    located on the screen. If all programs and directories are closed, it
    mostly works normally with no interruptions.

    I am running Windows 7 x64 with all updates current.
    Rich, Mar 3, 2010

  2. Rich

    Tom Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Intermittently, when I move the mouse, the pointer will freeze for about
    > 1-2 seconds. At the same time I get a sound "Device Disconnect" or less
    > frequently "Device Connect." I have been unable to track down the cause
    > of this intermittent behavior, and would like any good suggestions as to
    > how to locate the source short of rebuilding from scratch and waiting to
    > see if it happens after each step. It appears to start only after I have
    > opened a directory or a program running in compatibility mode, but it
    > isn't particular about which directory or which program or where the
    > pointer is located on the screen. If all programs and directories are
    > closed, it mostly works normally with no interruptions.
    >
    > I am running Windows 7 x64 with all updates current.

    Try changing your mouse setting to a lower speed rate in the Control panel,
    then post back with the results.
    Tom, Mar 4, 2010

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Changing the mouse speed to the lowest was, if anything, worse. Changing it
    to the highest is about the best it gets.

    Rich, Mar 4, 2010
  4. "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > Intermittently, when I move the mouse, the pointer will freeze for about
    > 1-2 seconds. At the same time I get a sound "Device Disconnect" or less
    > frequently "Device Connect." I have been unable to track down the cause
    > of this intermittent behavior, and would like any good suggestions as to
    > how to locate the source short of rebuilding from scratch and waiting to
    > see if it happens after each step. It appears to start only after I have
    > opened a directory or a program running in compatibility mode, but it
    > isn't particular about which directory or which program or where the
    > pointer is located on the screen. If all programs and directories are
    > closed, it mostly works normally with no interruptions.
    >
    > I am running Windows 7 x64 with all updates current.

    What kind of mouse? E.g. if it is wireless perhaps you need new batteries?

    ---
    Robert Aldwinckle, Mar 4, 2010
  5. Rich

    Carlos Guest

    Rich,
    In order to discard a hardware failure you might want to try the two
    following tests:
    1.- Plug your mouse into another usb port.
    2.- Try another mouse.
    Those are very easy steps.
    If the problem persists we should then start with software issues.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 4, 2010
  6. Welcome back! Hope you had a good vacation. I'm recovering from an Olympics
    hangover, and trying to get refocused to real work.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 4, 2010
  7. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Thank you one and all - it would appear that the Logitech optical mouse
    (cord type) is the problem. Switching back to an ordinary PS2 mouse seems
    to be working.

    Rich, Mar 4, 2010
  8. Rich

    James Kosin Guest

    On 3/4/2010 11:12 AM, Rich wrote:
    > Thank you one and all - it would appear that the Logitech optical mouse
    > (cord type) is the problem. Switching back to an ordinary PS2 mouse
    > seems to be working.

    Rick,

    Be sure you have the correct drivers for the mouse installed from
    Logitech. Best usually to search the model number on the bottom of the
    mouse. Logitech has a occasional tendency to stop supporting older
    hardware with the newest drivers, and although they may appear to work
    there is usually something broken.

    James
    James Kosin, Mar 4, 2010
  9. Rich

    Carlos Guest

    Hi Charlie,
    This is an advanced return.
    I am spending some days in Buenos Aires at my daughter's house (with
    Hi-speed Internet) before returning to Rio Grande on Sunday.
    Will check the NG every time my wife doesn't take me out for shopping.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 4, 2010
  10. Ah, sneaking into the NGs on vacation, are you. Naughty, naughty. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 4, 2010