    solutions you can provide.

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.

    WriteWord Translations, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Hmm ...

    I may have found a solution - turn off Norton Internet Security!

    That's not the most ideal solution, but ... now that I've done it, the
    Internet seems to be working better.

    Does anyone know whether a program like NIS can cause a slowdown in your
    browsing? Or is it just coincidence? Certainly, the Net works pretty well
    most of the time when I have NIS on.

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.

    WriteWord Translations, Jan 18, 2004

  3. WriteWord Translations

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:56:15 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm having a dreadful day with the Internet today. Pages are either not
    >Explorer bar crawling up to halfway and then stopping!
    >
    >E-mail is also a bit up and down. So is there a problem with Xtra
    >(specifically Xtra Jetstream), or are there packets being dropped left right
    >and centre?
    >
    >Anyone else experiencing these frustrations? TIA for any enlightenment or
    >solutions you can provide.

    Been going fine on Paradise, i've download a heap of stuff from lots
    of different places today, including microsoft which I normally find
    quite slow.

    Craig Shore, Jan 18, 2004
  4. WriteWord Translations

    XPD Guest

    "WriteWord Translations" <> wrote in message
    > Hmm ...
    >
    > I may have found a solution - turn off Norton Internet Security!
    >
    > That's not the most ideal solution, but ... now that I've done it, the
    > Internet seems to be working better.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether a program like NIS can cause a slowdown in your
    > browsing? Or is it just coincidence? Certainly, the Net works pretty well
    > most of the time when I have NIS on.

    Could be holding up your DNS requests etc..... make sure port 53 (i think)
    isnt being blocked/examined by NIS.
    Ive never used NIS so dont have a clue exactly how it deal with that sort of
    thing.

    XPD, Jan 18, 2004
  5. WriteWord Translations

    chris Guest

    WriteWord Translations wrote:

    > Hmm ...
    >
    > I may have found a solution - turn off Norton Internet Security!
    >
    > That's not the most ideal solution, but ... now that I've done it, the
    > Internet seems to be working better.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether a program like NIS can cause a slowdown in your
    > browsing? Or is it just coincidence? Certainly, the Net works pretty well
    > most of the time when I have NIS on.
    >
    > Best Regards
    >
    > ROWAN M.

    I've seen repeated situations where online performance is severely reduced
    by NIS.

    Chris

    chris, Jan 18, 2004