internet banking browser annoyances

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by surf chick, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. surf chick

    surf chick Guest

    I use an internet bank which, when I login, opens a new browser window
    with no menus and in fullscreen mode. This is annoying because I
    usually have several programs/windows open in the taskbar(?) (the one
    at the bottom) so I can do other things while waiting for the next
    page to load from the bank.

    I've complained to them about it and they say it's done for security
    reasons.

    Me accessing my task bar is a security hazard???? And anyway, all I
    have to do is minimize the window while it loads and everything else
    is visible anyway.

    I can't even get to the edges of the browser window to resize it. Is
    there a way that I can get the menu back and resize the window myself?
    I tried ALT+Spacebar to move it so maybe I could get to one of the
    corners but that doesn't work the way I want. And when I shift the
    window from the title bar to get to a corner, the mouse pointer
    doesn't become the resize arrow anyway.

    Also, the right click is disabled so I can't open new browser windows
    from a link (and if I do Shift+Click, the new browser window opens but
    the banks website detects that and tells me I have too many sessions
    open or something). Anything I can do about that (apart from complain
    to the bank again)?

    Thanks for any help!
    surf chick, Nov 14, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    surf chick <> wrote:
    >I've complained to them about it and they say it's done for security
    >reasons.

    This is a code phrase which means "we have no idea how it got that way
    and thinking about fixing it is too hard."

    Try another bank, perhaps?

    Craig
    Craig A. Finseth, Nov 14, 2003

  3. surf chick

    Guest

    (surf chick) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I use an internet bank which, when I login, opens a new browser window
    > with no menus and in fullscreen mode.

    You might try pressing F11, which is supposed to be the switch between
    fullscreen and windowed modes.

    > I've complained to them about it and they say it's done for security
    > reasons.

    As an employee in the financial industry, I can see why some of their
    settings are as they are, like right-click. The information on the
    screen has to be protected by the bank, even if you are directly
    related to that information. And since banks rarely talk to each
    other about how they implemented secureity, each does it a little
    differently.

    > (and if I do Shift+Click, the new browser window opens but
    > the banks website detects that and tells me I have too many sessions
    > open or something).

    When you do the shift-click, it attempts to open the same page again.
    That may be disallowed by the bank's web server, which is why you're
    getting the error message.

    > Anything I can do about that (apart from complain
    > to the bank again)?

    In no particular order:

    1. You could try using a different browser, like Mozilla or Netscape.
    Mozilla's Firebird will still allow a web page to close toolbars and
    show a fullscreen display, but it should respond to the F11 keystroke
    to go to Window mode.

    2. You could try pressing your Windows Menu button, if you have one.
    It's between the Ctrl and Alt on the left side of the keyboard. This
    should emulate clicking the Start button on the taskbar, which forces
    display of the taskbar. If you don't have a menu button, press
    Ctrl+Esc to do the same thing.

    3. Continuously ask your bank to rewrite their web page so that it
    does not disable the user's computer in such a way. Ask them once a
    week or so, and try to get a clear reason why they won't. Make the
    bank answer your questions in detail, have them define "reasons of
    security" to you so you understand them. Remind them that making
    Internet banking inconvenient will drive users, like you, away from
    them and toward a more user-friendly institution.

    4. Find a different banker. Ask them pointed technical questions,
    like "when I log into your site, does the browser window go full
    screen with no menu bar?" (My credit union answered those questions
    for me, which was one reason I chose them. A large nation-wide bank
    refused to answer, so I refused to do business with them.)
    , Nov 17, 2003
  4. surf chick

    Volker Birk Guest

    surf chick <> wrote:
    > Also, the right click is disabled so I can't open new browser windows
    > from a link (and if I do Shift+Click, the new browser window opens but
    > the banks website detects that and tells me I have too many sessions
    > open or something). Anything I can do about that (apart from complain
    > to the bank again)?

    Open the window. Then switch off java script.

    VB.
    --
    X-Pie Software GmbH
    Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee