    drive and saving all my personal created information on an "external" SATA
    drive?
    Thanks for your imput!
    Me/PDX, Jan 21, 2007

  2. "Me/PDX" <> wrote in message
    news:TuQsh.3535$...
    | Setting up a NEW computer...desktop
    | What are your thoughts of having "only" my programs on my internal "C"
    SATA
    | drive and saving all my personal created information on an "external"
    SATA
    | drive?
    | Thanks for your imput!

    I think that it is an excellent idea. What I do, is keep all of my
    Windows and Program files on my main hard drive, and I have a second
    internal for personal stuff. If C crashes or if Windows has to be
    re-installed, I still have my personal stuff. Also, on my D: drive, I
    keep a folder called Setup Files. Stuff I download for installation,
    such as AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc. are ready to re-install on the fresh
    C: drive, without having to spend hours searching and downloading to
    replace the important stuff on the main drive.
    Stawraw Sooka, Jan 21, 2007

  3. Me/PDX

    olfart Guest

    olfart, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Me/PDX

    olfart Guest

    "Me/PDX" <> wrote in message
    > Setting up a NEW computer...desktop
    > What are your thoughts of having "only" my programs on my internal "C"
    > SATA
    > drive and saving all my personal created information on an "external" SATA
    > drive?
    > Thanks for your imput!

    OK for starters but you still have no backup.
    This might be overkill but I have what you are talking about.....plus.....
    2 external SATA drives which back up each of the internals.
    I also have the .exe files for all my installed programs (including updates
    and registration keys) and have burned .iso images of all my installation
    CD's
    olfart, Jan 21, 2007
  5. Me/PDX

    doS Guest

    use cds or dvds instead....

    doS, Jan 21, 2007
  6. Me/PDX

    old man Guest

    Havent you multi posted enough???

    old man, Jan 21, 2007
  7. Me/PDX

    Otter Guest

    In news:9KSsh.70810$,
    old man <> typed:
    > Havent you multi posted enough???

    Have they exceeded their quota?
    Otter, Jan 21, 2007
  8. Me/PDX

    Guest

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:10:18 -0500, "doS" <> wrote:

    >use cds or dvds instead....

    I have 800 Gigs..that's a lot of CDs.<g>

    >"Stawraw Sooka" <> wrote in message
    >> "Me/PDX" <> wrote in message
    >> | Setting up a NEW computer...desktop
    >> | What are your thoughts of having "only" my programs on my internal "C"
    >> SATA
    >> | drive and saving all my personal created information on an "external"
    >> SATA
    >> | drive?
    >> | Thanks for your imput!
    >> |

    >> I think that it is an excellent idea. What I do, is keep all of my
    >> Windows and Program files on my main hard drive, and I have a second
    >> internal for personal stuff. If C crashes or if Windows has to be
    >> re-installed, I still have my personal stuff. Also, on my D: drive, I
    >> keep a folder called Setup Files. Stuff I download for installation,
    >> such as AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc. are ready to re-install on the fresh
    >> C: drive, without having to spend hours searching and downloading to
    >> replace the important stuff on the main drive.

    , Jan 22, 2007
  9. Me/PDX

    WhzzKdd Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:10:18 -0500, "doS" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> use cds or dvds instead....
    >>

    > I have 800 Gigs..that's a lot of CDs.<g>

    Well, that's about 100 double layer DVDs ;)

    I imagine most of that is video, music, photos, etc., that don't change
    regularly. Back them up once and you're done. I did that with mine, and then
    I only have to worry about data that changes (documents, spreadsheets, etc.)
    WhzzKdd, Jan 22, 2007
  10. Me/PDX

    Guest

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:26:26 -0800, "WhzzKdd" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:10:18 -0500, "doS" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> use cds or dvds instead....
    >>>

    >> I have 800 Gigs..that's a lot of CDs.<g>
    >>

    >Well, that's about 100 double layer DVDs ;)
    >
    >I imagine most of that is video, music, photos, etc., that don't change
    >regularly. Back them up once and you're done. I did that with mine, and then
    >I only have to worry about data that changes (documents, spreadsheets, etc.)

    I have one of these.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2509721
    I'm considering buying one of these soon.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2204150

    I have a couple smaller Iomega's as well.

    You have to be nuts to buy internals now. Too much heat and an all round PITA.
    , Jan 22, 2007
  11. Me/PDX

    Me/PDX Guest

    oops you caught me...pardon my ignorance..........am i suppose to post ONLY
    to one news group and one only?
    thanks for your reply.........i don't want to abuse newsgroups!!!!!!!!!!!

    Me/PDX, Jan 22, 2007
  12. Me/PDX

    Otter Guest

    In news:J5Vsh.68979$,
    Me/PDX <> typed:

    > oops you caught me...pardon my ignorance..........am i suppose to
    > post ONLY to one news group and one only?

    No. It's your choice, so post away.

    > thanks for your reply.........i don't want to abuse newsgroups!!!!!!!!!!!

    Why not? Everyone else does. (It a peculiar thing about newsgroups - no-one
    is ever harmed by anything that anyone does.)
    Otter, Jan 22, 2007