    router which is running DHCP and this computer is set to automatically obtain
    an IP address. When the connection isn't going down everything works fine and
    there seems to be no common event around each disconnection.
    =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEZpbmxheXNvbg==?=, Sep 2, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEZpbmxheXNvbg==?=

    Guest

    On 2-Sep-2006, =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEZpbmxheXNvbg==?=
    <> wrote:

    > I've recently built a new machine which includes a Linksys WMP54G. For about
    > two weeks it was fine but today it's been getting disconnected from my
    > wireless network and having to reconnect.

    Some source of interference?

    Try static addresses, DHCP seems to be a one attempt system, it
    it fails it waits, and waits, until you do a repair or reboot.
    I'm using a wireless USB adapter and USB switch to cover
    two machines, with static addresses it switches between the two
    with no problems. It doesn't work with Zero Config, just hangs.
    , Sep 2, 2006

  3. "" wrote:

    > On 2-Sep-2006, =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEZpbmxheXNvbg==?=
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I've recently built a new machine which includes a Linksys WMP54G. For about
    > > two weeks it was fine but today it's been getting disconnected from my
    > > wireless network and having to reconnect.

    > Some source of interference?
    >
    > Try static addresses, DHCP seems to be a one attempt system, it
    > it fails it waits, and waits, until you do a repair or reboot.
    > I'm using a wireless USB adapter and USB switch to cover
    > two machines, with static addresses it switches between the two
    > with no problems. It doesn't work with Zero Config, just hangs.

    I can't see what would be causing the interference, the new machine is in
    the same place as the old one was and that was problem free. The only thing I
    can see as changing is there's now two machines, both using wireless, next to
    each other but I've tried manually disconnecting one from the network and the
    problem still remains.

    As for the DHCP I'll give it a try but it doesn't seem likely. I can obtain
    an IP with every machine on the network and when the connection does go down
    it always manages to reconnect and obtain the same IP.
    =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEZpbmxheXNvbg==?=, Sep 2, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEZpbmxheXNvbg==?=

    Lem Guest

    Ian Finlayson wrote:

    > "" wrote:
    >

    >>On 2-Sep-2006, =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEZpbmxheXNvbg==?=
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've recently built a new machine which includes a Linksys WMP54G. For about
    >>>two weeks it was fine but today it's been getting disconnected from my
    >>>wireless network and having to reconnect.

    >>Some source of interference?
    >>
    >>Try static addresses, DHCP seems to be a one attempt system, it
    >>it fails it waits, and waits, until you do a repair or reboot.
    >>I'm using a wireless USB adapter and USB switch to cover
    >>two machines, with static addresses it switches between the two
    >>with no problems. It doesn't work with Zero Config, just hangs.
    >>

    > I can't see what would be causing the interference, the new machine is in
    > the same place as the old one was and that was problem free. The only thing I
    > can see as changing is there's now two machines, both using wireless, next to
    > each other but I've tried manually disconnecting one from the network and the
    > problem still remains.
    >
    > As for the DHCP I'll give it a try but it doesn't seem likely. I can obtain
    > an IP with every machine on the network and when the connection does go down
    > it always manages to reconnect and obtain the same IP.

    Disconnects several times a minute is too often to be something simple
    like a power-save mode kicking in, and there are supposed to be
    mechanisms in the 802.11 protocol to prevent mutual interference from
    "two [802.11g units] next to each other." Just in case, you might try
    turning off the old one and see if the new one still drops frequently.

    On the other hand, there are a lot of other sources of interference in
    the 2.4GHz band: microwave ovens, cordless phones, and Bluetooth
    devices, to name a few. You don't happen to have one of the "pre-N"
    wireless devices do you? Or maybe there's one nearby. Those are known to
    cause problems.

    Try moving the new computer a little bit. Unless it's in exactly the
    same location and orientation as the old one, you can't draw any
    conclusions about interference or lack thereof. The wavelength of
    2.4GHz (used for 802.11G) is less than 5 inches -- it doesn't take much
    of a move to change what the antenna sees. And even if you exactly
    duplicated the location and orientation, the new card undoubtedly has
    different antenna characteristics and different sensitivity to
    intereference.

    You can try looking in EventViewer (Start > Run > eventvwr) and see if
    there's anything going on. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you,
    other than you may have a flakey card.
    Lem, Sep 2, 2006
  5. "Lem" wrote:

    > Ian Finlayson wrote:
    >

    > > "" wrote:

    > >>Some source of interference?
    > >>
    > >>Try static addresses, DHCP seems to be a one attempt system, it
    > >>it fails it waits, and waits, until you do a repair or reboot.
    > >>I'm using a wireless USB adapter and USB switch to cover
    > >>two machines, with static addresses it switches between the two
    > >>with no problems. It doesn't work with Zero Config, just hangs.
    > >>

    > > I can't see what would be causing the interference, the new machine is in
    > > the same place as the old one was and that was problem free. The only thing I
    > > can see as changing is there's now two machines, both using wireless, next to
    > > each other but I've tried manually disconnecting one from the network and the
    > > problem still remains.
    > >
    > > As for the DHCP I'll give it a try but it doesn't seem likely. I can obtain
    > > an IP with every machine on the network and when the connection does go down
    > > it always manages to reconnect and obtain the same IP.

    > Disconnects several times a minute is too often to be something simple
    > like a power-save mode kicking in, and there are supposed to be
    > mechanisms in the 802.11 protocol to prevent mutual interference from
    > "two [802.11g units] next to each other." Just in case, you might try
    > turning off the old one and see if the new one still drops frequently.
    >
    > On the other hand, there are a lot of other sources of interference in
    > the 2.4GHz band: microwave ovens, cordless phones, and Bluetooth
    > devices, to name a few. You don't happen to have one of the "pre-N"
    > wireless devices do you? Or maybe there's one nearby. Those are known to
    > cause problems.
    >
    > Try moving the new computer a little bit. Unless it's in exactly the
    > same location and orientation as the old one, you can't draw any
    > conclusions about interference or lack thereof. The wavelength of
    > 2.4GHz (used for 802.11G) is less than 5 inches -- it doesn't take much
    > of a move to change what the antenna sees. And even if you exactly
    > duplicated the location and orientation, the new card undoubtedly has
    > different antenna characteristics and different sensitivity to
    > intereference.
    >
    > You can try looking in EventViewer (Start > Run > eventvwr) and see if
    > there's anything going on. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you,
    > other than you may have a flakey card.

    Thanks for the help. I tried turning off the DHCP and gave it a static IP
    and there hasn't been a problem so far.

    Obviously because of the lack of a rhythm to the disconnection it's
    impossible to say the problem has gone completely. If it comes back I'll try
    moving it around. I went from a USB adaptor to a PCI card so the antenna has
    moved almost a metre so there may be a possiblity that it could be the
    problem.
    =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEZpbmxheXNvbg==?=, Sep 2, 2006