    http://go.jitbot.com/audiovideo-patent

    Expect to pay more for your viewing pleasures... :-(

    Mitch

    Mitch, Dec 12, 2003

  2. "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    news:OGaCb.47268$...
    > Internet audio video patent starts charging money
    >
    > Bad news guys... Acacia Research, a small California research firm, is
    > charging royalty to adult web sites for distributing audio and video over
    > the Internet because they own the patent on audio video transport over the
    > internet.
    >
    > http://go.jitbot.com/audiovideo-patent
    >
    > Expect to pay more for your viewing pleasures... :-(
    >
    > Mitch

    Tragic.

    Robert John Guttke, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Mitch

    Speedbyrd Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:37:50 -0500, "Mitch" <> wrote:

    >Internet audio video patent starts charging money
    >
    >Bad news guys... Acacia Research, a small California research firm, is
    >charging royalty to adult web sites for distributing audio and video over
    >the Internet because they own the patent on audio video transport over the
    >internet.
    >
    >http://go.jitbot.com/audiovideo-patent
    >
    >Expect to pay more for your viewing pleasures... :-(
    >
    >Mitch

    You make it sound like it should be free.

    The Speedbyrd :>

    Speedbyrd, Dec 12, 2003
  4. > Internet audio video patent starts charging money

    > Bad news guys... Acacia Research, a small California research firm, is
    > charging royalty to adult web sites for distributing audio and video over
    > the Internet because they own the patent on audio video transport over the
    > internet.
    >
    > http://go.jitbot.com/audiovideo-patent
    >
    > Expect to pay more for your viewing pleasures... :-(

    It'll never go through...

    On one bench, a small California research firm, on the other, 48 eBay
    lawyers...

    Delameko Stone, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Mitch

    You Guest

    It's not just porn. They're going after everyone.

    "ACACIA RESEARCH CORP. started by targeting dozens of adult
    entertainment companies, demanding royalties of as much as 4 percent
    of their revenue from audio and video streaming. Now the firm is
    seeking fees from universities that use Web video for remote learning,
    from companies that serve up movies to hotel rooms, from cable and
    satellite providers, and from major streaming-media companies such as
    RealNetworks Inc. and America Online Inc."

    You, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Mitch

    Mark W Guest

    "You" <> wrote in message
    > It's not just porn. They're going after everyone.
    >
    > "ACACIA RESEARCH CORP. started by targeting dozens of adult
    > entertainment companies, demanding royalties of as much as 4 percent
    > of their revenue from audio and video streaming. Now the firm is
    > seeking fees from universities that use Web video for remote learning,
    > from companies that serve up movies to hotel rooms, from cable and
    > satellite providers, and from major streaming-media companies such as
    > RealNetworks Inc. and America Online Inc."

    Well, remember when British Telecom tried to claim they held the patent to
    hyperlinking or something?

    I'd imagine the actual streaming technology has moved on so far since Acacia
    'invented' it that it just isn't the same thing anymore.

    Mark W, Dec 12, 2003