Intermittent Wireless Access

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I have a Sony VAIO laptop with an internal LAN-Express IEEE Wireless LAN
    Adapter that has been working well up until 2 days ago.
    We use a Belkin Wireless Router that is connected to a DSL modem.

    The problem is in a nutshell is that when I am able to get a signal from the
    router, this is very unreliable and intermittent, often not lasting more than
    5-10 minutes at a time before dropping the signal, stating that the Wireless
    Network Connection is not available.
    A matter of anything from 1 minute to a few hours later however without any
    intervention from myself, the signal and the Wireless access is restored.
    The distance between the laptop and the router is about 18 inches with very
    little in the way to reduce the signal.

    I have tried various different websites and solutions including disabling,
    turning off the Adapter, turning on and re-enabling the Adapter & also
    removing and reinstalling the drivers for the Adapter without any long
    lasting success.

    Incidentally, we have another almost identical laptop that has not shown any
    of these problems.

    Internet Access via the normal Local Area Connection is fine and when the
    router configuration is checked, both of the laptops are shown as DHCP
    clients which makes things even more strange as that would imply that the
    router can see my laptop but not the other way around........

    Can anyone help??

    Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks!!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=, Apr 8, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=

    WLW Guest

    Hi, Canu -

    You may want to look at:

    http://www.ezine.com/QandA/NoWireless.shtml

    HTH,
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    WLW, Apr 9, 2005

  3. Hi William,

    Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I really appreciate them.

    I tried the various fixes (including the "Black Magic" fixes) and
    unfortunately, I still don't have wireless connectivity.
    I'm definitely coming to the conclusion that the problem is hardware rather
    than software related as I haven't been able to get a signal from the router
    since Thursday and I also tried a ping test today without any success.

    I think that I will take a trip to the local PC repair centre to see if they
    can shed any light on this.

    Thanks again.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=, Apr 9, 2005