Internet Camera

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Gingangooli, Dec 27, 2004.

  1. Gingangooli

    Gingangooli Guest

    I got a Linksys WVC54G Internet camera for Christmas... the blurb says
    it has a built in web-server and so can be accessed via the Internet
    remotely. It is wirelessly connected to my Linksys WRT54G router using DHCP.

    Now... assuming that I do NOT allow the IP address assigned to the
    camera to change, then is it REALLY going to be accessible via the
    Internet. The IP address assigned by the router is a common one and so
    it not unique (in my opinion) in regard to the WWW i.e. if I type in
    192.168.1.xxx remotely this surely cannot be unique and let a remote
    user access MY camera?

    To me the 192.168.1.xxx range of addresses a purely my INTERNAL
    addresses, irrelevant to the outside world, the only address the world
    would have a chance of seeing/pinging/accessing would be the routers
    address, right?

    The only other way is to pay an amount to Sololink which provides a
    unique domain name...which costs, and as I am trialling it, it doesnt
    work, even though I have port forwarding set up.

    So, have I been conned, IS there a way to access my camera remotely on
    the Internet without using DDNS?

    TIA

    Gingangooli, Dec 27, 2004

  2. yes, I had this exact problem few month ago with the same setup WRT54GS WIFI
    + WVC54G and I host my owh website so here's what I did to get access to it
    via internet.

    Your router have an IP static or dynamic depending on your ISP.

    When you access your camera, normally you have that local URL
    http://192.168.1.115/img/image.cgi?next_file=main_fs.htm

    If like me you don't want to pay up for their SOLO service, then replace
    192.168.1.115 with your external IP and it will work.

    On my website, I simply made a button with an hyperlink to that external URL
    and I can access the camera from around the world. It's free and it works.

    news: ...

    Junkyard Engineer, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Gingangooli

    Gingangooli Guest

    Wow....thank you for the swift reply. My broadband ISP uses a static IP
    currently (I think). But am I reading it wrong, or is the secret to your
    sucess regarding this problem, the fact that you host/have a website,
    therefore you have that unique link (i.e. a website URL) to allow access
    to your camera.

    I dont have a website and so no URL, but I think what you are saying is
    the IP I need to insert to the URL string you suggest would be the IP
    address of the Set-Top-Box (that box which my cable company provided and
    is a combination cable modem/cable TV box).

    Sorry if I sound "thick" but I am not into networking, however it is
    amazing how much I learn with this trial by fire.

    regards

    Gingangooli, Dec 27, 2004
  4. First, you need to assign your camera a fixed IP address in the subnet. I
    think the WRT54G defaults to handing out IP addresses above 192.168.1.100 so
    assign your camera an IP address below that (e.g. 192.168.1.50).

    Next, you need to set up port forwarding so that all connections from the
    outside world to a particular port on your router go to that camera. The
    instructions for the camera should state which port the camera needs. It
    may default to 80 (standard web server port) so you may want to configure
    the WRT54G to forward port 80 to the IP address of your camera (e.g.
    192.168.1.50).

    If your camera defaults to running its web server on port 80, you may want
    to change that to something else if you plan on running your own web server
    or do not want your camera easily accessible to others (is there some sort
    of password protection?). You connect to ports other than 80 using a URL
    like http://192.168.1.50:123 where the number after the colon is the port of
    your camera. If you have properly set up port forwarding (in this case,
    port 123) then the camera should also be reachable from the internet by
    using the ISP-assigned IP address of the router in the URL instead along
    with the port.

    Finally, if your ISP-assigned IP address changes from time to time, you may
    need to subscribe to a dynamic DNS service. The WRT54G can be configured
    for this. Basically, this allows you and others to find your router
    regardless of what IP address it is currently assigned.

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Dec 27, 2004
  5. Gingangooli

    Gingangooli Guest

    All sorted guys...I think. Thank You. I needed to input the IP of my
    cable modem plus the port number I used in port forwarding for the
    cameras IP...and it now works ..I think.

    Please give it a try and report back (got to set up focus yet :-/ )

    http://213.106.82.133:1025
    user: pennine
    pw: hills

    Thanks all.

    Gingangooli, Dec 27, 2004
  6. Gingangooli

    Gingangooli Guest

    Whoops.. limitations of 4 users max does not make a good combination
    when you give your URL to the world. I cant access my own cam now. So
    ...sorry I have got to disable this "global" access :-(

    Gingangooli, Dec 27, 2004
  7. Gingangooli

    Sooner Al Guest

    You might look at using a dynamic naming service like No-IP.com (FREE) that maps a fully qualified
    domain name to your ISP assigned IP address. I use that to connect remotely to my home LAN for VPN
    or Remote Desktop access.

    http://www.no-ip.com

    ....for details...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Dec 27, 2004
  8. Gingangooli

    Gingangooli Guest

    Sooner Al wrote:
    > You might look at using a dynamic naming service like No-IP.com (FREE)
    > that maps a fully qualified domain name to your ISP assigned IP address.
    > I use that to connect remotely to my home LAN for VPN or Remote Desktop
    > access.
    >
    > http://www.no-ip.com
    >
    > ...for details...

    Ahhh... cheers.. I will have a read.
    Gingangooli, Dec 27, 2004
  9. Gingangooli

    mikeFNB Guest

    while you are on the subject, you do have a web URL.
    you must be on NTL ?? if you are using a STB?

    then all you need is your original username & passsword.

    see the NTLworld site for website/ftp help

    mike

    "Sooner Al" <> wrote in message
    > You might look at using a dynamic naming service like No-IP.com (FREE)

    that maps a fully qualified
    > domain name to your ISP assigned IP address. I use that to connect

    remotely to my home LAN for VPN
    > or Remote Desktop access.
    >
    > http://www.no-ip.com
    >
    > ...for details...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...

    rights...

    mikeFNB, Dec 27, 2004
  10. I have hooked up the internet camera to my pc using a cross cable. I have
    assigned private addresses to the pc and the camera. All of it works fine on
    the Local Area Network but how can I make it accessible to the internet?
    Firewall disabled and am trying to open seperate ports for the camera. Also
    have tried to access the camera using the IP address assigned by my ISP with
    the specified open port. But when I type in the IP, it does ask for a user
    name and password but does not log in.

    =?Utf-8?B?c2hhaGJheg==?=, Jan 21, 2005