    but not prohibitive either. Would be interested to know where I can go to
    get some feedback on the 3 or 4 providers of such services. Checked one
    newsgroup but it was not too active - largely was a repository of adverts.
    Dave, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Dave

    Albert Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:33:12 GMT, "Dave" <>
    wrote:

    The two biggies are Direcway ( from (Hughes)Direct TV) and Starband
    (from Dish Network).

    Both companies require you to purchase the equipment. Retail $500 to
    $600 USD. With Starband you can buy a system for $100 and pay $100 a
    month for the first year, $60/mo second year and $50/mo third year.
    (Rounded from $99.96 etc.) Direcway has a similar program with $99.95
    for 15 months.

    Check out Starband at http:www.starband.com

    For info on Direcway goto http://hns.getdway.com/

    Starband runs about $49.95 and Direcway can run up to $99.95 per
    month.

    FCC requirements are that either must be installed by a certified
    technician since mis-aligning the transmitter can screw up the
    satellites.

    Neither is mobile (as in Recreation Vehicle use) unless you have a
    Inet or Motosat system. These are in the $5000 to $6000 price range.
    Some folks are using the systems illegally on RV's. Starband has a
    pilot program where an RV owner can become a certified installer (like
    me, I am on Starband and in a 5th wheel. I have full highspeed
    wherever I go. Starband won't tell up about it on their site)

    Upload speed for satellite is about the same as a 56K modem. Download
    is up to 10 times faster than dial-up. (average is about 50kbs up and
    500kbs down)

    Other options are WiFi wireless networks which require you to be in a
    hot spot to use. This is not an option for a homeowner or someone in a
    rural area.

    Companies like SPRINT and VERIZON offer wireless internet via cell
    phone connections. This is painfully slow and expensive if you use up
    your minutes.

    Bottom line: I have seen all of them in use. Starband and Direcway are
    the best. Forget the rest.

    Albert, Nov 24, 2004

  3. In article <> Albert <> wrote:

    >The two biggies are Direcway ( from (Hughes)Direct TV) and Starband
    >(from Dish Network).

    Hygiene is two thirds of health.

    >Both companies require you to purchase the equipment. Retail $500 to
    >$600 USD. With Starband you can buy a system for $100 and pay $100 a
    >month for the first year, $60/mo second year and $50/mo third year.
    >(Rounded from $99.96 etc.) Direcway has a similar program with $99.95
    >for 15 months.

    You are not very firm on that.

    >Starband runs about $49.95 and Direcway can run up to $99.95 per
    >month.

    >FCC requi

    A monkey never thinks her baby's ugly.

    >Neither is mobile (as in Recreation Vehicle use) unless you have a
    >Inet or Motosat system. These are in the $5000 to $6000 price range.
    >Some folks are using the systems illegally on RV's. Starband has a
    >pilot program where an RV owner can become a certified installer (like
    >me, I am on Starband and in a 5th wheel. I have full highspeed
    >wherever I go. Starband won't tell up about it on their site)

    Why do you think you are on starband and in a 5th wheel?

    >Upload spe

    Are you certain that is the real reason?

    >Other options are WiFi wireless networks which require you to be in a
    >hot spot to use. This is not an option for a homeowner or someone in a
    >rural area.

    He that plants thorns must never expect to gather roses.

    >Companies like SPRINT and VERIZON offer wireless internet via cell
    >phone connections. This is painfully slow and expensive if you use up
    >your minutes.

    Evil enters like a needle and spreads like an oak tree.

    >Bottom line: I have seen all of them in use. Starband and Direcway are
    >the best. Forget the rest.

    Even a small thorn causes festering.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Second Admission that Lady Chatterly kicked your ass noted, Kenny
    Kakes." -- Daedalus
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Dave

    WormWood Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >I have done some web searches and seen that their are, in the US,
    >providers of internet access by satellite, for those users in rural
    >areas. Not cheap, but not prohibitive either. Would be interested to
    >know where I can go to get some feedback on the 3 or 4 providers of
    >such services. Checked one newsgroup but it was not too active -
    >largely was a repository of adverts.

    Dave's not here
    WormWood, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Dave

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Albert" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:33:12 GMT, "Dave" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > The two biggies are Direcway ( from (Hughes)Direct TV) and Starband
    > (from Dish Network).

    earthlink satellite $69.99/mo if you already own your equipment
    latency (ping) is around 1 second. one year contract.

    > Both companies require you to purchase the equipment. Retail $500 to
    > $600 USD. With Starband you can buy a system for $100 and pay $100 a
    > month for the first year, $60/mo second year and $50/mo third year.
    > (Rounded from $99.96 etc.) Direcway has a similar program with $99.95
    > for 15 months.

    cell phone data service is $70/mo unlimited, 3x faster than dialup. not sure
    about the latency.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Nov 24, 2004
  6. In article <F%0pd.10544$> 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:

    >"Albert" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:33:12 GMT, "Dave" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> The two biggies are Direcway ( from (Hughes)Direct TV) and Starband
    >> (from Dish Network).

    >earthlink satellite $69.99/mo if you already own your equipment
    >latency (ping) is around 1 second. one year contract.

    I wonder if Tipler and Kerr are in thins worldine?

    >> Both companies require you to purchase the equipment. Retail $500 to
    >> $600 USD. With Starband you can buy a system for $100 and pay $100 a
    >> month for the first year, $60/mo second year and $50/mo third year.
    >> (Rounded from $99.96 etc.) Direcway has a similar program with $99.95
    >> for 15 months.
    >>

    >cell phone data service is $70/mo unlimited, 3x faster than dialup. not sure
    >about the latency.

    A cynic is a person who knows the price of everything and the value of
    nothing.

    >-a|ex

    Are you positive?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "bahahahaaaaa ... gawd, i hope the phantom botrunner appreciated that
    one" -- Vampi Fangs
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 24, 2004
  7. Dave

    greyhawkmud Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message news:<s2Vod.9$>...
    > I have done some web searches and seen that their are, in the US, providers
    > of internet access by satellite, for those users in rural areas. Not cheap,
    > but not prohibitive either. Would be interested to know where I can go to
    > get some feedback on the 3 or 4 providers of such services. Checked one
    > newsgroup but it was not too active - largely was a repository of adverts.

    Satellite internet might be ok, if you "gotta have" broadband and nothing else
    local... Lots of rural areas have started to use something like radio internet,
    which they claim is close to dsl speeds. Radio internet probably has alot less
    problems with latency compared to satellite internet (alot shorter trip on
    signals lol). Although this tech is very similar cell phone tech, what I'm
    talking about isn't going thru / using cell phones. Prices usually similar to
    satellite. (The operation local to me calls it "wireless internet", but its
    not mobile like a cell phones and has a fixed antenna that might remind you
    of a TV satellite dish.)
    greyhawkmud, Nov 24, 2004
  8. In article <> (greyhawkmud) wrote:

    >"Dave" <> wrote in message news:<s2Vod.9$>...
    >> I have done some web searches and seen that their are, in the US, providers
    >> of internet access by satellite, for those users in rural areas. Not cheap,
    >> but not prohibitive either. Would be interested to know where I can go to
    >> get some feedback on the 3 or 4 providers of such services. Checked one
    >> newsgroup but it was not too active - largely was a repository of adverts.

    >Satellite internet might be ok, if you "gotta have" broadband and nothing else
    >local... Lots of rural areas have started to use something like radio internet,
    >which they claim is close to dsl speeds. Radio internet probably has alot less
    >problems with latency compared to satellite internet (alot shorter trip on
    >signals lol). Although this tech is very similar cell phone tech, what I'm
    >talking about isn't going thru / using cell phones. Prices usually similar to
    >satellite. (The operation local to me calls it "wireless internet", but its
    >not mobile like a cell phones and has a fixed antenna that might remind you
    >of a TV satellite dish.)

    I am sure you are talking about is not going thru using cell phones.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "don't flatter yourself. the CPU time you were allocated is a tiny
    fraction of what it spend on following ladies: 1) lady chatterly 2)
    alexa 3) roofuck" -- yyyiiinnnggg
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 25, 2004
  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I appreciate the feedback I've received here; I'll have to wait until I get
    there in a couple months to make the final determination. A search in Yahoo
    shows there are local reps for the satellite ISPs that were listed in one of
    the postings.

    Dave, Nov 25, 2004
  10. Dave

    Klaus Gerber Guest

    It's ok as a last resort, the latentcy is a big problem. Surfing a
    website with a fast connection would seem slow after one clicks on a
    link waits for the request to uplink - process - downlink and decode.
    The entire process could take as little as a second or two upto 10
    seconds depending on where the request is coming/going. I would
    strongly suggest other means to connect to the internet. Do forget
    your sending your request 47000 miles in total before the process is
    complete (23500 each way)

    Buffering would be an issue with many sites.

    Try http://www.world-radio.net

    Klaus Gerber, Nov 25, 2004
  11. greyhawkmud wrote:
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message news:<s2Vod.9$>...
    >
    >>I have done some web searches and seen that their are, in the US, providers
    >>of internet access by satellite, for those users in rural areas. Not cheap,
    >>but not prohibitive either. Would be interested to know where I can go to
    >>get some feedback on the 3 or 4 providers of such services. Checked one
    >>newsgroup but it was not too active - largely was a repository of adverts.

    > Satellite internet might be ok, if you "gotta have" broadband and nothing else
    > local... Lots of rural areas have started to use something like radio internet,
    > which they claim is close to dsl speeds. Radio internet probably has alot less
    > problems with latency compared to satellite internet (alot shorter trip on
    > signals lol). Although this tech is very similar cell phone tech, what I'm
    > talking about isn't going thru / using cell phones. Prices usually similar to
    > satellite. (The operation local to me calls it "wireless internet", but its
    > not mobile like a cell phones and has a fixed antenna that might remind you
    > of a TV satellite dish.)

    Just to clarify a little on wireless ISPs (WISPs), they can be not only
    as fast but can easily be faster than DSL or cable, depends mostly on
    the WISP's pipe to the net and equipment used. Latency also can be
    extremely low, not merely faster than satellite (hell, everything is
    faster than satellite's ping times) but faster than DSL or cable too.
    Prices vary from market to market but should be competitive with other
    broadband choices.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 25, 2004