    According to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only
    be experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all
    the time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

    David, Nov 19, 2006

  2. David wrote:
    > I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed
    > never goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and
    > it soon drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s).
    > According to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only
    > be experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all
    > the time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

    Have similar situation here on Orcon.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 19, 2006

  3. David

    whome Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed never
    > goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and it soon
    > drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s). According to
    > Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only be experiencing
    > a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all the time. Anyone
    > experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

    stop stealing music and porn?

    whome, Nov 19, 2006
  4. David

    Zipper Guest

    David wrote:
    > I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed
    > never goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and
    > it soon drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s).
    > According to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only
    > be experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all
    > the time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

    Yes I have the same problem. I moved to FS/FS very soon after the new
    deals and I got great speeds on some torrents. A few days later as I
    assume more and more were moved to FS connections things really started
    getting slow. Now like you I struggle to get above 30kbytes on a FS
    speed plan. I am wondering why I left the 256kbit plan in fact. I am
    paying double the price and getting no increase in speed now, except on
    downloading http. It doesn't seem to make a difference what hour
    either, the torrents go slow at 3am, 5am whenever.

    I wrote to Orcon about the issue and they said it _could_ be congestion
    at my exchange and that exchanges are being upgraded around NZ to deal
    with the extra traffic but that doesn't explain why http goes quickly
    and torrents that are heavily seeded (40 seeds per peer) come down at
    snails pace and I can see the other peers overseas downloading at
    400kbytes + on the same torrent.

    Ho hum

    Zipper, Nov 19, 2006
  5. David

    Finch Guest

    Dick.

    Finch, Nov 19, 2006
  6. David

    Finch Guest

    Finch, Nov 19, 2006
  7. On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:10:04 +1300, David wrote:

    > I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed
    > never goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and
    > it soon drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s).
    > According to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only
    > be experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all
    > the time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

    I was experiencing that a few months back on my ihug account (before they
    were shaping, or at least before they owned up to it). I've wondered if
    someone if shaping PtP traffic through the off-shore cpnnections.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <>

    Rupert Boleyn, Nov 19, 2006
  8. David

    Tony Guest

    >> stop stealing music and porn?

    I think this is a fair comment actually.

    Tony, Nov 19, 2006
  9. David

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >>> stop stealing music and porn?

    > I think this is a fair comment actually.

    Please explain why.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 19, 2006
  10. David

    steve Guest

    David wrote:

    > I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed
    > never goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and
    > it soon drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s).
    > According to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only
    > be experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all
    > the time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

    I have seen speeds of over 100kb / second.....but only at off-peak.

    I suspect they are happy to let P2P thrash the lines provided other,
    higher-priority, traffic isn't impacted.

    I typically download overnight and the throughput is fine.

    steve, Nov 19, 2006
  11. David

    steve Guest

    whome wrote:

    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed never
    >> goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and it
    >> soon drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s). According
    >> to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only be
    >> experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all the
    >> time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

    > stop stealing music and porn?

    Not here. I typically download TV shows not shown in NZ.

    The Daily Show
    The Colbert Report
    Various docos from PBS or others.

    steve, Nov 19, 2006
  12. David

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:07:22 +1300, Tony wrote:

    >>> stop stealing music and porn?

    > I think this is a fair comment actually.

    Well I'd like to know WHY you think it's a fair comment.

    Specifically, I'd like you to answer these two questions:

    1. How does 'stop stealing music and porn' have anything to do with p2p
    speeds?

    2. How did you arrive at the conclusion this is what he is doing?

    And finally an observation:
    I think that the time for parochial prudes of your sort has long since
    passed. If you want to live in some Victorian dystopia you are welcome to
    it; but do not inflict your depressing little nightmare on us.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #171987 +(5636)- [X]

    <Th3No0b> Im going to be the next hitler
    <Th3No0b> Im going to kill all the jews and 1 clown
    <RageAgainsttheAmish> why the clown
    <Th3No0b> See? no one cares about the jews
    <RageAgainsttheAmish> lmao

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/11/2006 11:39:08 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 19, 2006
  13. David

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:33:33 +1300, whome wrote:

    > stop stealing music and porn?

    Are you some sort of retard?

    It looks like it... Some sort of idiot savant - able to use a keyboard but
    totally incapable of matching what you type to any sort of reality or
    logical argument.

    Since when does 'stealing music or porn' have ANYTHING to do with p2p
    speeds?

    And how do you know he was 'stealing music and porn'?

    --

    .... Brendan

    #139697 +(4371)- [X]

    <frank> can you help me install GTA3?
    <knightmare> first, shut down all programs you aren't using
    frank has quit IRC. (Quit)
    <knightmare> ...

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/11/2006 11:34:06 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 19, 2006
  14. David

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 08:41:44 +0000 (UTC), Rupert Boleyn wrote:

    > I was experiencing that a few months back on my ihug account (before they
    > were shaping, or at least before they owned up to it). I've wondered if
    > someone if shaping PtP traffic through the off-shore cpnnections.

    Have they now owned up to it?

    --

    .... Brendan

    A man walked into the doctors, he said, "I've hurt my arm in
    several places" The doctor said, "Well don't go there anymore"

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/11/2006 11:45:37 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 19, 2006
  15. David

    Lonney Guest

    Are you using the "stadard" torrent port(s) in the 6000 range? I'm not
    into Torrents big time, but I do torrent the odd thing here and there,
    from exp using ports in the 15000+ range work loads better. uTorrent
    can pick random new port each time its opened if you upnp enable your
    router it'll do the port mapping for you. (I run uTorrent on a fixed
    port around 32000)

    I'm also on Orcon FS/FS, so far speeds are good all round I'm finding,
    possibly too good as I have munched 9gb of my 15gb cap in a week. :p

    Lonney, Nov 19, 2006
  16. David

    Phil Guest

    steve wrote, On 19/11/06 10.51 p:
    > Not here. I typically download TV shows not shown in NZ.

    That doesn't make it any more legal.

    -Phil

    Phil, Nov 19, 2006
  17. On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:58:26 +1300, Brendan wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 08:41:44 +0000 (UTC), Rupert Boleyn wrote:
    >
    >> I was experiencing that a few months back on my ihug account (before they
    >> were shaping, or at least before they owned up to it). I've wondered if
    >> someone if shaping PtP traffic through the off-shore cpnnections.

    > Have they now owned up to it?

    There's now a bit in their terms and conditions saying they reserve the
    right to shape traffic anytime they deem it necessary.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <>

    Rupert Boleyn, Nov 19, 2006
  18. David

    David Guest

    Finch wrote:
    > Not an uncommon issue, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding
    > as a starting point. I've found that setting up port forwarding if you
    > can helps.
    >
    > David wrote:
    > <snip>

    I'm no fool, forwarding is already been set up using uPnP. These
    torrents would invariably max out my Xtra 3.5mbit connection, so there's
    nothing wrong at my end.

    David, Nov 19, 2006
  19. David

    David Guest

    Lonney wrote:
    > Are you using the "stadard" torrent port(s) in the 6000 range? I'm not
    > into Torrents big time, but I do torrent the odd thing here and there,
    > from exp using ports in the 15000+ range work loads better. uTorrent
    > can pick random new port each time its opened if you upnp enable your
    > router it'll do the port mapping for you. (I run uTorrent on a fixed
    > port around 32000)

    Hmm, maybe I accidentally got put in the ZeroShock range or something.
    uTorrent is currently set to randomize the port each time it starts
    (using uPnP).

    > I'm also on Orcon FS/FS, so far speeds are good all round I'm finding,
    > possibly too good as I have munched 9gb of my 15gb cap in a week. :p

    Heh, I've used 500mb of my 30GB in 4 days. This situation better improve
    or I'm going back to go large (I can't use 30gb on web browsing).

    David, Nov 19, 2006
  20. David

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 19 Nov 2006 03:29:47 -0800, "Lonney" <> wrote:

    >Are you using the "stadard" torrent port(s) in the 6000 range? I'm not
    >into Torrents big time, but I do torrent the odd thing here and there,
    >from exp using ports in the 15000+ range work loads better. uTorrent
    >can pick random new port each time its opened if you upnp enable your
    >router it'll do the port mapping for you. (I run uTorrent on a fixed
    >port around 32000)
    >
    >I'm also on Orcon FS/FS, so far speeds are good all round I'm finding,
    >possibly too good as I have munched 9gb of my 15gb cap in a week. :p

    Guess that points towards it being the backhaul being overloaded from David's
    exchange then.

    Craig Shore, Nov 19, 2006