    having their bank accounts cleaned out, not through their own fault or
    actions, but through someone accessing their internet accounts. Does anyone
    have any experience or comments about this?

    Fred, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Fred

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > There have been several news items on radio recently reporting victims
    > having their bank accounts cleaned out, not through their own fault or
    > actions, but through someone accessing their internet accounts. Does
    > anyone have any experience or comments about this?

    The reason that most of these incidents happen is because the user did not
    follow elementary 'Safe Hex' practices - and used poor passwords, forgot to
    update their AV, didn't run anti-spyware programs, and/or clicked on unsafe
    links and installed crapware on their computer. There are vanishingly few
    cases where the bank's end has been at fault (but they do exist).

    Internet banking is as safe as high-street banking - would you walk down the
    high-street counting a large wad of notes?
    (Internet shopping is actually safer than high-street shopping, if you use
    the same shops - at least you won't get some oick behind the counter copying
    your card numbers to a scanner!)

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Fred

    Wulf Guest

    To: Fred
    > From Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    > There have been several news items on radio recently reporting victims
    > having their bank accounts cleaned out, not through their own fault or
    > actions, but through someone accessing their internet accounts. Does anyone
    > have any experience or comments about this?
    >

    > --- Synchronet 3.12a-Win32 NewsLink 1.76

    1. Always update your anti-virus, anti-trojan, and anti-spyware software every day. Scan and remove all infections.
    2. Use a SECURE browser (like mozilla or firefox) when you are accessing important things.

    Hope this helps, Reguards.
    --- Synchronet 3.12a-Win32 NewsLink 1.76
    Wulfzden BBS // http://wulfzden.homeip.net / telnet://wulfzden.homeip.net

    Wulf, Jan 6, 2005
  4. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
    06 Jan 2005 22:02:59 GMT, "Wulf"
    <-ath-this> screamed from behind the
    mulberry bush:

    > To: Fred
    > > From Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > >
    > > There have been several news items on radio recently reporting victims
    > > having their bank accounts cleaned out, not through their own fault or
    > > actions, but through someone accessing their internet accounts. Does anyone
    > > have any experience or comments about this?
    > >

    > > --- Synchronet 3.12a-Win32 NewsLink 1.76

    >1. Always update your anti-virus, anti-trojan, and anti-spyware software every day. Scan and remove all infections.
    >2. Use a SECURE browser (like mozilla or firefox) when you are accessing important things.

    That's all well and good unless you're one of those certified fuckwits
    who have been conned into revealing your username and password by a
    phishing scam.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jan 6, 2005
  5. Fred

    Richard Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:18:57 +1300 Fred wrote:

    > There have been several news items on radio recently reporting victims
    > having their bank accounts cleaned out, not through their own fault or
    > actions, but through someone accessing their internet accounts. Does
    > anyone
    > have any experience or comments about this?

    Don't do your banking online.

    Richard, Jan 6, 2005
  6. On 06 Jan 2005, Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor scribbled in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on
    > Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:02:59 GMT, "Wulf"
    > <-ath-this> screamed from behind
    > the mulberry bush:
    >
    >> To: Fred
    >> > From Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> >
    >> > There have been several news items on radio recently reporting
    >> > victims having their bank accounts cleaned out, not through
    >> > their own fault or actions, but through someone accessing their
    >> > internet accounts. Does anyone have any experience or comments
    >> > about this?
    >> >

    >> > --- Synchronet 3.12a-Win32 NewsLink 1.76

    >>1. Always update your anti-virus, anti-trojan, and anti-spyware
    >>software every day. Scan and remove all infections. 2. Use a
    >>SECURE browser (like mozilla or firefox) when you are accessing
    >>important things.

    > That's all well and good unless you're one of those certified
    > fuckwits who have been conned into revealing your username and
    > password by a phishing scam.

    I just checked one of my spam-traps this AM, and there were 13 phishing
    emails purporting to be from various banks/financial institutions, none
    of which I have an account with. If only people would learn to take a
    quick glance at the headers of many of these emails, they might, just
    might, become suspicious when they see things like China as the country
    of origin.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    You know what I like best about the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Sixty-

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 6, 2005
  7. Fred

    foxychick Guest

    > On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:18:57 +1300 Fred wrote:
    >
    >> There have been several news items on radio recently reporting victims
    >> having their bank accounts cleaned out, not through their own fault or
    >> actions, but through someone accessing their internet accounts. Does
    >> anyone
    >> have any experience or comments about this?

    > Don't do your banking online.

    I use two seperate accounts. One acount has a minimal amount of money in it
    and is used for online shopping only and is tied into its own debit card.
    The other account is my main account and that one never gets used online.

    foxychick, Jan 7, 2005
  8. The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > I just checked one of my spam-traps this AM, and there were 13 phishing
    > emails purporting to be from various banks/financial institutions, none
    > of which I have an account with. If only people would learn to take a
    > quick glance at the headers of many of these emails, they might, just
    > might, become suspicious when they see things like China as the country
    > of origin.

    I finally got one from a bank with which I *do* do business, maybe three
    weeks ago. I was really surprised. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  9. Fred

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in news::

    > There have been several news items on radio recently reporting victims
    > having their bank accounts cleaned out, not through their own fault or
    > actions, but through someone accessing their internet accounts. Does
    > anyone have any experience or comments about this?

    I use Internet banking all the time with IE and Firefox. I have been doing
    it since 2001 being that my bank is out of state. One just has to protect
    one's self and not let malware reach the machine with happy fingers that
    click on and open unknown things that lead to the compromise. I heard of
    one person who did their Internet banking at the job one day and was
    cleaned out as the machine was compromised with a key logger.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 7, 2005
  10. Fred

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Fred says...
    > There have been several news items on radio recently reporting victims
    > having their bank accounts cleaned out, not through their own fault or
    > actions, but through someone accessing their internet accounts. Does anyone
    > have any experience or comments about this?

    Clueless arse gets a "phishing" e-mail that looks like it comes from
    their bank asking them to confirm their login details. Said clueless
    arse then goes and does this and guess where the details end up? On
    some dodgy server.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton

    Conor, Jan 7, 2005
  11. Fred

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Periodically, I check my balance on-line, and I have not had a problem as
    yet. I go into Internet options, delete history, cookies, and the other
    crap, then log onto my bank's website, and after I have checked my account,
    I log off, then clear the files again. I do not, however, to any financial
    transactions on the internet, including credit cards, etc. When I buy
    online, I print out an order form, and send a money order.

    PuppyKatt, Jan 9, 2005