Intermittent Web Connectivity- Timeouts

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skitter, Aug 1, 2008.

  1. Skitter

    Skitter Guest

    I have an issue on my AMD 64 machine running Windows XP Professional 64-bit.

    I can connect to the internet using Yahoo, Myspace, and MSN messangers, but
    whenever I bring up a web browser (IE or Firefox, does the same on both) it
    sometimes connects to a web page, and other times times out a massive amount
    of times before finally connecting and bringing up the page.

    I can be reading my email on my MSN account and it might load the page, let
    me sign in, and read a few emails before it starts timing out again. I have
    tried connecting to a web page with no other programs running, or with
    multiple, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

    I thought at first maybe it was a setting on my router firewall, but it does
    the same timeout delay with my router's web interface, so that brought me to
    the computer itself. My Wife's computer, running XP Home has no issues
    whatsoever, and I didn't either on my machine running XP Home until I wiped
    it and installed XP Pro 64.

    The only software firewall I have running is the Windows Firewall, and my
    Antivirus is Symantec Endpoint Protection (Anti-virus only, Firewall was not
    installed).

    I run into the same issue with a fresh install with no additional programs
    installed, so that makes me believe it is something having to do with the OS.

    The following is the Hardware I am running on my system:

    AMD X2 6000+
    4GB OCR Gamer Gold Xtreme
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo with NForce Chipset (NForce Firewall not installed
    either)
    ASUS NVidia 9600GT 512 X2 SLI
    2x 250 GB HD 1x IDE (Storage) and 1x SATA (Master)
    Soundblaster Audigy Live 24-bit
    Samsung DVD-RW

    Dunno if any of that is usefull, but included it just in case.

    Any help would be appreciated in this matter as I have been bumping my head
    on the issue for the past 2 months to no avail.

    Skitter, Aug 1, 2008

  2. Even if you didn't install the nVidia firewall some of the things that make
    it work is running in the background without telling you. The 'fix' is to
    install the nVidia manager and then un-install it. If I remember correctly,
    I couldn't browse Internet at all before doing this, there was nothing
    intermittent about it, so this may not apply, but if I have to re-install
    any of the drivers from the system CD, I usually still forget this.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 1, 2008

  3. goodness, is that thing still causing problems? And Carlos wonders why I
    won't buy nvidious...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 2, 2008
  4. Skitter

    Jane C Guest

    And then add to that the fact that approximately 25% of Vista crashes have
    been caused by nVidia drivers..... ;-)

    > goodness, is that thing still causing problems? And Carlos wonders why I
    > won't buy nvidious...
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

    Jane C, Aug 2, 2008
  5. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that it relies on a basic design-flaw
    that isn't going away with a simple driver update? It does look to me as if
    they've put separate dependent parts of the chipset support in different
    interrelating modules that all have to be initially present, before you can
    decide what parts to keep and what to leave out. It's a mess, of course, but
    I wonder if they would feel an impetus towards rewriting the whole thing as
    it is in fact working brilliantly once you get it right. On my XP x64 at
    least.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 2, 2008
  6. Skitter

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    The magic recipe is that you have to skip the last part of NVidia drivers
    installation, when it says something about installing network management
    suite or so.
    I never installed it and, of course, never had any connectivity problems.
    I am now on an ATI 790FX chipset and have spent almost two weeks until I
    could tame it.
    Now I wonder, why did abandon Nvidia for mobo chipsets?
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 2, 2008
  7. Well, that trick has certainly never worked for me, if I update ANYTHING
    from the system CD I must reinstall the network manager and then promptly
    uninstall it. The specific chipset has to be the differentiator in this
    matter?

    All though I do violently hate it, the board works so well that I am fully
    willing to forgive nVidia for creating such a major inconvenience. Shame on
    them, but I would buy another one.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 2, 2008
  8. Skitter

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Trick worked on ASUS A8N-SLI (nForce 4 chipset, socket 939) and MSI K9N
    Neo-F (nForce 550 chipset, socket AM2).
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 2, 2008
  9. Quite - mine is a M2N32SLI-WiFi - Chipset 590 (AM2).

    The older system is an Asrock and a VIA Chipset and socket 939 so, do not
    apply anyway.

    Discrepancies never surprise me, be they nVidia or not! ;0/)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 3, 2008
  10. Skitter

    Skitter Guest

    I tried that fix before and it didn't work, so I tried it again, and still no
    luck.

    The problem appeared less frequent after I removed my DNS entries and set my
    router as my DNS relay. I still have the issue, just not as bad. It is
    definetly computer related though as I get the same timeout on my routers web
    admin tool.

    Next thing to try is to DL the newest driver version from nVidia, but not
    sure if that would fix it or not.

    Thanks for the suggestion, but no cigar yet.

    Skitter

    Skitter, Aug 8, 2008