Intermittent loss of network with NG WG311v2

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pat, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    I've got a WG311v2 PCI wireless client in a Win2K box;
    periodically, it drops the network connection (ipconfig says the media
    is disconnected and /renew won't repair the connection). The actual
    period ranges from minutes to days, and *seems* to start out longer
    after resetting the PC, but I don't have any hard statistics on this
    behavior yet. I'm running with WPA-PSK, and haven't tried running with
    encryption disabled or with WEP to see if there's any connection (this
    would be weird, but possible). I have a notebook with a built-in
    wireless
    PCI card and another with a WG511v2, both of which can connect to the
    router and network fine during the outages on the WG311v2.

    I can repair the connection by simply opening the Smart Configuration
    system tray utility and doing anything that causes it to "validate
    settings", e.g., disabling/enabling encryption, changing the SSID
    selection from netgear to ANY, changing the profile (I have two that
    are exactly the same). Presumably, there's some sort action performed
    by the utility (card reset?) that causes the problem to disappear.
    Also,
    if I wait long enough (> a few minutes), the connection repairs itself.

    It's more annoying than anything else, since I don't have to reboot the
    system to fix it, but I was wondering if anyone else has see this on
    Win2K (it's not XP, so the zero configuration isn't running). I've
    already updated the drivers to the latest version to get WPA-PSK
    support, tried different channels, changed the transmit power (in case
    the card was overheating), moved the card to different slots, and
    checked
    the wireless signal (the utility shows a strong signal and the SSID,
    but
    IP doesn't work).

    Pat, Mar 2, 2005

  2. Pat

    RSD Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a WG311v2 PCI wireless client in a Win2K box;
    > periodically, it drops the network connection (ipconfig says the media
    > is disconnected and /renew won't repair the connection). The actual
    > period ranges from minutes to days, and *seems* to start out longer
    > after resetting the PC, but I don't have any hard statistics on this
    > behavior yet. I'm running with WPA-PSK, and haven't tried running with
    > encryption disabled or with WEP to see if there's any connection (this
    > would be weird, but possible). I have a notebook with a built-in
    > wireless
    > PCI card and another with a WG511v2, both of which can connect to the
    > router and network fine during the outages on the WG311v2.
    >
    > I can repair the connection by simply opening the Smart Configuration
    > system tray utility and doing anything that causes it to "validate
    > settings", e.g., disabling/enabling encryption, changing the SSID
    > selection from netgear to ANY, changing the profile (I have two that
    > are exactly the same). Presumably, there's some sort action performed
    > by the utility (card reset?) that causes the problem to disappear.
    > Also,
    > if I wait long enough (> a few minutes), the connection repairs itself.
    >
    > It's more annoying than anything else, since I don't have to reboot the
    > system to fix it, but I was wondering if anyone else has see this on
    > Win2K (it's not XP, so the zero configuration isn't running). I've
    > already updated the drivers to the latest version to get WPA-PSK
    > support, tried different channels, changed the transmit power (in case
    > the card was overheating), moved the card to different slots, and
    > checked
    > the wireless signal (the utility shows a strong signal and the SSID,
    > but
    > IP doesn't work).

    Did you notice my post "having trouble with your PCI wireless......"?
    I had very similar prob to yourself - never sure why, but an external
    antenna fixed it straight away. I believe because it gives a clearer
    uncluttered signal and enables the NIC to maintain a good signal and i
    "ignore" interferences.

    Rob

    RSD, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    What was your signal strength before you got the external antenna?
    Mine is currently in the low 80% range.

    Pat, Mar 5, 2005
  4. Pat

    Rob D Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > What was your signal strength before you got the external antenna?
    > Mine is currently in the low 80% range.

    Previously in low 70's now 90% plus. (Both strength and quality). More
    important - it hasn't jumped out on me for days now!

    Rob

    Rob D, Mar 6, 2005