Intermittent Start Up problems on PC

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ., Aug 15, 2007.

  1. .

    . Guest

    Hi all,

    My PC, An AMD Athlon 4200 Dual Core with 2Gb RAM has intermittent start-up
    problems.

    It doesn't happen on every startup, but all too frequently, and I would like
    it sorted.

    Basically, when I press the power button the fans whirr into action, the
    light comes on and I get a flash of the bios screen, and Vista Ultimate
    loads up...

    However, if it's playing up, the fans whirr, the light comes on, but it
    doesn't progress - it hangs in this state until hard powered off. If the PC
    isn't going to start, there is no signal sent to the monitor at any point.

    The only recent change on the system is an additional hard drive fitted
    about 6 months ago. However, the problem only started about 2 months ago, so
    I don't know if it's that.

    Can anyone suggest any things to investigate, please?

    ., Aug 15, 2007

  2. .

    gowanoh Guest

    This is a hardware problem.
    I hope its just your power supply as this can be a symptom.
    A failing hard drive (your primary drive) can do this and often you will
    also get random BSODs after the computer has booted. It would be a good idea
    to back up now. A failing power supply can generate BSODs too.
    Major motherboard component failures, e.g. CPU or the chip set, tend to be
    catastrophic and do not work intermittently.
    Software diagnostics are not always reliable. However the Microsoft memory
    diagnostic is free and if it is a RAM chip the diagnostic tends to fail very
    soon after starting it.

    Unless you are knowledgeable about electronics and have access to tools most
    PC troubleshooting involves making sure all add-in cards and components are
    seated and then swapping out components. All PC repair involves swapping out
    the bad for the good.

    Otherwise you have to pay a computer repair service to diagnose.

    gowanoh, Aug 15, 2007

  3. .

    Brian Guest

    Try reseating your video card, if the problem persists, swap the power
    supply, that should cure the problem. Try upgrading too. If you are running
    a 350 or 400 watt (for example) try upgrading to a 450-500 watt. Power
    supplies are not a place to skimp either, get the best one you can afford,
    you'll be much better off in the long run.

    Brian, Aug 16, 2007