Internet audio

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Bishoop, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. Bishoop

    Bishoop Guest

    Bishoop, Mar 22, 2007

  2. Bishoop

    Guest

    On Mar 22, 9:16 am, "Bishoop" <> wrote:
    > The following link plays just fine in IE7 but no sound with FF 2.0.0.3
    >
    > http://www.bentbay.dk/ring_of_Fire.htm
    >
    > Do I need some type of plug-in for FF?
    >
    > Thanks.

    there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
    FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
    killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
    because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
    and IE only and nothing else.

    You can also take a look here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216#bgsound

    warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

    , Mar 22, 2007

  3. Bishoop

    Guest

    On Mar 22, 9:55 am, wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 9:16 am, "Bishoop" <> wrote:
    >
    > > The following link plays just fine in IE7 but no sound with FF 2.0.0.3

    > >http://www.bentbay.dk/ring_of_Fire.htm

    > > Do I need some type of plug-in for FF?

    > > Thanks.

    > there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
    > FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
    > killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
    > because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
    > and IE only and nothing else.
    >
    > You can also take a look here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216#bgsound
    >
    > warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

    UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
    installed: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.

    Then you also need this greasemonkey add on: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278

    once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
    ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.

    , Mar 22, 2007
  4. Bishoop

    Bishoop Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 22, 9:55 am, wrote:
    >> On Mar 22, 9:16 am, "Bishoop" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > The following link plays just fine in IE7 but no sound with FF 2.0.0.3

    >> >http://www.bentbay.dk/ring_of_Fire.htm

    >> > Do I need some type of plug-in for FF?

    >> > Thanks.

    >> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
    >> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
    >> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
    >> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
    >> and IE only and nothing else.
    >>
    >> You can also take a look
    >> here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216#bgsound
    >>
    >> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

    > UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
    > installed: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.
    >
    > Then you also need this greasemonkey add on:
    > http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278
    >
    > once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
    > ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.

    Thanks for the help....

    Bishoop, Mar 22, 2007
  5. Bishoop

    Doug G Guest

    Bishoop wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    >>> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
    >>> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
    >>> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
    >>> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
    >>> and IE only and nothing else.
    >>>
    >>> You can also take a look
    >>> here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216#bgsound
    >>>
    >>> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

    >> UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
    >> installed: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.
    >>
    >> Then you also need this greasemonkey add on:
    >> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278
    >>
    >> once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
    >> ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.

    > Thanks for the help....

    The music plays in an IE tab.

    IE Tab extension:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

    Doug G, Mar 22, 2007
  6. Bishoop

    Stubby Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 9:55 am, wrote:
    >> On Mar 22, 9:16 am, "Bishoop" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The following link plays just fine in IE7 but no sound with FF 2.0.0.3
    >>> http://www.bentbay.dk/ring_of_Fire.htm
    >>> Do I need some type of plug-in for FF?
    >>> Thanks.

    >> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
    >> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
    >> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
    >> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
    >> and IE only and nothing else.
    >>
    >> You can also take a look here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216#bgsound
    >>
    >> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

    > UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
    > installed: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.
    >
    > Then you also need this greasemonkey add on: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278
    >
    > once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
    > ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.

    That exposes a real weakness in FF -- having to add extensions, plugins,
    etc until it works the same as IE. Right out of the box it should do
    that. Users can ADD things to the base release but there is no
    advantage to having a product that doesn't work. It's like getting a
    nice looking car that comes without a steering wheel.

    Stubby, Mar 22, 2007
  7. Stubby wrote:

    > wrote:

    >>> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
    >>> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
    >>> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
    >>> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
    >>> and IE only and nothing else.
    >>>
    >>> You can also take a look
    >>> here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216#bgsound
    >>>
    >>> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

    >> UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
    >> installed: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.
    >>
    >> Then you also need this greasemonkey add on:
    >> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278
    >>
    >> once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
    >> ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.
    >>

    > That exposes a real weakness in FF -- having to add extensions, plugins,
    > etc until it works the same as IE. Right out of the box it should do
    > that. Users can ADD things to the base release but there is no
    > advantage to having a product that doesn't work. It's like getting a
    > nice looking car that comes without a steering wheel.

    I'll disagree quite strongly here. Why should Firefox play a file using
    an outmoded, proprietary tag? Why is it expecting too much for web
    developers, even obviously amateur ones as in this case, to code their
    pages correctly?

    I haven't run across a page using bgsound in over a year until this one.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 22, 2007
  8. Bishoop

    Guest

    On Mar 22, 12:51 pm, Stubby <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
    > >> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
    > >> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
    > >> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
    > >> and IE only and nothing else.

    > >> You can also take a look here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216#bgsound

    > >> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

    > > UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
    > > installed:http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.

    > > Then you also need this greasemonkey add on:http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278

    > > once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
    > > ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.

    > That exposes a real weakness in FF -- having to add extensions, plugins,
    > etc until it works the same as IE. Right out of the box it should do
    > that. Users can ADD things to the base release but there is no
    > advantage to having a product that doesn't work. It's like getting a
    > nice looking car that comes without a steering wheel.

    you've got a point in that, considering Opera plays it just fine, so
    why not FF. Maybe you should ask the developers that question. But
    until then, you have to use work around.

    , Mar 22, 2007
  9. On 2007-03-22, Stubby <> wrote:

    > That exposes a real weakness in FF -- having to add extensions, plugins,
    > etc until it works the same as IE. Right out of the box it should do
    > that.

    Bzzt. Wrong. If you want it to be exactly like IE, why even bother with
    Firefox? I use Firefox because I can add extensions and such to make it
    work better than IE.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Mar 23, 2007