    I'd like to do this at home, where I've got three machines, setting one
    to be notified, the others to get the updates from that.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Steve Freides

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Steve Freides said:

    > Is there a way to make one machine on a network a WindowsUpdate server?
    > I'd like to do this at home, where I've got three machines, setting one
    > to be notified, the others to get the updates from that.
    >
    > -S-

    What like downloading the files to a shared folder instead of installing over
    the net?
    Brian H¹©, Sep 26, 2003

  3. Steve Freides

    JabberSmith Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to make one machine on a network a WindowsUpdate server?
    > I'd like to do this at home, where I've got three machines, setting one
    > to be notified, the others to get the updates from that.
    >
    > -S-

    Software Update Service (SUS) from Microsoft.

    You use an IIS server on one machine to download patches, "approve" them and
    then can set the registry on the networked computers to push the patches out
    to them.

    It takes lots of file space and might not be worth it for only 3 machines.
    Its free and pretty easy to set up if you are familiar with networking and
    Windows....
    JabberSmith, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Howdy!

    > Is there a way to make one machine on a network a WindowsUpdate server?
    > I'd like to do this at home, where I've got three machines, setting one
    > to be notified, the others to get the updates from that.

    Yes - but I don't think you want to do that.

    Check out Microsoft's links on Software Update Services (one link to
    the FAQ is at Microsoft Software Update Services: Frequently Asked Questions
    or tinyurl of http://tinyurl.com/oppf .

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 26, 2003
  5. JabberSmith wrote:

    > "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    > > Is there a way to make one machine on a network a WindowsUpdate server?
    > > I'd like to do this at home, where I've got three machines, setting one
    > > to be notified, the others to get the updates from that.
    > >
    > > -S-

    > Software Update Service (SUS) from Microsoft.
    >
    > You use an IIS server on one machine to download patches, "approve" them and
    > then can set the registry on the networked computers to push the patches out
    > to them.

    I'm not familiar with IIS server - what's that? Obviously Microsoft -
    is it their web server platform?

    > It takes lots of file space and might not be worth it for only 3 machines.
    > Its free and pretty easy to set up if you are familiar with networking and
    > Windows....

    Very familiar with networking under Novell, less so under Windoze but
    manage to get along alright there as well.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Sep 26, 2003
  6. "Brian H¹©" wrote:

    > Steve Freides said:
    >
    > > Is there a way to make one machine on a network a WindowsUpdate server?
    > > I'd like to do this at home, where I've got three machines, setting one
    > > to be notified, the others to get the updates from that.
    > >
    > > -S-

    > What like downloading the files to a shared folder instead of installing over
    > the net?

    Yeah, something like that, except that the WindowsUpdate functionality
    is pretty nice and it would be nice to point a workstation to a local
    server instead of MS' but otherwise have it work the same. Right now, I
    don't even know how to get a list of everything I'd need to DL to keep a
    pile of XP machines happy because I just WindowsUpdate each one of them
    individually.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Sep 26, 2003
  7. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/windowsupdate/sus/susdeployment.asp

    >> You use an IIS server on one machine to download patches, "approve" them and
    >> then can set the registry on the networked computers to push the patches out
    >> to them.

    >I'm not familiar with IIS server - what's that? Obviously Microsoft -
    >is it their web server platform?

    Yes, Internet Information Server.
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/iis/default.mspx
    that's a redirection from the old
    http://www.microsoft.com/iis/
    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 26, 2003
  8. Steve Freides

    vagabond Guest

    Shavlik HfNetChkPro4 - LT - free for up to 10 workstations and 1 server.

    vagabond, Sep 26, 2003