    internet cafe will most likely be in Bondi Junction.

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Miguel

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <> wrote:

    >Hi all...Will be needing to use an internet cafe to do some online
    >banking. Never been into one before cos of all the bad security stories.
    >
    >I'm assuming that I wander into the cafe, pay my money, plug my laptop
    >into an RJ-45 and start surfing. My laptop runs Ubuntu Feisty and my
    >browser is FF.
    >
    >Can someone give me pointers as to where the security risks are. The
    >internet cafe will most likely be in Bondi Junction.
    >
    >Regards
    >Miguel

    This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?

    I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?

    Greg House, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Miguel

    Alan Guest

    Hi Miguel,

    Generically, and probably not comprehensively:

    - Firewall to stop any unsolicited intrusions into your laptop

    - End to end SSL encryption (any bank site would do that by default
    anyway I would hope!)

    - Verification of the site certificate chain to ensure you are not
    subjected to a 'man in the middle' attack or redirection.

    If you do that, then nothing gets onto your machine unless you allow
    it. You will have authenticated the end point (your banks website),
    and all communication between your browser and their website will be
    encrypted so it cannot be compromised.

    Others may offer a better or more complete answer!

    HTH,

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Miguel

    thingy Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > Hi all...Will be needing to use an internet cafe to do some online
    > banking. Never been into one before cos of all the bad security stories.
    >
    > I'm assuming that I wander into the cafe, pay my money, plug my laptop
    > into an RJ-45 and start surfing. My laptop runs Ubuntu Feisty and my
    > browser is FF.
    >
    > Can someone give me pointers as to where the security risks are. The
    > internet cafe will most likely be in Bondi Junction.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    The risks are key loggers etc on the cafe's hardware....if they allow
    you to run your own laptop I would think you pretty much safe...but when
    I went to cook islands they would not allow that...so I avoided anything
    critical...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 21, 2007
  5. Miguel

    Alan Guest

    Absolutely - there is *no way* you can be *sure* you can trust anyone
    else's computer.

    Alan, Aug 21, 2007
  6. Miguel

    Kent Smith Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > Hi all...Will be needing to use an internet cafe to do some online
    > banking. Never been into one before cos of all the bad security
    > stories.
    >
    > I'm assuming that I wander into the cafe, pay my money, plug my laptop
    > into an RJ-45 and start surfing. My laptop runs Ubuntu Feisty and my
    > browser is FF.
    >
    > Can someone give me pointers as to where the security risks are. The
    > internet cafe will most likely be in Bondi Junction.

    Less risk if you're using your own laptop - the big risk with the cafes is
    the you cannot guarantee the integrity of their machines. A user or
    employee could have either on purpose or accidentally via a trojan,
    installed a keylogger.

    Best use 2 factor id if you bank offers it - e.g they send you a txt message
    to verify.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Aug 22, 2007
  7. Miguel

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 22, 11:01 am, "Kent Smith" <>
    wrote:
    > Miguel wrote:
    > > Hi all...Will be needing to use an internet cafe to do some online
    > > banking. Never been into one before cos of all the bad security
    > > stories.

    > > I'm assuming that I wander into the cafe, pay my money, plug my laptop
    > > into an RJ-45 and start surfing. My laptop runs Ubuntu Feisty and my
    > > browser is FF.

    > > Can someone give me pointers as to where the security risks are. The
    > > internet cafe will most likely be in Bondi Junction.

    > Less risk if you're using your own laptop - the big risk with the cafes is
    > the you cannot guarantee the integrity of their machines. A user or
    > employee could have either on purpose or accidentally via a trojan,
    > installed a keylogger.
    >
    > Best use 2 factor id if you bank offers it - e.g they send you a txt message
    > to verify.
    >
    > -KENT

    BNZ have an option of a second level password lookup using a card
    which means no 2 logons use the same authentication string. That
    should help prevent account theft by keyloggers.

    JohnO, Aug 22, 2007
  8. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    <ghouse wrote:

    >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel

    <>
    >> wrote:

    >>Hi all...Will be needing to use an internet cafe to do some online
    >>banking. Never been into one before cos of all the bad security stories.
    >>
    >>I'm assuming that I wander into the cafe, pay my money, plug my laptop
    >>into an RJ-45 and start surfing. My laptop runs Ubuntu Feisty and my
    >>browser is FF.
    >>
    >>Can someone give me pointers as to where the security risks are. The
    >>internet cafe will most likely be in Bondi Junction.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Miguel

    > This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?
    >

    > I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?

    The reason I posted to nz.comp is because I'm a fairly regular poster to
    this group and I'm well aware of which posters give helpful and reliable
    advice and which posters are total dickheads.

    Miguel

    Miguel, Aug 22, 2007
  9. Miguel

    Allistar Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    > Hi all...Will be needing to use an internet cafe to do some online
    > banking. Never been into one before cos of all the bad security stories.
    >
    > I'm assuming that I wander into the cafe, pay my money, plug my laptop
    > into an RJ-45 and start surfing. My laptop runs Ubuntu Feisty and my
    > browser is FF.
    >
    > Can someone give me pointers as to where the security risks are. The
    > internet cafe will most likely be in Bondi Junction.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Depending on how tech savvy you are I'd block all incoming ports and do
    everything through an ssh tunnel to a computer you trust.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 22, 2007
  10. Miguel

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 22, 12:08 pm, Miguel <> wrote:
    > >On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:10:41 +1200, Greg House

    > <ghouse wrote:
    > >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel

    > <>
    >

    > >> wrote:

    > >>Hi all...Will be needing to use an internet cafe to do some online
    > >>banking. Never been into one before cos of all the bad security stories.

    > >>I'm assuming that I wander into the cafe, pay my money, plug my laptop
    > >>into an RJ-45 and start surfing. My laptop runs Ubuntu Feisty and my
    > >>browser is FF.

    > >>Can someone give me pointers as to where the security risks are. The
    > >>internet cafe will most likely be in Bondi Junction.

    > >>Regards
    > >>Miguel

    > > This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?

    > > I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?

    > The reason I posted to nz.comp is because I'm a fairly regular poster to
    > this group and I'm well aware of which posters give helpful and reliable
    > advice and which posters are total dickheads.
    >
    > Miguel- Hide quoted text -

    No prizes for guessing which category Woger falls into.

    JohnO, Aug 22, 2007
  11. Miguel

    peterwn Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <> wrote:

    > This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?
    >

    > I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?

    Who says? It is supposed to be internet banking, not Micro$oftnet
    banking. BNZ, Kiwibank and Macquarie (Oz) all work fine with the Gnome
    browser under Linux. And I bet there have been proportionately far
    fewer internet banking fraud cases on Linux systems than Windows systems.

    peterwn, Aug 22, 2007
  12. Miguel

    Greg House Guest

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:23:42 +1200, peterwn <> wrote:

    >Greg House wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <> wrote:

    >> This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?
    >>

    >> I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?
    >>

    >Who says? It is supposed to be internet banking, not Micro$oftnet
    >banking. BNZ, Kiwibank and Macquarie (Oz) all work fine with the Gnome
    >browser under Linux. And I bet there have been proportionately far
    >fewer internet banking fraud cases on Linux systems than Windows systems.

    Only because Lunix is very little Used, Totally useless for the masses.

    Greg House, Aug 22, 2007
  13. In article <46cbba47$>, peterwn <> wrote:
    >Greg House wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <>

    > wrote:
    >
    >> This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?
    >> I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?
    >>

    >Who says? It is supposed to be internet banking, not Micro$oftnet
    >banking. BNZ, Kiwibank and Macquarie (Oz) all work fine with the Gnome
    >browser under Linux. And I bet there have been proportionately far
    >fewer internet banking fraud cases on Linux systems than Windows systems.

    There are very few websites that don't work with a non ie browser. Banks are
    no more or less likely to work (or not) than others I think :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 22, 2007
  14. Miguel

    peterwn Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:23:42 +1200, peterwn <> wrote:
    >
    >> Greg House wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <> wrote:
    >>> This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?
    >>>

    >>> I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?
    >>>

    >> Who says? It is supposed to be internet banking, not Micro$oftnet http://www.stuff.co.nz/4174http://www.stuff.co.nz/4174116a11.html116a11.html
    >> banking. BNZ, Kiwibank and Macquarie (Oz) all work fine with the Gnome
    >> browser under Linux. And I bet there have been proportionately far
    >> fewer internet banking fraud cases on Linux systems than Windows systems.

    > Only because Lunix is very little Used, Totally useless for the masses.

    I have not heard of Lunix. This is probably why the banks do not
    support it and that it is very little used (but as far as I know it is
    not used at all). I agree that Lunix is totally useless for the masses,
    it is merely another piece of Micro$oft vapourware, and is but a figment
    of the imagination in any case.

    peterwn, Aug 22, 2007
  15. Miguel

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <fafm1o$toh$>, Miguel <>
    wrote:

    > Hi all...Will be needing to use an internet cafe to do some online
    > banking. Never been into one before cos of all the bad security stories.
    >
    > I'm assuming that I wander into the cafe, pay my money, plug my laptop
    > into an RJ-45 and start surfing. My laptop runs Ubuntu Feisty and my
    > browser is FF.
    >
    > Can someone give me pointers as to where the security risks are. The
    > internet cafe will most likely be in Bondi Junction.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    You can not use you own computer, you will need to use theirs, THAT is
    the risk.
    They do this in order to "protect" their network from any viruses etc
    that may be on your computer.

    whoisthis, Aug 22, 2007
  16. Miguel

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message > Only because Lunix
    is very little Used, Totally useless for the masses.

    Troll alert....

    Tony in Oz, Aug 22, 2007
  17. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    >On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:05:05 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
    >
    > You can not use you own computer, you will need to use theirs, THAT is
    > the risk.
    > They do this in order to "protect" their network from any viruses etc
    > that may be on your computer.

    What's the "Laptop connection points" in the following.

    <snip>
    Surfnet Internet Cafe
    Level 1, 54 Spring Street, Bondi Junction, NSW 2022

    $2.50 p/h

    MS Word, Resumes, Typing, CD/DVD Burn. Movie Conversion.
    Laptop connection points
    Job info, Maps etc.
    </snip>

    I read that as meaning I can wander in with my laptop and connect it.
    what does it actually mean?

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Aug 22, 2007
  18. Miguel

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <fagofg$h6a$>, Miguel <>
    wrote:

    > >On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:05:05 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
    > >
    > > You can not use you own computer, you will need to use theirs, THAT is
    > > the risk.
    > > They do this in order to "protect" their network from any viruses etc
    > > that may be on your computer.

    > What's the "Laptop connection points" in the following.
    >
    > <snip>
    > Surfnet Internet Cafe
    > Level 1, 54 Spring Street, Bondi Junction, NSW 2022
    >
    > $2.50 p/h
    >
    > MS Word, Resumes, Typing, CD/DVD Burn. Movie Conversion.
    > Laptop connection points
    > Job info, Maps etc.
    > </snip>
    >
    > I read that as meaning I can wander in with my laptop and connect it.
    > what does it actually mean?
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Then they may supply that, but I now just seek those that have wireless
    networks so I know I can use my own computer.

    whoisthis, Aug 22, 2007
  19. Miguel

    Murray Symon Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > Greg House wrote:
    >> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:23:42 +1200, peterwn <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Who says? It is supposed to be internet banking, not Micro$oftnet

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4174http://www.stuff.co.nz/4174116a11.html116a11.html
    >>> banking. BNZ, Kiwibank and Macquarie (Oz) all work fine with the Gnome
    >>> browser under Linux. And I bet there have been proportionately far
    >>> fewer internet banking fraud cases on Linux systems than Windows
    >>> systems.

    >> Only because Lunix is very little Used, Totally useless for the masses.
    >>

    > I have not heard of Lunix. This is probably why the banks do not
    > support it and that it is very little used (but as far as I know it is
    > not used at all). I agree that Lunix is totally useless for the masses,
    > it is merely another piece of Micro$oft vapourware, and is but a figment
    > of the imagination in any case.

    It exists, but not from Microsoft..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LUnix
    http://hld.c64.org/poldi/lunix/lunix.html

    Murray ;-)

    Murray Symon, Aug 22, 2007
  20. Miguel

    Shane Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    >>On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:05:05 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
    >>
    >> You can not use you own computer, you will need to use theirs, THAT is
    >> the risk.
    >> They do this in order to "protect" their network from any viruses etc
    >> that may be on your computer.

    > What's the "Laptop connection points" in the following.
    >
    > <snip>
    > Surfnet Internet Cafe
    > Level 1, 54 Spring Street, Bondi Junction, NSW 2022
    >
    > $2.50 p/h
    >
    > MS Word, Resumes, Typing, CD/DVD Burn. Movie Conversion.
    > Laptop connection points
    > Job info, Maps etc.
    > </snip>
    >
    > I read that as meaning I can wander in with my laptop and connect it.
    > what does it actually mean?
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    To be absolutely sure I would recommend that you email them and find out.

    As for your OP the banking sites are _supposed_ to be secure over a network,
    and in theory MITM attacks are difficult if not impossible.
    The only real risk is that the DNS of cafe _could_ trick you into visiting a
    site that appears to be your intarweb banking and snatch your credentials.
    A very very well made example of that would not be detectable.
    Its your money, be as paranoid as you think is proper.
    --
    Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a

    Shane, Aug 22, 2007