    address etc
    Is there some software tool that support that?

    Thanks in advance

    Mandi, Mar 26, 2007

  2. Mandi

    Todd H. Guest

    "Mandi" <> writes:

    > My kids spend hours with the Internet and I have no idea about the risks
    > that they are exposed to. I wouldn't like to limit their privacy but on the
    > other hand to control somehow their operation, at list if they deliver
    > personal details like , telephone, email, credit card details, street
    > address etc
    > Is there some software tool that support that?

    First, the non-technical solutions:
    Put the computer in the middle of the house in a public,
    highly trafficked area where you are frequently. Not in a
    room that gives any privacy. No piece of software can
    replace this parenting tool. Nor can having long and
    repeated dialogue with your kids about the importance of not
    disclosing personaly identifiable information. There's a long
    list of horror stories out there. Get versed in these and
    don't be afraid to scare the livin crap out of your kids about
    possible scenario's. I'm not sure you can over-frighten kids
    about internet dangers.

    Now, in answer to your original question, there are privacy programs
    out there that attempt to thwart disclosure of the things you list.
    Their efficacy is not something I can personally vouch for however.
    Many internet security suites include some sort of software that
    purports to block submissions of these details out there, but I'm also
    sure none of them are perfect.

    Kaspersky internet security suite claims "prevents confidential
    information (such as passwords, bank account numbers and credit card
    details) being stolen from your computer." Doesn't say anything
    about keeping your kid from IMing things in chat rooms though.

    Norton internet security claims "Prevents confidential information
    from being sent without your permission"

    Another thing to look into if you have broadband especially is a
    router that has parental control features whereby things can be block
    at the router rather than on the computer where smart kids exchange
    info with each other on getting around them. Then again a smart
    enough kid will figure out the router based blocks too, but if they're
    that bright, start hiring them out on small business consulting
    engagements for $60-$100/hr--should keep em out of trouble!

    But before doing any of that hard stuff--do the easy thing of getting
    that computer in a central location so you can do old fashioned low
    tech parenting looking over their shoulder.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Mar 26, 2007

  3. Mandi

    nemo_outis Guest

    "Mandi" <> wrote in

    > My kids spend hours with the Internet and I have no idea about the
    > risks that they are exposed to. I wouldn't like to limit their privacy
    > but on the other hand to control somehow their operation, at list if
    > they deliver personal details like , telephone, email, credit card
    > details, street address etc

    > Is there some software tool that support that?

    There is a peopleware tool that addresses the problem: parenting.

    I'm not just being flip - any software tool is, at best, a secondary,
    inferior line of defence. For instance, how do you keep your kids from
    buying drugs at school? Presumably, by educating them about the risks and
    dangers and giving them guidelines on how to respond, not by installing a
    monitoring tool.

    Same for the internet. If you don't want them giving out things like
    addresses, credit card numbers, etc, then tell them. And explain there
    will be "logical consequences" for non-compliance such as loss of computer
    privileges for some period (commensurate with the violation and their
    determination to do better, of course). Kids may grumble but deep down
    they appreciate clear guidelines, and firm, fair justice - it adds to their
    sense of security and confidence.

    And you also say something that is mildly disquieting: "...I have no idea
    about the risks that they are exposed to." Then educate yourself. Not to
    the "nth degree" but passably at least. If not, do you really think some
    tool can substitute for your ignorance? No! In fact, there's a signicant
    risk it will give you a false sense of security.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Mar 26, 2007
  4. Mandi

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:29:36 +0200, "Mandi" <> wrote:

    >My kids spend hours with the Internet and I have no idea about the risks
    >that they are exposed to. I wouldn't like to limit their privacy but on the
    >other hand to control somehow their operation, at list if they deliver
    >personal details like , telephone, email, credit card details, street
    >address etc
    >Is there some software tool that support that?

    In which case your kids know more than you about
    computers and will quickly circumvent any software
    you might install to limit their activities and
    censor what they can do.

    You need to do some research on possible problems and
    talk to them about it to make sure they understand, in
    the same way that you might warn them about other risks
    in life. The computer and internet is no different.

    There's some stuff to read here

    http://www.staysafeonline.org/

    However, the emphasis should be on talking to your kids
    rather than trying to spy on what they are up to.

    Finally if they run file sharing software and do all the
    other things that kids will do they will trash the machine's
    software so be prepared to reload the operating system and
    do not keep any important information on a machine used by
    your children.

    I recently got a bunch of email responses to one of my
    websites from some third grade kids so it seems they are
    encouraged to use the internet at school and email total
    strangers.

    The message that has me puzzled was the kid who just said

    'I have a big head and small arms'

    Hope he did not mean he was a paranoid gun collector.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Mar 27, 2007
  5. Mandi

    James Guest

    Mandi wrote:
    > My kids spend hours with the Internet and I have no idea about the risks
    > that they are exposed to. I wouldn't like to limit their privacy but on the
    > other hand to control somehow their operation, at list if they deliver
    > personal details like , telephone, email, credit card details, street
    > address etc
    > Is there some software tool that support that?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Key loggers are useful and generally designed to be sneaky. For when
    you can't be around to keep an eye on them. Take a look at:
    http://www.actualspy.com/ or http://www.kmint21.com/keylogger/ and
    Google around for some other alternatives.

    James http://cronus.ath.cx

    James, Apr 8, 2007
  6. Mandi

    Fos Guest

    Mandi;99242 Wrote:
    > My kids spend hours with the Internet and I have no idea about the
    > risks
    > that they are exposed to. I wouldn't like to limit their privacy but on
    > the
    > other hand to control somehow their operation, at list if they deliver
    > personal details like , telephone, email, credit card details, street
    > address etc
    > Is there some software tool that support that?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Hi
    Mandi i agree its very important to monitor our kids while they are
    using computer and secure our computer privacy ... for doing this u can
    use different software and contact company providing services like that
    ...i had contact 'InfoLockTech' (http://www.infolocktech.com) for
    securing my computer privacy i got some problem with my pc regarding
    security issue but i have fixed them ...i would like you to contact
    them and let them know about your issue...
    Regards

    View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=19112
    http://www.wirelessforums.org

    Fos, Jun 5, 2007