    About to get shitty on them with sending me to collections for a phone I was
    trying to return since the outlook sync was useless to me when I had to edit the
    numbers before using them.

    Richard, Feb 2, 2006

  2. Richard

    Peter Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > I dont have any telecom phones here to test it on, but last time I did
    > have one, dialing numbers as +649xxxxx or whatever didnt work, have they
    > resolved this yet?

    Seems the marketing droids have not got on to that one yet. Telecom could
    always 'trumbone' such a call through their international switch (perhaps
    even overseas) and charge gateway exit and entry fees.

    Peter, Feb 2, 2006

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >

    >>I dont have any telecom phones here to test it on, but last time I did
    >>have one, dialing numbers as +649xxxxx or whatever didnt work, have they
    >>resolved this yet?
    >>

    > Seems the marketing droids have not got on to that one yet. Telecom could
    > always 'trumbone' such a call through their international switch (perhaps
    > even overseas) and charge gateway exit and entry fees.

    Yeah well intentionally making it hard to use there products seems to be a
    common thing for telecom to do. Whats the point in having outlook sync if you
    have to change your number before you use it..

    Richard, Feb 5, 2006
  4. "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>

    >>>I dont have any telecom phones here to test it on, but last time I did
    >>>have one, dialing numbers as +649xxxxx or whatever didnt work, have they
    >>>resolved this yet?
    >>>

    >> Seems the marketing droids have not got on to that one yet. Telecom
    >> could
    >> always 'trumbone' such a call through their international switch (perhaps
    >> even overseas) and charge gateway exit and entry fees.

    > Yeah well intentionally making it hard to use there products seems to be a
    > common thing for telecom to do. Whats the point in having outlook sync if
    > you have to change your number before you use it..

    It's not the Telecom intention to make it harder. The + as a replacement for
    the international call prefix is a GSM standard, not CDMA.

    AFAIK, Telecom is working on enabling a feature on the network that would do
    the translation - but still in the works. If you use SMS from Telecom it
    will work fine with the + sign.

    For example all my phone numbers are stored as +64 ... even the New Zealand
    number, because the GSM networks know this will be a local, not
    international call.

    I have both a Telecom and Vodafone accounts, and SMS will work fine on
    Telecom even with the + - because the SMSC understand this, but not the
    other parts of their mobile network.

    If you have a Pocket PC Phone Edition on Telecom (the Harrier or Apache),
    there's a program that will translate the number as you dial.

    Just give sometime to them, and the + should work.

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Feb 5, 2006
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > It's not the Telecom intention to make it harder. The + as a replacement for
    > the international call prefix is a GSM standard, not CDMA.
    >
    > AFAIK, Telecom is working on enabling a feature on the network that would do
    > the translation - but still in the works. If you use SMS from Telecom it
    > will work fine with the + sign.
    >
    > For example all my phone numbers are stored as +64 ... even the New Zealand
    > number, because the GSM networks know this will be a local, not
    > international call.
    >
    > I have both a Telecom and Vodafone accounts, and SMS will work fine on
    > Telecom even with the + - because the SMSC understand this, but not the
    > other parts of their mobile network.
    >
    > If you have a Pocket PC Phone Edition on Telecom (the Harrier or Apache),
    > there's a program that will translate the number as you dial.
    >
    > Just give sometime to them, and the + should work.

    Between that and them dicking me around over a software update I lost interest.
    I still havent had any answer from them to my letters over why I am not paying
    for the phone and wnat to return it so I;m thinking that disputes is the next step.

    Its not a GSM thing, even my old nokia 5120i would let me input it, woulndt work
    when I tried dialing however. How am I supposed to store my NZ numbers to use
    when I roam to the states and try to call there? The feedback I had from my mate
    over there is that the + is the only way to call international from his mobile,
    the normal 011649 doesnt work at all, and I think it was a cdma phone (may have
    being gsm, he didnt know)

    Richard, Feb 6, 2006
  6. "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Its not a GSM thing, even my old nokia 5120i would let me input it,
    > woulndt work when I tried dialing however. How am I supposed to store my
    > NZ numbers to use when I roam to the states and try to call there? The
    > feedback I had from my mate over there is that the + is the only way to
    > call international from his mobile, the normal 011649 doesnt work at all,
    > and I think it was a cdma phone (may have being gsm, he didnt know)

    011 works in the USA, when on CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon). I've used it
    last month. + works in the USA, when on GSM networks (Cingular). I also used
    this last month (I was attending the CES 2006).

    The 5120i allowed to enter + but the network wouldn't recognise. Just
    because the phone allows entering something it will not always work -
    multi-part SMS for example...

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Feb 6, 2006
  7. Richard

    colinco Guest

    In article Mauricio Freitas [MVP] says...
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > Its not a GSM thing, even my old nokia 5120i would let me input it,
    > > woulndt work when I tried dialing however. How am I supposed to store my
    > > NZ numbers to use when I roam to the states and try to call there? The
    > > feedback I had from my mate over there is that the + is the only way to
    > > call international from his mobile, the normal 011649 doesnt work at all,
    > > and I think it was a cdma phone (may have being gsm, he didnt know)

    > 011 works in the USA, when on CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon). I've used it
    > last month. + works in the USA, when on GSM networks (Cingular). I also used
    > this last month (I was attending the CES 2006).
    >
    > The 5120i allowed to enter + but the network wouldn't recognise. Just
    > because the phone allows entering something it will not always work -
    > multi-part SMS for example...

    AFAIK the + was a convention meaning insert your international access
    code here used on printed business cards predating cellular phones. No
    excuse for any cell phones not coping with this.

    colinco, Feb 6, 2006
  8. "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article Mauricio Freitas [MVP] says...
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> > Its not a GSM thing, even my old nokia 5120i would let me input it,
    >> > woulndt work when I tried dialing however. How am I supposed to store
    >> > my
    >> > NZ numbers to use when I roam to the states and try to call there? The
    >> > feedback I had from my mate over there is that the + is the only way to
    >> > call international from his mobile, the normal 011649 doesnt work at
    >> > all,
    >> > and I think it was a cdma phone (may have being gsm, he didnt know)

    >> 011 works in the USA, when on CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon). I've used
    >> it
    >> last month. + works in the USA, when on GSM networks (Cingular). I also
    >> used
    >> this last month (I was attending the CES 2006).
    >>
    >> The 5120i allowed to enter + but the network wouldn't recognise. Just
    >> because the phone allows entering something it will not always work -
    >> multi-part SMS for example...
    >>

    > AFAIK the + was a convention meaning insert your international access
    > code here used on printed business cards predating cellular phones. No
    > excuse for any cell phones not coping with this.

    It's the network, not the mobile phone...

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Feb 7, 2006
  9. Richard

    colinco Guest

    In article Mauricio Freitas [MVP] says...
    > It's the network, not the mobile phone...

    What ever, my point was that the "+" convention predated both GSM and
    CDMA.

    colinco, Feb 7, 2006