what would be best for me? Norton Security 2005 or Mcafee Security
    >> 2005. I even noticed for a cheaper price ZoneAlarm do a full security
    >> package? What as the general public, would you recommend?
    >>
    >> I want anti-spam, anti-virus, firewall and privacy control. Just
    >> wonder what you would suggest.
    >>
    >> -tom
    >>

    > I think F-secure has a package, it,s far better than Norton, McAffe is
    > better too. Norton sucks!

    I'm sorry for people who hear me say this a lot but I totally agree with
    Tom on Norton. I don't know if there's a brown paper bag full of cash
    handed over to Computer magazines who do AV reviews, but Norton IMHO
    should NOT receive the high respect it does. I'm a computer technician
    who time after time will remove a completely updated, installed
    correctly and running correctly version of Norton AV or even NIS and
    install an Antivirus solution which we recommend (VET Anti-virus which
    is the Australian distribution by Computer Associates) and VET will
    instantly find about 10 viruses lurking on the computer that Norton was
    completely happy with. Norton Firewall - pfft. If it blocks anything I
    usually find it blocks EVERYTHING there's no happy medium. I'm not very
    used to McAffee's solution so can't really comment. All I can say is you
    MUST be better off with something other than Norton. I find Norton Ghost
    and Norton Disk Doctor to be fantastic applications. As far as the
    System Security etc Norton is about as effective as Solitaire.

    I'm personally a user of Firefox when using Windows (I prefer Linux/UNIX
    but am an unoffical Windows Technician). VET Anti-virus keeps me well
    out of trouble and I can find out if they ship to any other country
    (haven't checked to see where you're from). I use AdAware SE, SpyBot SD
    1.3 and SpySweeper to remove SpyWare and SpyWareBlaster to help prevent
    it from coming back again. I use Thunderbird for my Email and with some
    simple filters set up with Thunderbird 1.0 I have no trouble with SPAM.

    All in all, my work can see VET for $66 first up and then Computer
    Associates charge AUS$44 per 12 months to keep the application totally
    up to date - that means engine, program, signatures, patches - the works.

    AdAware SE 1.05 Personal is free

    SpySweeper I can't remember what the cost is but it's not too bad

    SpyBot SD 1.3 is free

    SpyWareBlaster is free

    Firefox is free

    Thunderbird is free.

    VET Antivirus does a sterling job of cleaning incoming Emails and is
    constantly doing background scans which are NOT as resource intensive as
    that of Norton, McAffee or ZoneAlarm.

    Long story short, IMHO steer well clear of NIS _AND_ NAV as neither are
    worth the effort.

    If you want more information on anything I've said please feel free to
    follow the instructions below _carefully_ to contact me.

    Best of luck,

    Sh4d03
    --
    If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at
    sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide
    sh4d03, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Thomas Lees

    sh4d03 Guest

    sh4d03 wrote:
> [...]

    > All in all, my work can see VET for $66 first up and then Computer
    > Associates charge AUS$44 per 12 months to keep the application totally
    > up to date - that means engine, program, signatures, patches - the works.
    >
    > AdAware SE 1.05 Personal is free
    >
    > SpySweeper I can't remember what the cost is but it's not too bad
    >
    > SpyBot SD 1.3 is free
    >
    > SpyWareBlaster is free
    >
    > Firefox is free
    >
    > Thunderbird is free.
    >
    > VET Antivirus does a sterling job of cleaning incoming Emails and is
    > constantly doing background scans which are NOT as resource intensive as
    > that of Norton, McAffee or ZoneAlarm.
    >
    > Long story short, IMHO steer well clear of NIS _AND_ NAV as neither are
    > worth the effort.
    >
    > If you want more information on anything I've said please feel free to
    > follow the instructions below _carefully_ to contact me.

    My apologies, I mis-read and it was infact Robsten who spoke the truth
    of Norton.

    Sh4d03

    sh4d03, Jan 10, 2005
  6. Thomas Lees

    srm Guest

    Thomas Lees wrote:

    > I am coming to the end of my subscription with Norton Security 2004. But
    > before I go buy the upgrade or otherwise, I want to know what I am using
    > really is the best?
    >
    > I went to http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe
    >
    > And noticed many ports were open, I am on a router btw.
    >
    > I did the same scan on Mcafee Security and all was green for me. So what
    > would be best for me? Norton Security 2005 or Mcafee Security 2005. I
    > even noticed for a cheaper price ZoneAlarm do a full security package?
    > What as the general public, would you recommend?
    >
    > I want anti-spam, anti-virus, firewall and privacy control. Just wonder
    > what you would suggest.

    For anti-virus, I'm using the free AVG package which seems to work well.
    Integrates properly with Thunderbird too.

    That said, this is a second line of defence as all incoming mail goes via a
    Linux machine which scans it with AntiVir.

    You should disable all unnecessary services in Windows (you'll find plenty
    of web sites, via Google, on how to do this). You should also make sure the
    router is properly configured so that it's not doing any unnecessary
    port-forwarding. Those two steps will provide the greatest level of
    security. Use Firefox instead of IE and Thunderbird instead out Outlook.
    Add AVG, ZoneAlarm and a decent spyware checker and you're good to go, at
    very little expense (none, if you choose a free spyware checker like
    Ad-Aware).

    --
    @+
    srm, Jan 10, 2005
  7. Thomas Lees

    Robsten Guest

    srm skrev:
    > Thomas Lees wrote:
    >

    > For anti-virus, I'm using the free AVG package which seems to work well.
    > Integrates properly with Thunderbird too.
    >
    > That said, this is a second line of defence as all incoming mail goes via a
    > Linux machine which scans it with AntiVir.
    >
    > You should disable all unnecessary services in Windows (you'll find plenty
    > of web sites, via Google, on how to do this). You should also make sure the
    > router is properly configured so that it's not doing any unnecessary
    > port-forwarding. Those two steps will provide the greatest level of
    > security. Use Firefox instead of IE and Thunderbird instead out Outlook.
    > Add AVG, ZoneAlarm and a decent spyware checker and you're good to go, at
    > very little expense (none, if you choose a free spyware checker like
    > Ad-Aware).

    Good speaking! But I prefer Antivir who becomes better and better all
    the time, I use Sygate as firewall, there are a free version I use the
    pro version.

    Robsten, Jan 10, 2005
  8. Thomas Lees

    lee Guest

    sh4d03 wrote:

    > My apologies, I mis-read and it was infact Robsten who spoke the truth
    > of Norton.
    >
    > Sh4d03

    What? That it sucks? If that was "truth", why did you feel the need to
    explain what he meant? At least you can communicate what it is you don't
    like about it.
    lee, Jan 10, 2005
  9. Thomas Lees

    srm Guest

    Robsten wrote:

    >> For anti-virus, I'm using the free AVG package which seems to work well.
    >> Integrates properly with Thunderbird too.
    >>
    >> That said, this is a second line of defence as all incoming mail goes via
    >> a Linux machine which scans it with AntiVir.
    >>
    >> You should disable all unnecessary services in Windows (you'll find
    >> plenty of web sites, via Google, on how to do this). You should also make
    >> sure the router is properly configured so that it's not doing any
    >> unnecessary port-forwarding. Those two steps will provide the greatest
    >> level of security. Use Firefox instead of IE and Thunderbird instead out
    >> Outlook. Add AVG, ZoneAlarm and a decent spyware checker and you're good
    >> to go, at very little expense (none, if you choose a free spyware checker
    >> like Ad-Aware).
    >>

    > Good speaking! But I prefer Antivir who becomes better and better all
    > the time, I use Sygate as firewall, there are a free version I use the
    > pro version.

    Yeah, but as I mentioned, I'm using AntiVir on the Linux server (updated
    nightly). It's acting as a POP server for the Windows box. I like the idea
    of using two different packages in the hope that one might catch something
    that the other misses. As it happens, AntiVir seems to be catching the lot,
    which is just as well. Since my wife became the editor of a popular web
    site, we're getting a *lot* of virus-bearing mails - up to 200 a day
    sometimes.

    --
    @+
    srm, Jan 10, 2005
  10. Thomas Lees

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <>, srm <>
    wrote:
    ...snip...

    >You should disable all unnecessary services in Windows (you'll find plenty
    >of web sites, via Google, on how to do this).

    ...snip...

    Yes, there are many sites on services, but there is only ONE that
    is truly AUTHORITATIVE:

    http://www.blackviper.com/

    Everything else pales by comparison.

    Regards,
    nemo outis, Jan 11, 2005
  11. Thomas Lees

    sh4d03 Guest

    <snip>

    At least you can communicate what it is you don't
    like about it.

    Did you try reading my first post in this thread?

    Sh4d03

    sh4d03, Jan 11, 2005