    downloading emails, but that only happened once and hasn't happen again.

    Thanks !
    James
    Duncan, Mar 6, 2004

  2. Duncan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Duncan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > If someone could answer this for me, I'd be greatful.
    > I'm trying to fix a problem on a friends computer where the internet
    > activity is constant. This makes getting access to mail and any other

    site
    > on the internet very slow and sometimes impossible. Just to rule out the
    > possibility that the problem could be with the modem, I switched it with
    > another one... same problem ! I did find the Welchia and MyDoom viruses,
    > but no other ones. They have been cleared off, but I'm still having
    > problems. I've also scanned the system from a known good computer using
    > Norton (updated of course) which didn't turn up anything else.
    > Other viruses that I've searched for include : Anig, Klez, sobig, beagle,
    > Netsky, Gaobot, Nimda
    > I did get a 'svchost.exe has generated errors' error at one point while
    > downloading emails, but that only happened once and hasn't happen again.
    >
    > Thanks !
    > James

    Look for spyware, trojans, etc. Some of these like to use your computer to
    spread their own nastiness. Or download porn, etc., while no one is looking.

    Tim
    Toolman Tim, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Duncan

    Nathan Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Look for spyware, trojans, etc. Some of these like to use your computer to
    > spread their own nastiness. Or download porn, etc., while no one is looking.

    > Tim

    Is it just me or is it totally stupid that Norton's doesn't find Spyware
    Pop-op viruses, or any number of other "Safe" Virus activity.
    Nathan, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    I ran adaware, and it didn't find anything unfortunately...
    Thanks for the reply though.

    James

    Duncan, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Duncan

    Spider Guest

    Duncan wrote:

    > I ran adaware, and it didn't find anything unfortunately...
    > Thanks for the reply though.
    >
    > James
    >
    >>>I'm trying to fix a problem on a friends computer where the internet
    >>>activity is constant. This makes getting access to mail and any other

    >>site

    Try downloading http://www.coolbeans.ws/sysinfo.shtml and see if you can
    pick up any hints by watching the network activity and what processes
    show up in the CPU activity. Use Cool Beans that you downloaded to
    monitor the network activity and run the regular task manager alongside
    it viewing the Process tab. To examine the CPU usage, click that column
    on the Processes tab. Click it twice if necessary to sort the highest
    number to the top of the list. As you view the network activity in Cool
    Beans, what process is using the cpu? That will be your hint. Don't
    recognize the process name? Google it.

    --

    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/spiderweb1.htm